Just a note on "Non Serviam", my extremely large KS level

• 47 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Just a note on "Non Serviam", my extremely large KS level
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 16:44:59 »
So what is it about me that you doubt? That my level would be good enough for permission, or that I'm lacking the moral fibre to ask for it in the first place?
He missed a sentence, and if that sentence hadn't been there his response would have been perfectly valid. There's no reason to take offense at it. :huh:

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 17:57:03 »
Also it's very rare that Nifflas would give permission to use those restricted tilesets, so it's natural to be doubtful.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 18:30:54 »
So what is it about me that you doubt? That my level would be good enough for permission, or that I'm lacking the moral fibre to ask for it in the first place?
He missed a sentence, and if that sentence hadn't been there his response would have been perfectly valid. There's no reason to take offense at it. :huh:

Sendy has every reason to take offense at it.  I didn't read carefully, which I really should have done given the circumstances.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 20:07:03 »
Well, there is a lot of text in my posts, so I suppose it's easy to miss... I wasn't offended, I just wondered what I'd done to cause the aforementioned doubt. I suppose I was also slightly annoyed, as it took me a while to get these onto this computer, into the right format, and uploaded. I probably overreacted a bit.

Anyway, here's the rest of the screenies. I really have a hard time picking which screens to show.

Also, hopefully the screen montage will upload as well! The red hatched area is basically a bunch of screens I've since deleted, they were 'anti void' sky screens which I realized were superfluous. I'm pleased to say that work on the level is going very well - much better than when I tried to get into it last time. A lot of the old areas have been given an extra layer of gloss, some small areas have been added, and most of the areas have SFX now :)

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 22:50:53 »
at 4th screenshot  :whoa:

my levels are never more then 50 screens!
good work!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 19:00:34 »
oh my, I got quite strongly reminded of the feeling I got when I played Knytt when looking at those screens. Yay!
also I as well remember you/your preview thread. Just didn't feel like posting just that. :P
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 01:03:20 »
oh my, I got quite strongly reminded of the feeling I got when I played Knytt when looking at those screens. Yay!
also I as well remember you/your preview thread. Just didn't feel like posting just that. :P

Thanks! That made me smile. Currently adding new areas at the moment, and debating whether to use a few CO's in this level, or wait until the next one. I suppose a few won't hurt. I need a bit more foliage in a couple of places.

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 13:21:15 »
Are you sure this isn't Knytt? The graphics are making my head spin! :nuts:
Seriously, finish this! I had lost my interest in Knytt Stories lately, but this brought it back.

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 16:54:49 »
What the pfargtl! That last screenshot...
I never realised how much 500 screens really was. And I can't believe you made all those screens, probably as high quality as those screenshots!
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 17:34:06 »
I was thinking of not playing any knytt stories level anymore after releasing KSDS (too tired of beta testing...), but your level is making me change my opinion... so, I jump the "I want you to finish this level!!!!!" wagon  X-P

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 18:06:23 »
Oh wow. That map makes me itch to start exploring right away! It's so huge... it must be larger than 500 screens by quite a bit, I think. Mine's currently around 255 screens, and definitely looks less than half as big as yours.

Love the screenshots, especially the third.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 18:44:54 »
<3 the third screenshot. There's just something about it that I really like.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 11:54:16 »
I did have a long reply here about the evolution of this level and the comparisons to Knytt, but I pressed a key that my browser decided to interpret as a desire to go back a page and forget everything I typed, which is splendid!

Anyway, I had no idea I'd get this level of acclaim for my work thus far, so I'm really happy about that! I do want to say, some of the qualities of this level stem from the fact that I often get more time to work on it than most do. Also, this level is actually called 'mess around' in my file system, and evolved from what was almost the first rooms I ever created when trying out the editor and learning about it. Those rooms have been touched up a bit presentation-wise since then, and have had half of the spikes removed from them, but even so, it's kinda weird to think about it. Nothing in this game was planned out beforehand, the entire thing evolved stream-of-consciousness-ly.

EDIT: I have a couple of screenshots left over from the last batch, may as well upload them, although one of them is already out of date.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:32:09 by Sendy »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:07 »
Nurykabe tileset win. Hard to do. Kudos.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 09:08:02 »
Well, I appear to have hit some kind of a snag... As previously stated, I have made minor edits to several of the preset tilesets, adding extra detail and creating objects I needed that weren't included. I didn't think twice about this, because I didn't see any difference between layering a preset tileset with one you made yourself, and I couldn't imagine a reason why people would object provided they were credited.

I've also started making CO's out of, for example, the trees, so that I can have them move in the breeze, and I mixed a few tilesets together, to make ample use of the tileset space available for certain rooms. On a couple of tilesets I replaced tiles I didn't need with spikes, so I didn't have to use the pop-out spike objects.

So anyway, I've just read on this forum that you aren't allowed to modify tilesets at all, unless you made them yourself, which has genuinely shocked me, so I suppose it's a case of trying to track down loads of people before I continue with this :/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:10:16 by Sendy »