[Challenge/Easy/Small] Save the high jump!

• 12 Replies

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
[Challenge/Easy/Small] Save the high jump!
« on: March 21, 2013, 17:51:42 »
Guys, I'm presenting you my first level called Save the high jump! All is original, no custom tilesets, no custom music etc.

The story is very simple but not so bad - about toasts who have Juni's high jump.

It's very small (19 screens) + 1 secret area :D

Download it here: http://files.uloziste.com/5bf35d1ee2377120/ (just click on my level ;))
(and of course you can find it in Knytt Stories Level Archive too, because uloziste.com is limited - 30 days for each file, then will be deleted.
Fixed verison: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/CWolvie%20-%20Save%20the%20high%20jump%20v2.knytt.bin

Enjoy it! (and report bugs, voids etc.)

EDIT: I forgot to post screenshots:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 18:06:50 by CWolvie »
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Easy/Small] Save the high jump!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 22:07:41 »
Fun little level! Great job, especially for your first level!

I actually REALLY liked the idea of the story... that the Toasts had stolen the High-Jump... I thought that was fun and creative. I would like to see the concept expanded... maybe have them as recurring villains throughout a level?

The level is mostly polished and free of bugs, which is an accomplishment for your first release of your first level, but there is a wallswim between the Double-Jump Screen and the screen to its right.

For a little constructive criticism, I might make your screens a little more interesting and less "flat." I really liked Night City, for instance, also the laboratory and the mushroom area. But the lava area was very... straight and rigid and flat. Also, you can might your secret area a little bit better... that's what the detector is for!

Anyways, keep up the good work, and I look forward to more levels from you! Have a star!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 22:36:28 »
Level archive link
It is great job for your first level. I liked Night city, but I think that you should put more background stuff and scenery into other screens. They look little flat. Also underground area would look better with outlined blocks.
I did not notice any major bugs, so keep going, I want to see your next one.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 22:43:29 by Polana »

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:50:16 »
Great level! Maybe it should have more background, but it's very climatic.

:hiddenstar: for Night City!

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 14:59:49 »
As everyone has mentioned already, this is very good for a first attempt at a level.  There are no voids or grossly unfair enemy/save point positionings.  However, I did find a misalignment that led to a wallswim, on x995 y1002, going right.  I would like to offer you some tips for level construction, based on things in this level, though.

First, there's very little in the background in most places.  For the most part, I feel uncomfortable playing a level where I am in a cave with no cave walls.  Just floors and ceilings.  A little more detail and creation of depth where appropriate goes a long way, believe me.  Don't worry, though.  My first attempt at a level was kind of like this too.  If you spend the time to study the visuals and how they work, you will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Second, some of the screen changes, from the caves to the laboratory and the Night City are jarring and do not blend together.  In some cases, like if you are conveying space-warping, going through a doorway into a house, or making a dream sequence, this works, but if you are just moving from one screen to the next, these areas should blend together.  If you want a good idea how that works, take a look at any given Nifflas level with multiple areas.

Third, the secret area really isn't much of a secret.  I was expecting it to be a little more... how you say... hidden.  Instead, you try to scare us off by saying it goes to the Void, which, once you get to know us better, you will realize is more of an attractant than a repellent.  We simply love finding mistakes in other peoples' levels!   >)  In addition, the secret area lacks substance.  It's not enough just to find a hidden room.  There needs to be something in that room that makes finding it worth the while.  This could be a wide variety of elements, including an optional powerup, a key or warp to an alternate ending, a cut-scene, a blurb that breaks the fourth wall, a passageway that allows for fast-travel, a song that you can't hear anywhere else in the level, etc.

Fourth, there isn't a whole lot of ambiance in this level.  In my opinion, if you are somewhere in a worldly setting, there needs to be some kind of ambiance happening.  You do have some ambiance playing in some areas, but many others are eerily silent, with no reason behind it.  Whether we notice as players or not, our ears will guide us almost as much as our eyes on whether or not we truly enjoy a level.

Still, you did good.  I strongly suggest for your next level, should you choose to make one, to put an emphasis on the story.  Doing that will set it apart from almost every other KS level ever made, even if it doesn't have any COs or custom music/graphics.  I look forward to seeing what you do next.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 15:12:04 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 18:06:11 »
Fubaka: thank you for your little manual! it really helped me :)
...to level itself, it's my first try and I wanted to make something simple and maybe semi-childish before I start creating a really interesting levels...personally I call it "experiment" ;)
Next one will be better.

Wallswim? Yeah, I see it now. It's fixed and new link from KSLA is added.

And thanks for the stars :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 18:08:30 by CWolvie »
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 02:45:19 »
Just finished this. I liked it! You definitely need to work on your backgrounds, and I'd appreciate some more variations in elevation (hey, that rhymed!) but overall that was a fine freshman outing.

Offline Sleem

• Ponies are cool..........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 18:19:23 »
For your information, I have uploaded a playthrough of this level on my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXJ7k-LES6M
Watch in awe as I end every comment I've ever written and ever will write with the most epic signature in the universe!!!!!!!!!

poop

Offline McGloomy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 22:56:03 »
I found this level through the link in your signature and I really enjoyed it. It's one of those fun little adventures that I love Knytt Stories for... I agree that Night City was the visual highlight of this level. It would have been fun to have a little more interaction with the toasts or see what happens once Juni has her high jump back. I know it's been a while, but have you considered making more levels?  8)

Offline cqn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 23:25:34 »
Such a fine level for your first one.

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 20:08:16 »
I found this level through the link in your signature and I really enjoyed it. It's one of those fun little adventures that I love Knytt Stories for... I agree that Night City was the visual highlight of this level. It would have been fun to have a little more interaction with the toasts or see what happens once Juni has her high jump back. I know it's been a while, but have you considered making more levels?  8)

I'm glad that you like my first level! It is not so great, because I used KS editor for the first time :D.

Lack of time, lack of time :D. But yes, I have two or three levels in progress, but they are not so good so I was forced to let them be. My mind is blank right now, I wonder why. I accidentally broke a mirror today so it isn't good for my future levels at all :D. Anyway, I will try to make something better than those levels :).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 20:09:58 by CWolvie »
Finished levels:
(my first try)

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 19:51:34 »
I was thinking about slightly improved version of this level, what do you think? :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 20:00:05 by CWolvie »
Finished levels:
(my first try)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 21:34:16 »
It's always a good idea to improve your old work. An extended secret area would be neat :D

By the way, I just made a review/commentary post about your level in Fubaka's KS reviews thread.
Some KS levels by me: