[Environmental] Midnight Rainstorm

• 4 Replies
[Environmental] Midnight Rainstorm
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:29:05 »
This is my first level, a short environmental level unimaginatively named "Midnight Rainstorm". I think my choice of tileset combined with rain was unconsciously influenced by one area from Gaia, something I didn't realise until I'd finished making it XD

There are probably too many waterfalls, but eh. This started out as just me messing about with the level editor, and finished with what seemed like a level, so I figured I may as well give it a touch of vague story and release it to see what people think.

Anyway, link:
http://thesolarsanctuary.co.uk/knytt/beezeroone-midnightrainstorm.knytt.bin

Screenshot attached.

Hope you enjoy it!

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
Re: [Environmental] Midnight Rainstorm
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 13:47:32 »
Haha, I know which area from Gaia are you talking about. I'll check this one out.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 20:41:42 »
First off, congratulations on releasing your first level :) And it looks pretty nice for a first, especially those underground waterfalls, very mysterious. The biggest problem I had with the level is that it was impossible to distinguish solid ground tiles from background ground tiles. You can easily die already on the fourth screen, because those things in the waterfall look pretty solid. Same goes for all those platforms you're supposed to pass by
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Other than that, well, a savepoint wouldn't hurt on that fourth screen, and also, the no climb wall isn't a good way to keep the player away from an area. Especially when it's completely indistinguishable from normal tiles, and is the only no climb wall in the entire level. Better construct an overhanging something there, or just let the player

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 13:49:34 »
The biggest problem I had with the level is that it was impossible to distinguish solid ground tiles from background ground tiles. You can easily die already on the fourth screen, because those things in the waterfall look pretty solid.

I did use the tiles without any outline for the background tiles, but fair point. I'll probably change them to the other colour scheme in the tileset.

I'll take out the no-climb wall, but I think I'll probably make another area to the level that
, and I have an idea for an alternative ending that will expand the level quite a lot.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 15:21:43 »
I took some time out from work yesterday and felt in the mood for an environmental. I'd had this one installed for quite a while, but hadn't played it yet. Well, I like KS rain, so I decided to try this level, based purely on the promise of the name.

I really liked it. It's nicely rainy ;-) and manages to feel both natural and surreal at the same time, which is a nice mixture if you can pull it off. For some reason I really liked the mystery of Juni's motivations here. "The rain's here. Maybe tonight I'll go home," she says at the beginning, so apparently the house at the beginning of the level isn't her home - and she does go... somewhere, at the end. And that's kind of surreal, too. How does the rain figure in all this? Who knows. I don't need to know, but I like knowing that apparently it somehow does.

Also, there is no such thing as 'too many waterfalls'. *g*