[Challenge] [Hard] [KSLC Entry] The Fathers Son

• 17 Replies

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
[Challenge] [Hard] [KSLC Entry] The Fathers Son
« on: November 28, 2009, 21:20:58 »
I made this level as an entry for the KS Level Competition. I think I went on a little bit of an overkill, considering it only had to be 10 screens long, but whatever.
I also kind of broke the 2mb rule, but... um.. I...
It limits creativity! :nuts:

The story is pretty simple. Your brother goes missing and you have to find him.
I can haz bonus points for innovation?

Screens
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Download
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 22:24:10 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge] [Hard] [KSLC Entry] The Fathers Son
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 21:53:50 »
I am stuck on [1004;1003]. It's kinda impossible jump without climbing.

I don't like when someone overuse the ground tiles in decorational way (I hope that you get what I mean), especially when the outline of the ground tile is contrast to the color of ground tile (like in the underground).

Nothing special at the moment, sorry :(

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 22:08:52 »
There is nothing impossible about that jump. I have made it several times. You just need to jump as far out on the edge of that tile as possible.
I get what you mean with the ground tiles, but I kinda like the way it looks.
You are only 10 screens into the level yet. It will (most likely) get better. C)

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 22:10:26 »
There is nothing impossible about that jump. I have made it several times. You just need to jump as far out on the edge of that tile as possible.

I hit the celling all the time, but I will try my best now :)

edit:
I made it!

edit2:

OK, I've finished.

The difficulty of the level was as hard as I like - pretty easy, with some screen which made me to try them several times. I very liked the challenge with the turtle - tricky and well thought. It's nice too see, that there are still level makers who don't put monsters randomly. The music fits perfectly into the level atmosphere - adventurous and mysterious at the same time. I didn't like graphics very much, except of final screens with my favourite Nifflas' tileset. Unfortunately, when I really got into playing this level it's ended - but that's because of competition rules, right? I haven't seen other entries, but I think you have big chances.

6/10
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 22:26:02 by RunMan »

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 01:01:17 »
I made this level as an entry for the KS Level Competition.
Dagnabbit. I keep thinkin it's the 30th :( Oh well. Maybe next round I'll just forget the COs..

Very nice level.

6/10
Only a six?
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:17:56 »
Alright, I made it. Took me a long time to get through that challenge with the blue guy who falls on you and the green guy who runs around on the ground, but I made it. My ratings are as follows:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:21:23 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 01:58:34 »
I'm stuck at exactly the same place that Pick Yer Poison found difficult, too. I think this may be beyond my abilities... but just to make sure I'm at least theoretically on the right track, even if my reflexes are too slow, is this what I'm supposed to do:
? I'm failing somewhere between steps (4) and (5).

I really like the caves, btw. Aesthetically speaking.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 05:03:51 »
Wow... I actually really like this level, you use common tilesets very well and you picked nice music. My only problem was that it was short! I found it really irritating at first with all the pixel perfect jumps, but I kept from cheating and found myself enjoying challenges I'd normally find unbearable (of course the calmness of your level most likely had something to do with it). And while it's hard, I never really felt I was cheated because you normally had one challenge and save point a screen, which was nice.
Keep it up! I hope you win!  :^^:

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:22:55 »
@Hmph:

• Fall down into the tunnel.
  • Walk right up to the dropper. (Keeping the green thing on one side of the tunnel)
  • As the green thing runs away from you, run in, drop the dropper, run out (left), and face forwards again before he can charge.
  • Walk over the fallen dropper.
  • Face left, jump, let the green guy run under you, and dash out.
I got that part on my first try. Suckers. :^^:
Lurk more.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:18:56 »
Yeah, I had some problems with this challenge too. It's good to know a behavior of the green guy - when you are facing it, it will slowly run away. When you turn your back at it, it will rush at you

6/10
Only a six?
I'm a hard judge X)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 17:27:46 »
  • Fall down into the tunnel.
  • Walk right up to the dropper. (Keeping the green thing on one side of the tunnel)
  • As the green thing runs away from you, run in, drop the dropper, run out (left), and face forwards again before he can charge.
  • Walk over the fallen dropper.
  • Face left, jump, let the green guy run under you, and dash out.

Uhm, that's what I described, isn't it?

And yeah, that's what I'm trying to do, but I'm too slow to do the whole about-face thing at the speed which seems required.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 17:36:37 »
The green thing will only charge at you if it is standing still, so you need to run in under the dropper while the green thing is still moving.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 19:06:29 »
Only a bit off topic:
I got through the part with the green pig (I believe a level called it that once) and the falling blue without knowing there was a pattern in the green pigs behavior. It was extremely difficult.
There should be a post with the behavior of the monsters for people like me...  X)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 19:22:38 »
The green thing will only charge at you if it is standing still, so you need to run in under the dropper while the green thing is still moving.

That's what I'm doing, but I'm too slow for the quick changes of direction required. What can I say; I'm a 33-year-old who didn't grow up with video games, and played my first platformer at age 32. I'm afraid my reflexes just weren't honed as early in life as most everybody else's here... and I'm probably too old to learn *some* things, now. (I've already learned a lot of things, playing Knytt Stories, that I didn't think I'd ever be able to do, but there are some things - some jumps, and quick combinations of different actions, mostly - that I can try hundreds of times without seeing any improvement at all, so I think there's a limit to what I can learn.)

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 23:11:23 »
Spoiler: You want to do this. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Not this. (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.