The Object Compendium

• 34 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
The Object Compendium
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:27:35 »
For most of us, there are quite a few objects that we see in the editor and yet never use since we haven't the slightest idea what they do.
It's also sometimes difficult to tell apart the enemies; some of them can look quite similar at times even though they do completely different things.
Frankly, sometimes, it's hard to even tell who is an enemy and who is an NPC.  As it stands, the only way to find out is to try putting one in a level and giving yourself the Detector when you test it, because unless somebody is crazy enough to compile a full listing of all objects and what they do, you'll have to figure it all out yourself.

Well, you'll all probably be pleased to know that I am, as it stands, quite crazy.

Here's a guide with brief descriptions and pictures of each object.  It's not complete yet.

Color Key:
Friendly: This is a non-aggressive animal or NPC.
Hostile: This is an enemy or other deadly tile.
Special: This invisible object does something special.
Interactive: This visible object is tangible or affects the player in some other way.
Decorative: This object is purely visual.

These are To Do notes. Some are just notes to myself, but some may invite you to contribute!

✔ Thanks to Purple Pineapple for the images.
Progress:
(Finished: Banks 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16)
(Next up: Bank 7 - Nature FX)

Spoiler: Bank 0: System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 1: Liquids (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 5: Shadow People (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 6: Traps (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 9: Flowers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 10: Bouncers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 11: Disks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 12: Ghosts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bank 16: Invisible (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:36:17 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Re: The Object Compendium
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:43:43 »
For most of us, there are quite a few objects that we see in the editor and yet never use since we haven't the slightest idea what they do.
Then you just put them in a screen and find out. Like that white square that changes transparency. (15-25) :P

Anyway, this looks like it would be very helpful to people who are just finding out about KS. Or maybe even those who aren't. Regardless, it's a big project.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 17:35:35 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:07:10 »
No way! I was going to do that T_T!. Yours its better through
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:14:14 »
Must...Resist...Giving...Out... :hiddenstar:!

Ah, well, at least you deserve it. *tosses EHP a :hiddenstar:*
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:30:02 »
:hiddenstar:
Must... resist... placing star... in mouth...

(glomp)

Ow, it burns...
It buuuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnsssss...
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:19 »
:hiddenstar:
Must... resist... placing star... in mouth...

(glomp)

Ow, it burns...
It buuuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnsssss...
"Glomp" does not mean "eat". "Glomp" means "OMG I LOVE [object]! *tackle*"
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 16:45:33 »
If used as onomatopoeia, it can mean anything.  It only specifically refers to affectionately jumping on something if used as a verb.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 17:31:56 »
You can use the "I need help to make KSDS" Thread to know how some critters behave  :)

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 17:46:48 »
I should think most veteran editors come to know what every object does, but this is a great idea... A couple of days ago, I made a list of all of the knytt/people in the 'Knytt/Fluff' bank, with details on their movement behaviour, because I got sick of having to place someone, and then test to see if they'd walk off a ledge or away from their dialogue.

So not only willl this help newbies a lot, it will also be useful for knowing the fine details of some of the objects. I could post my list, if it helps, but it only covers the people and a couple of the more confusing animals (such as those little walking balls, which have three kinds, and one of them grows spikes in your face when you get close), and how they face/move, and any other behaviour such as flying.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 17:53:48 »
(such as those little walking balls, which have three kinds, and one of them grows spikes in your face when you get close)
The purple one, right?
Lurk more.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 19:09:32 »
(such as those little walking balls, which have three kinds, and one of them grows spikes in your face when you get close)
The purple one, right?

One has neon red legs, one has orange legs, and one has purplish legs, the one with orange legs will kill you with it's spikes. That's caught me out numerous times.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 20:15:37 »
Well, I knew it was the darker colour. :P
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 02:17:54 »
I should think most veteran editors come to know what every object does, but this is a great idea... A couple of days ago, I made a list of all of the knytt/people in the 'Knytt/Fluff' bank, with details on their movement behaviour, because I got sick of having to place someone, and then test to see if they'd walk off a ledge or away from their dialogue.

So not only willl this help newbies a lot, it will also be useful for knowing the fine details of some of the objects. I could post my list, if it helps, but it only covers the people and a couple of the more confusing animals (such as those little walking balls, which have three kinds, and one of them grows spikes in your face when you get close), and how they face/move, and any other behaviour such as flying.
Thanks, but I would be checking them all in the editor anyways... partly because you might have different criteria for classifying them, but mostly because I have OCD. XD

My guide was planned to have most of that information.  In each bank, stationary NPCs that face the player will be kept together as a group.  Moving ones will also be altogether in a group, and in the description under the group I will, in a paragraph, identify which ones: Fly, walk, or run, and whether they do so aimlessly, between fixed points, between walls, or following the player.

Then there's the stationary ones that don't face the player, as well as the moving ones that do something really special. I'll sort these out into groups on a case-by-case basis.  I'm trying to group ones that act similarly.  For instance, in bank 3, objects 12, 13, and 27, and any other people who stand there and wobble will be a group.  Lord knows what I'll call that group. X-P

I did something like this in the Ghost bank if you want to see it, but the number of NPCs in that bank is significantly less than this one.

This is not final, though.  It's what I'm going to use when I compile the draft of Bank 3, which is pretty much a project in and of itself.  I'll see what works and what doesn't work when I try it.

But to be clear, the two issues I'm focusing on addressing with my organization of NPCs is:
-How suitable they are as signs
-Who is friendly and who is hostile when NPCs and enemies look too similar
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:33:48 by Exp HP »

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 19:18:56 »
TABLES ARGHHHH

gfhjhggfklKLJRDVBRUKEGSREtiltrgiuotriou65
bppegespgoesjpbbbt !!!!! GAAAAAHHH!!!!!!
 >( >( >( >(

Unfortunately for me, the tables do make it look a lot more organized despite the fact they want to make me bang on the keyboard and spam angry smilies. So I guess they're a keeper. (Nooooooooooo....)

Bank 3 is done.

EDIT: And I just thought of a way to make the tables a lot easier to manage: I don't need separate rows for the images and the numbers if I just use line breaks.
Yay for keeping my sanity!

I'll stop posting status updates for now until it's complete.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 20:00:46 by Exp HP »

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 01:44:06 »
Unfortunately for me, the tables do make it look a lot more organized despite the fact they want to make me bang on the keyboard and spam angry smilies. So I guess they're a keeper. (Nooooooooooo....)
Yay tables!
Lurk more.