upload speed very low

• 28 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: upload speed very low
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 11:46:51 »
There's a difference between upload and download speed.

In your case, the upload speed matters, and .33mbit is really really slow.

There are most likely problems at your ISP. That your signal is good really means nothing if you're dealing with the internet. Sure, if its terrible it will slow down your internet too, but not the other way around.

If it still is slow now, you might want to call technical support and notify them that they have an issue on their network.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 01:33:23 »
This thing is terrible D:<
Now its slowing down my entire internet. It sped up awhile after I posted this thread, but now its sloooooow.
I did the dns thing, its still slow. I turned off ipv6, and it sped up for only half a second.
And the rest of the computers in the house (which are all windows), have fast speed. My internet is biased :(
Anymore suggestions? I think there's nothing wrong with the network. :(

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 01:46:33 »
Hmmm...

This is starting to sound like a hardware issue.  Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for all your network hardware.

That is to say, (assuming you're running windows), Start->Run, type in "cmd" (no quotes), press enter.
In the Command Prompt, type in "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) and press enter.
Google all the names that pop up (adding the words "Driver", "Download", and whatever version of windows you have).

Me:
2.99Mbps Down
0.96Mbps Up
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:52:35 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 02:17:40 »
Like how much mbps is average?

EDIT:
oh mai gaaaaaaawwwwwddddd, does it have to do with interferance, because I see about 7 routers listed :00000000
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:05:09 by Evil »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 13:42:09 »
Shouldn't make a difference how many wireless networks it can find, just how effectively the one you're connected to is functioning. Although I don't have any experience of having loads of networks in the area, I just don't see any reason it should affect anything  O_o

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 18:11:02 »
Shouldn't make a difference how many wireless networks it can find, just how effectively the one you're connected to is functioning. Although I don't have any experience of having loads of networks in the area, I just don't see any reason it should affect anything  O_o

Actually with wireless connections it really can matter.

If a lot of connections are found in your neighborhood, and you try connecting to a few, it will remember that. When a connection gets a too low signal (or another gets a stronger signal than the currently connected signal) it will disconnect you and connect you to another router. This also means that you'll get different internet speeds, but most likelly it will work badly.

To fix this, remove all your favorite connections, then search for all connections in your neighborhood and connect to your own router. Enter a password if required.

Also, if you have your wireless connection unsecured (no password) its very likely that you have someone in your neighborhood that is using your connection and even more likely to be the cause of a slow connection. So ensure that its password protected.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 22:02:20 »

Actually with wireless connections it really can matter.

If a lot of connections are found in your neighborhood, and you try connecting to a few, it will remember that. When a connection gets a too low signal (or another gets a stronger signal than the currently connected signal) it will disconnect you and connect you to another router. This also means that you'll get different internet speeds, but most likelly it will work badly.

To fix this, remove all your favorite connections, then search for all connections in your neighborhood and connect to your own router. Enter a password if required.

Also, if you have your wireless connection unsecured (no password) its very likely that you have someone in your neighborhood that is using your connection and even more likely to be the cause of a slow connection. So ensure that its password protected.

Thanks. I'll try the password on router, I had the same feeling.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 06:59:14 »
yay! solved!

Code: [Select]
Last Result:
Download Speed: 4877 kbps (609.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1732 kbps (216.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Well it feels fast for me :D .

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 16:31:28 »
May I ask how you solved it? :) Others could possibly benefit from the solution.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 18:08:39 »
May I ask how you solved it? :) Others could possibly benefit from the solution.
Sorry for bumping :( I never answered.

I changed into a different connection with a password. Ever since I switched it was very fast.
My house has two connections. One with no password. One with password.

I think someone was leeching off me.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 12:34:40 »
Thanks for responding. Yeah, sounds most likely. For that reason, I never have an open connection to my wireless.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 02:58:30 »
Thanks for responding. Yeah, sounds most likely. For that reason, I never have an open connection to my wireless.

The linksys router now is in my room. The connection is still bad. :(

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 10:46:40 »

The linksys router now is in my room. The connection is still bad. :(

It can very well be that there are lots of signals in your neighbourhood. If so, you can try and change the frequency of your router to get better reception.

I'll link you to a post on lifehacker how to measure this: http://lifehacker.com/5580636/change-your-wi+fi-routers-broadcast-channel-for-a-stronger-connection

MODPlug Central Forum