The "war" against unreadable colors

• 22 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
The "war" against unreadable colors
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:58:48 »
I suggest that changes be made to the colors that are used in posts on the forum.

This forum has a rule against unnecessary use of color - a rule with which I wholeheartedly agree, since most colored text I come across is difficult to read.  And the reason for that is: I use the WaDF theme.  Some of the colors that are easily readable in the Knytt theme are tough to read in WaDF.  In particular: Purple, blue, green, maroon, and navy.  Likewise, some of the colors that I'd feel most comfortable using in my theme (yellow, pink, orange, and lime green) are tough on the eyes (however greatly or slightly) in the Knytt theme.

The current rule in place seems to be that colors are allowed, as long as there's a reason (otherwise, a mod will remove it).  But that still makes things difficult for me to read when they have a valid reason for color.  On some occasions I see color used for emphasis (such as accompanying boldface on a section title), and often my eyes pass right over something important in a large post because it was blue and on its own separate line.
If you are using the WaDF theme and don't already know this sentence is here, you might not notice until after a few reads.
I'm just going to throw these two suggestions out there.  Maybe they're not possible.  Maybe they're no good.  I'm just throwing them out there.  These suggestions are mutually exclusive, by the way; I'm suggesting that one of them be used, not both of them.  :huh:

1. The first suggestion is to define the colors on a per-theme basis.  This means, for instance, making the purple in the WaDF theme a bit lighter than the purple in the Knytt theme.
2. My second suggestion is to change the color drop-down list.  We have a plethora of colors beyond what is listed.  We should find theme-neutral colors, colors like magenta and forest green that are equally visible in each theme.  Then the color dropdown list in the post editor can be changed so that "Pink" creates a [color=magenta] tag, "Green" creates a [color=forestgreen] tag, and so on.

For reference, here's a bunch of colors, including some unlisted ones I've found.  See how they look in your theme:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:34:23 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
Re: The "war" against unreadable colors
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:23:55 »
I can see the blue sentence just fine with the WaDF theme...

However, I suggest lime green, as forest green is hard to read for me since it's so dark.

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:59:29 »
I can see the blue sentence just fine with the WaDF theme...
(moves head down at to face laptop screen perpendicularly)
:O
(looks at forum on desktop computer with CRT monitor to confirm)
:whoa:

You're right, the blue is clearly visible (whether or not it's legible is another story). 

From the angle at which I most comfortably operate this laptop, the blue text blends right in with the background, making it easy to miss the first time I read a post using it. Gah.  I hate flat screen color distortion.

So, now that I can see the real colors, blue's a bit better, as is green.  But purple and especially navy are even worse.
On the Knytt side, pink and lime green have become a bit better.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:06:35 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03:07 »
Navy will not cut it. I find any dark color other than black hard to read, even with Knytt Edition.

The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16:44 »
Interesting, but I suggest that people just stop using colors instead.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:45 »
The current rule in place seems to be that colors are allowed, as long as there's a reason (otherwise, a mod will remove it).  But that still makes things difficult for me to read when they have a valid reason for color.  On some occasions I see color used for emphasis (such as accompanying boldface on a section title), and often my eyes pass right over something important in a large post because it was blue and on its own separate line.

I don't want to sound mean or anything but this sounds like a personal problem.

1. The first suggestion is to define the colors on a per-theme basis.  This means, for instance, making the purple in the WaDF theme a bit lighter than the purple in the Knytt theme.
2. My second suggestion is to change the color drop-down list.  We have a plethora of colors beyond what is listed.  We should find theme-neutral colors, colors like magenta and forest green that are equally visible in each theme.  Then the color dropdown list in the post editor can be changed so that "Pink" creates a [color=magenta] tag, "Green" creates a [color=forestgreen] tag, and so on.

I'm pretty sure that all of the color stuff is just SMF default, and I don't know if it's even possible to change it.

Anyway, this seems to me like kind of an overreaction. I don't think the forum should be changed because a few people have occasional problems with readability- if you see a post with pointless, hard-to-read colors, just report it, and a mod will get to it. If you have trouble reading a post with legitimately-used colors in it, well, then, highlight the hard-to-read text.
good bye

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:47:07 »
I do not have control over the [color] tag. I can however create new tags and make them theme dependable.

That would be like [c1]text[/c1], [c2]text[/c2], etc... These colours would then use CSS that is located inside the theme and thus always give a readable colour.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:52:24 »
Problem solved. LPChip saves the day again!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 17:14:58 by LPChip »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 17:14:44 »
I've fixed the issue now.

Colour test:

red
orange
yellow
green
blue
purple

usage: use [c + first letter of colour + ]. Example: [co]text[/co].

This will keep the current theme in mind and ensures that the colour is visible.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 17:34:12 »
YAAYYA!!!! :D

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 18:31:53 »
lol at purple tag fail

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 19:22:00 »
lol at purple tag fail

I don't know what you're referring to, but it shouldn't fail. Can you explain this?

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 21:27:33 »
No, not like that... ah forget it you people don't get anything. X)

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 21:53:17 »
I get it! You know, CP? X)

I LOL'd hard.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 22:52:37 »
Anyone who feels like telling me the punchline, please do. I still don't get it...

MODPlug Central Forum