KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #705 on: January 11, 2012, 09:49:36 »
Congrats, Marzog! My excuse for not completing a level is that I started and eventually lost interest in at least three different levels for this. Plus Skyrim took up nearly all my Knytting hours. I may complete some of them at a later date. Right now I'm in the planning stages for a level ironically based around the theme of procrastination.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 21, 2012, 18:40:13 »
Bump!

I have decided to start another contest, based around the theme Trapped! Again, it is up to you to choose how to interpret this theme. February 18th is the deadline. The community will vote on the best game. Sound okay?

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 21, 2012, 22:45:53 »
So your bringing back Communal Love, aren't you?

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 22, 2012, 03:01:29 »
Pretty much, yeah! I'm too bad a procrastinator to trust myself to judge this.

Also, if you're looking for some inspiration, here's the Super Metroid article that inspired the theme.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #709 on: January 22, 2012, 11:25:40 »
Pretty much, yeah! I'm too bad a procrastinator to trust myself to judge this.

As far as I'm aware, this forum doesn't allow regular users to create polls. Unless an admin's willing to enable them, you'd probably need to tally votes via PM, which is arguably less convenient (and more likely to trigger procrastination) than actually judging it.

P.S. I hope I can find time to participate.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 22, 2012, 22:22:41 »
Actually, I was thinking people would leave their votes in this thread. Then I'd tally them up and see which game got the most. Seems pretty simple to me, although I might have a problem with getting people to vote.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 07, 2012, 00:03:44 »
Hands up: How many people are working on a level for the contest?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #712 on: February 08, 2012, 12:58:46 »
I'm planning to use a small window of opportunity in my busy schedule to make something for this on the 14th.

So... technically not me.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 12, 2012, 12:48:42 »
Sorry to interrupt but I had an idea about a ks challenge thread. It would be like the challenge child boards for the other nifflas games but for ks and like a forum game. Anyone up for that?

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 18, 2012, 15:18:25 »
Well, it's the 18th, and nobody's submitted any levels yet. I'll extend the deadline until tomorrow night to give whoever might be working on a level for this a chance to finish up (or request another extended deadline). Hope we can get at least one level out of this.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #715 on: February 19, 2012, 14:09:25 »
Sorry! I tried making levels for this a couple of times, but neither of them panned out. I guess it wasn't meant to be...

Offline Al

• Video Games. Stronghold of our imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 19, 2012, 16:16:25 »
Maybe I would have participated I i'd come to this forum earlier.
Sorry for my lame English (French, Canada).

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2012, 03:46:46 »
Yeah, it's a shame these newer competitions never seem to get off the ground. Maybe what we should do is hold some kind of Knytt Stories award ceremony for levels released in the past year or so. Hey, it can't be any more indulgent than the Oscars, right?

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #718 on: March 31, 2012, 16:04:04 »
The competitions can be hard because of how long a level can take.  Perhaps if the rules made the levels inherently short it would be more likely to work out. 

And I like the idea of a yearly awards ceremony.  Very good idea.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:15 »
Bump! I have decided that I will give a star to anyone who releases a previously unreleased level within the next week. Deadline is May 1st, natch.

Some clarifications:
The level does not have to be done just for this event. It must, however, be previously unreleased.
For the purposes of this event, demos will not be counted as previously released (I flipped a coin for this).
If you are making a level just for this event, make sure it's a small one, or you'll probably not make the deadline.
I'm a little iffy on reskins of levels (like, say, Dukit's Dim Square), but if you make significant changes to the level itself (e.g., new puzzles/complications for a puzzle level, new and/or improved challenges for a challenge level, new areas for a playground, enviromental, and/or maze), I guess I'll count it.
Once your level is completed, you must make a thread for it on the forums in order for it to "count" for this event.

You don't have to conform to any sort of theme for this event, but if you want to, I have a couple themes to use:
Spring
Festival
The Village
You may use any, all, or none of these themes, as you see fit. Good luck!