The new game needs a level archive

• 22 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
The new game needs a level archive
« on: February 15, 2010, 00:07:41 »
The big thing is that I need some kind of level archive up when the game gets out, it's very important since there's a chance the full version will only unlock third party level access and that the built in episode will be free. Either the knytt stories levels archive must be finished by the admins who's working with that, or I must locate an existing php script designed for file sharing communities. There are plenty of pre-made scripts for forums so there have to be one for sharing and commenting files too.

Does anyone know of a good such script? This is what I need:

* The admins can add games and allowed file extensions, and add moderators to the list
* Guests can select a game and view uploaded levels for it (sorted by name, upload date, rating, and more), and download them
* Guests can register
* Registered users can upload levels and vote as well as comment other levels
* Levels can be reported
* Moderators can remove levels and users.
* Levels can be updated
* Extremely clean look to match ni2.se
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 00:12:53 by Nifflas »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: The new game needs a level archive
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:49:07 »
My goal here is not to be annoying to anyone who's doing the level archive. I'm extremely thankful for all help I've got running the forums and for the work spent to do this kind of stuff. Right now though, I'm kind of dependent on knowing when a specific system can work since I need it before I can release a new game, which is why I have to go for this approach right now.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 21:48:40 »
Maybe, instead of making a whole new level archive, we could add a part to the KS Archive when it's done so we could upload both KS levels and this game's levels so we could keep them in one place. ;)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 23:10:59 »
The point of this archive is that, unlike the Knytt archive, access to various functions are limited based on whether the game has been bought or not.  You can't really combine the two together, since the Knytt Level Archive is wide-open to anyone that wants to upload.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 23:37:36 »
Maybe, instead of making a whole new level archive, we could add a part to the KS Archive when it's done so we could upload both KS levels and this game's levels so we could keep them in one place. ;)
* Guests can select a game and view uploaded levels for it (sorted by name, upload date, rating, and more), and download them
Lurk more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 00:01:46 »
The point of this archive is that, unlike the Knytt archive, access to various functions are limited based on whether the game has been bought or not.  You can't really combine the two together, since the Knytt Level Archive is wide-open to anyone that wants to upload.
Err, no :) The restriction will be in the game.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:00:01 »
Whoooops, true, that.  I guess what's odd is the whole registering system, then.  Would you have to buy the ability to play user-made levels, and simultaneously make an account to upload levels on the archive, then?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 13:28:37 »
I've had a little chat with Nifflas, and seeing what he needs, I'm not sure I can incorporate that in what I currently have. Maybe at a later stage, but if a good system pops up, I don't have to at all. Anyone that can/wants to try this, go ahead. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 23:02:16 »
Jim has foundeded something:
http://gscripts.net/free-php-scripts/Directory_Scripts/SkaLinks/details.html

the website says: (amongst other things)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
it's free, and claims to be easily customisable by anyone with a knowlege of PHP (which isn't me)
however, if you use this, you apparently need to fully understand the following:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

EDIT:the website it's on has lots of other PHP's too btw.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 23:05:39 by jimj316 »

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 15:10:04 »
Jimj316,

Thanks for posting this. I am having doubts though that this is what Nifflas is after. It seems focussed on links exchange instead of actually file downloads.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 13:34:21 »
How much time is there before release (even just approximately, I need to know how much time there is to do this)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 21:27:45 »
How much time do you need? I think it will be up to Nifflas to decide if that's enough time and that he can wait if he's done sooner, or that he rather have something earlier.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 23:29:33 »
I'd say the last of April, but this is by no means a public or final release date.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 00:45:58 »
I think I have a solution. It will take a day or two to get it viewable and will likely need some tweaking.

Edit: Okay, so it was a bit quicker than I thought. I have posted the testing version on my server at http://levels.je100.com. A couple of obvious things I/we need to fix:
  • We need a header for the top. The dimensions are 930x236px as far as I can tell.
  • Content (descriptions, a front page article, etc) is needed
  • Registered users are able to upload files, but I think that a deeper directory tree would help lay it out better.
  • I was thinking about adding in more sections for people to upload tilesets, ambiance/songs, and other level development stuff.
  • I am not sure how to allow Remository (the file management component) to accept uploaded icons for the files. However, thumbnails are supported.

And now for a what-is-working--feature-list:
  • Users can manage (though, not delete) their own submitted levels. User that first register must have uploads and changes approve by an admin, but an admin can give them "Trusted Uploader" status that would allow them to avoid that.
  • Comments and voting are enabled on every level. The manager will let you sort by rating, age, etc.
  • Subdirectories: As soon as I get these set up (in a few minutes I hope), things will be much more organized
  • Search: No more loading a giant page (no offense lpchip) and ctrl-f to find a level. The search link at the bottom seems to work rather well.
Edit by LPChip: None taken. J might be offended though, he made the original knytt levels.com site X)

And finally, some warnings and other notes.
  • My host (maiahost.com) says I have "unlimited space and bandwidth", but it was 50$ for a year, so I am betting we might be pushing those limits. If the site goes down temporarily, don't be surprised.
  • I will remove any copyrighted material *only* if I am asked to. If this happens to you, upload the file to megaupload or mediafire, etc and link to it in the description and I will accept it, but *only* if there is a problem.
  • Please, no hotlinking. Bandwidth is going to be tight as it is.
  • No offensive content. Profanity will be tolerated at a reasonable level *in-game* and will be tagged as such in the description. Nudity, or anything else that could be considered offensive on the same level will be removed and your account and IP will likely be banned (we don't want a repeat of what happened on the forums a while ago).

I am sure there is a bunch of stuff I forgot to mention. The site will be under heavy development over the next few days, so if it gets buggy, you should understand.

I can be contacted via my email (quickest) if there is anything urgent. Otherwise I will be awaiting your response  :D

Edit 2: Also, if you have any suggestions on the site theme, let me know. I only picked a decent looking one and I am no aesthetic designer (by any stretch of the imagination). The whole thing is based on Joomla; The only thing I would like to make sure stays around is the top menu (some templates don't have them)

And I wasn't sure what to call this game. So I just called it Mystery Game.

Supported uploaded file extensions are: tar,gz,bz2,rar,zip,png,gif,jpg,pdf,bin,wav,ogg,mp3
Compressing your uploads is greatly smiled upon (but not required)  C)p
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 17:42:00 by LPChip »