KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #570 on: May 17, 2011, 15:03:07 »
Assume? You're the host, you decide. Do you like Coldmist Mountain more than QfPF?
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #571 on: May 17, 2011, 16:23:38 »
Assume? You're the host, you decide. Do you like Coldmist Mountain more than QfPF?

Haha, I hardly think I'm qualified to judge that seeing as I'm partially responsible for QfPF. I was planning to leave voting up to the fine members of this community, but if a poll here is impossible, I shall declare the two of you the winners and let you decide on the details of the next competition. Congratulations!

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 17, 2011, 18:43:34 »
I think assuming that Talps and Jetio4 are the winners is a good idea.  :shifty:

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 17, 2011, 18:46:34 »
I see what you had planned Talps, but eh...  having second place with a contest of only one entry is a fate worse than defeat.
Edit:  Think I was vague with my statement.  I'm perfectly fine with Talps and Jetio4 being triumphant this time.  (Would've joined, but A, I was without inspiration, B, it's too late, and C, Partner shortage would've occurred.)
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 17, 2011, 19:13:00 »
Talps and I talked and decided on a scoring system in 2 PM's. 1 from me 1 from him. Ok, here we go. Combined scores will reach 50. Top wins, of course.
Deadline for now is ~June 16th, but you can request extentions.

Mine:

10 points for clever and obvious shift use. More points given for having a good use of them, not just having them there.
10 points for eye-pleasingness. Enviroment, how it looks, that kind of thing.
5 points for a detector challange that does NOT make it easy to dodge everything.
Actually...
3 points for a funny and clever reference to Portal 1/2, Aperture Science, or Cave Johnson.
1 point for a funny and clever reference to Talps.
1 point for a funny and clever reference to jetio4.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 19:20:19 by jetio4 »
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 17, 2011, 19:39:35 »
If you're looking for a theme with which to name this competition, it has two.
Jetio's is 'Shift Use'.
Mine is 'Day and Night'.
My points...

15 points for how you use the 'Day and Night' theme.
10 points for how fun the level is.

To summarise...
15 for how you use the 'Day and Night' theme
10 for how you use the 'Clever and Obvious Shift Use' theme
10 for how pretty the level is
10 for how fun the level is
3 for referencing Portal
1 for referencing Jetio4
1 for referencing me

Giving each entry a total possible score of 50.
You have one month.

(Mwahahahaha)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 19:44:15 by Talps »

« Reply #576 on: May 23, 2011, 10:24:42 »
What does "Obvious Shift Use" look like? Any good examples?

Generally, the competition sounds interesting. I am definitely (thinking about maybe) entering.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 23, 2011, 18:06:33 »
Obvious shifts, as in you're in a screen when the whole screen changes because you get to a certain spot. I do not count the shift cloud as part of it. I'm talking about you reach a spot and I can tell that you put a shift there. In Coldmist Mountain, Talps put one on the eye which I could tell because when you went down from there you could go back into the door.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 05, 2011, 01:36:31 »
11 days left; dare I ask, is anyone working on a level for this?

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2011, 02:11:36 »
It has come to my attention that for some people school ends in 5 days. I doubt this affects many people on this forum, but I propose to extend the time limit to the end of June. After all, summer would have just started (about a week) for kids who this affects that may or may not be planning to be in this competition if we don't extend it. Those were slightly wordy sentences that could have probably been avoided.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2011, 05:23:05 »
Well, it's exam season for me, which ends in about two weeks. I might make something if the deadline is extended.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 07, 2011, 03:36:48 »
I could probably work up a small level for this in a jiffy, but I wouldn't mind the extra time.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 07, 2011, 11:25:48 »
I don't think Jetio will begrudge me decreeing that you 'til the end of June, then.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #583 on: June 29, 2011, 14:47:51 »
Thought I'd mention that I'm entering this. I've basically finished the level, but the 'final touches' involve creating 20 duplicates of the entire ~45 room map, each with individualised World.ini adjustments and cosmetic changes for every room. The end result will only barely justify the effort.

Pretty sure I couldn't bring myself to do that without a deadline. Hopefully I'll make it in time, and retain my sanity.

Healy, I hope you are entering this too! I would very much enjoy competing against you.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #584 on: June 30, 2011, 00:34:36 »
@ sergiocornaga: Xoft's Level Composer can automatically duplicate sections of your map including ini code.