[Enviromental][Normal]-Underground

• 29 Replies

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
[Enviromental][Normal]-Underground
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:49 »
Right-o, folks.  I still can' stop making these things, but really I'm only posting the one's that are interesting.

Here's an experiment in level making simply called:

Underground.

The theory was that I make a simple and somewhat small level, then draw the graphics over it, instead of using a tile-set.  Um...it's...It turned out interesting.

Story is nothing to chew on.  Juni goes down a hole. Spoiler, she comes back up.  But how?

Anyway, enjoy it.  I'm not going to fix the graphics, and I'm really not going to do this again.  This tiny level took my 3 straight days of drawing and my wife misses me.

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Grimwit%20-%20Undergroundv12.knytt.bin

Ver 1.2 is up.  This time with fewer punctuations in the title.

Changes:  Not much.  Took out the copyright music so no one would get in trouble.  Put in some non-climbables to you can't get out the way you came in.  Added stock music.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 17:05:59 by grimwit »
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

Offline Artix

• View Profile
Re: [Enviromental][Normal]-Underground
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:07 »
I do not that that tag means what you think it means

Either than that, this level is awesome. A bit challenging at times, I thought it could use a few more save points, but it's still really good.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:32:28 »
Please don't stop making these things. Really, sweet work. You're quite the artist. Nothing about what you did seems in any way wrong to me technically but then as I've said countless times I don't make levels, I play them. This played very nicely. Not at all hard. I'd give it a normal to hard grade but then you know for me, playing these levels is not about the difficulty (unless it's insane) but more about degree of cleverness and fun. I thought the mix of artwork with the tad bid of challenge was indeed a clever combo. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Addendum: How do you know the ones you think are not interesting wouldn't be so to the rest of us? :)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 16:25:17 »
Beatufiul, terrific, etc.; wonderful job. Fantastic tilesets, design... Definitely keep them coming!

Two problems: I kind of thought the music was a tad bit too intrusive, but more importantly, if the game you borrowed it from is not free, I think you can't use the music in KS levels due to possible copyright problems.

And also, there's a game-breaking problem:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 17:55:34 »
Absolutely beautiful! I loved every moment! C)
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 19:43:35 »
Awesomeness!!! I've only started playing this, but, wow! The style is just wonderful.

I think that between this and A Knytt in Time, we can consider it thoroughly demonstrated now that the KS community is far from dead... :-)

ETA: I also totally loved the wordless intro sequence.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 19:48:33 »
Two problems: I kind of thought the music was a tad bit too intrusive, but more importantly, if the game you borrowed it from is not free, I think you can't use the music in KS levels due to possible copyright problems.

It's copyright violation regardless of whether the game is free or not.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 20:21:32 »

It's copyright violation regardless of whether the game is free or not.

My point was simply that if the original game was not free, then the music is most certainly copyrighted. With free games, it depends on the license; many are released into PD or use a license that allows non-commercial usage of stuff, provided the original product/creator is mentioned.

Offline LB

• I failed the Turing test.
    • View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 21:11:06 »
I enjoyed this level very much. :) It was definantly a fun little puzzle that had you thinking 'um... oh yeah! I know what to do now!' the whole time. Nice work on all of it!

I like to use music that is royalty free, like Kevin MacLeod's music from incompetech.com, or I make my own music (whic I am absolutely not good at right now).

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 00:42:12 »
Wonderful little level!

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 17:35:45 »
This is fantastic. I love the artwork. Please make more... :)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:14 »
An Untitled Adventure, anyone? ;)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 15:27:13 »
An Untitled Adventure is crap.

An Untitled Story, however, is great.

wait is there a ks level called an untitled adventure
because if there is i think i just made a fool of myself

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 18:36:30 »
thanks, everyone.  Next time, I'm not sure how I'll do the level, but no more of the painstaking drawing every little tile.  Hurt my hand doing it.  <_<  And my wife disproves of the time it takes.

<_<  Um...I have no knowledge about copy write songs, or such.  I'll just use the music that comes with the game from here on out.  ...Except for the game i just finished called Timo Maas that uses the song of the same name from Sims 2.  That I'll just release separately from this site so no one gets hurt or anything.

:(Say...I had a problem last time I tried to re-upload the fixed version of my first released level ("Cliffhanger")  So if I re-upload 'Underground' to the archive, how do I go about it?

Edit:  Okay, the new level is up.  No real changes, but I fixed the problems pointed out by Yohji
->Stock Music used instead of Secret of Evermore Music.
->  You can no longer leave the way you came in.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 22:27:29 by grimwit »
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 16:48:57 »
Thankfully I managed to get the old version from Knyttlevels.com, the custom music just isnt enough for KS levels and I think that this copyright business even though people always credit the author is the worst thing that ever happened to KS, with these rules the epic levels like Don't eat the Mushroom, Frozen Mountain and Too much Soda could not have existed! >( >( >( >( >(

PS Nice level and atmosphere although of course its not enviromental since there are many challenges and a lack of savepoints so I might have named it challenge/enviromental or just challenge. Love especially the intro and ending cutscene. A secret would have been neat in a level like this...