It is possible to create animations of juni moving without giving control to her

• 31 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
I was wondering about new stuff that you can do with Knytt Stories, and I came up with something interesting.

You can create predefined animations in knytt stories. For instance, you can make an elevator that juni can ride, or a moving platform, or other things you can imagine. You can also use this technique to create a nice animated cut-scene that the player has to watch and can't skip.

There is a limitation though, during the animation, the player will not be able to move, so you cannot make a platform that moves, and make the player able to jump off the platform at a given moment, unless you program that in your animation as well.

requirements
* You must know how to make custom objects of any size.
* Your level must have shifts.

Principle
The idea is to use a custom object to play an animation of whatever you want to happen. Juni has to be drawn into the animation aswell, so if you are in the room, you'll see 2 juni's.
Next, we'll be taking advantage of wallswimming. If you wallswim and you don't move, you will slowly move up. See here, a timer! :) Now of course, the player can move making the timer unreliable. In order to fix this, we can place a sticky object at the place where Juni will be teleported to inside the wall. Due to the sticky object, the player will start to rise slowly. Place a shift there, and you have a guaranteed delay for a shift. Now, of course you'll see juni twice at the screen. In order to combat that, we can place a custom object over juni to mask it with the background. Result, juni will be seen in the animation and after the second shift is triggered, juni gets to move again.

Making the level and incorporate the idea
At a certain place, you want to place a shift. This shift will warp juni to an identical screen. (so you have to make a copy of the screen where you want to have the animation)

Ensure that there's a solid tile on layer 3 at the place where Juni will spawn, and at the one above that tile too. Then put 2 Sticky objects in these tiles, and also include a shift in the top one.

It will look like this:

[1] <- contains shift and sticky and tile on layer 3.
[3] <- optional, contains sticky and tile on layer 3.
[2] <- contains sticky and tile on layer 3. Juni also will be teleported there.

If necessary you can put tile 3 in there too, but is not required. If you do so, the time of the animation will be significantly longer. And ofcource 3 can be done many times too.

Thirdly, the shape of the shift also has influence of the timing. Experiment with that shape to get the right timing.

Put one or several custom objects over the 2 or 3 tiles and ensure its set on layer 6 or 7 (in front of juni).

Set the shift to go to the earlier screen, but different location, or if you want, an identical copy as the first one, but with different things (like removing the old shift)

Lastly, Measure how long it takes to run the animation, and create a custom object with an animation that runs exactly as long as your timer gives you. Longer is not bad, but the last frames will not be seen.

Known issues
before and after the animation, you will see 2 small pauses because there are shifts involved, and thus a new screen has to load. This can look bad when played from an external device, like a usb stick. This means, that you should be carefull and not overdo the animations because the player will notice them. Besides, the player can't move during the animations, so its never a good idea to restrict the player that often.

I'm curious about one thing though: what do you guys think of this idea? :)

download example:
With special thanks to EgoMassive for creating an example level.
download AutomationTechnique.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 14:04:17 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Well, to be honest I had already thought of it. I was going to implement it into a level, but I lost interest.
Its a great idea though. I'd definitely want to play a level that uses this cleverly. :)
On a side note, you can also use this to create short animated cut scenes without Juni in, to show what is happening in other parts of the world, or even full screen animated painting-like thingamajigs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 13:35:22 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Evil

• View Profile
to show what is happening in other parts of the world, or even full screen animated painting-like thingamajigs.

wasnt there a level that did that?

the unicorn flying down the earth :)

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Well, to be honest I had already thought of it. I was going to implement it into a level, but I lost interest.

Me too!  :^^:

My plan for Temp IV was to make the player press left, right, down or jump in order to trigger a movement animation (run left, right, climb down or up) done with custom objects; it would have looked a bit like a graphical adventure game. Despite the level being as short as the others, it was still a pain to do, so I'm giving up for now.

Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
I've actually used this in my level Darkness, although I mostly used it as a timer. I had a false image of Juni showing up where she should have been so she didn't vanish, while the real Juni was hidden behind black COs on layer 8. If I recall correctly, I had no default-style cutscenes in that one, which is a format I plan to follow in any levels I make from now on. :3

Don't forget that if you want to make the timing even more precise, you can always have Juni falling instead of wallswimming. Or both, if you make use of shifts.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
The (abandoned) level Sputnik kinda used an idea similar to this when the spaceship malfunctioned.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
The (abandoned) level Sputnik kinda used an idea similar to this when the spaceship malfunctioned.

...Sputzna.
good bye

This? :)
Exactly what I was thinking.

You can also use this technique to create a nice animated cut-scene that the player has to watch and can't skip.
Alternately, you could place shift (non-touch) along the path of the wallswim that the user can press down on to skip.

...Sputzna.
Sacrilege.
Lurk more.

Offline inky84

• It's a Gem. Is it?
    • View Profile
I was going to use a similar aspect in an arcade style fighting game I abandoned, where there would be a "Juni" walking around via custom animations, with the real juni hidden in a corner. This could allow manual gravity, and of course, manual AI To defeat.. The closest prototype was an unfinished "cheese cutting" game. Seriously. These things sound like good ideas until you try them. It really does get tedious.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
I actually planned objects for my KS mod that would make you gain/lose control and make Juni automatically move in a direction or jump when colliding, but since there's KSA by BloxMaster I never felt like working on another mod. Maybe he could add it?

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
I personally like the idea, and had already planned on using it before. You gave a nice description though, and it does the idea justice.

My cutscenes for BSoaKFF are in a similar fashion, but they're so unique in comparison that they'll still be fresh, and awe-spiring.

I actually planned objects for my KS mod that would make you gain/lose control and make Juni automatically move in a direction or jump when colliding, but since there's KSA by BloxMaster I never felt like working on another mod. Maybe he could add it?

I think he should, why don't you bring it up with Bloxmaster and see what his opinion is?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
BloxMaster has already stated that he's stopped working on KSA. The current version doesn't support anything like this, and there's probably not going to be another version. :/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 20:06:10 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
I have a lot features still planned for KSA, and I don't see why something like this couldn't be done. However PickYerPoison is correct, I have stopped KSA for now. I may try again to work on KSA if there is enough support for it. Having said that, I feel really bad that KSA has stopped others from making their own mods. Looki is far more talented than I in the coding department. I guess what I am trying to say, is there is a possibility of me working on KSA, but in the meantime I don't want people to not work on their own mods because of KSA. Anyway, that was a bit of a rant, and a bit offtopic, but I guess it needed to be said somewhere.