• 9 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Platformer] Akuji the Demon
« on: April 25, 2010, 15:14:02 »
Akuji the Demon

I'm sure most of you already know this game and have played it, but I searched the forum and couldn't find a post about it... so here it is, just in case somebody didn't know of this neat game :P

Description:

This is a short, cute platforming game similar to Knytt Stories. You start without abilities and you have to collect new powers to be able to solve basic puzzles and defeat bosses. Controls are customizable and supports joysticks/gamepads.

Story:

Long ago, there was a demon named Akuji who terrorized the country. Then, a brave hero appeared and battled him. The hero defeated Akuji and sealed him within a dark cave. He married the princess and everyone was happy again... right?

Well, not everyone. One day, Akuji awakens from his sleep completely pissed off. He wants revenge... and only you can help him :D  Your mission will be to escape the cave, recover your lost powers and kick the hero's sorry ass. It's payback time!

Screenshots:

Many more screenshots here

Notes:

This free game was originally in japanese, but was translated to english by two romhackers. Therefore, there are two different english versions, but only one of them was officially recognized by the original creator (Buster) and that's the one I linked.

Download link:
http://www.freehare.com/download.php?id=3

If that doesn't work, try clicking Download! on this page.

(I couldn't find Buster's web page, so I had to resort to this. Fortunately, there are plenty of other mirrors for the english version of the game. If you have trouble downloading the game, I'll put a few mirror links.)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: [Platformer] Akuji the Demon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 15:28:27 »
ohh yeah, I played that one quite a while ago. I think I liked it, although I don't think I played the translated version back then. who cares about the story anyways. X)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 17:53:40 »
I did not like this game.  Sure, the graphics are nice, but there's no exploration element and the gameplay is really monotonous and boring - even the bosses.  Also, the way the character controls is horribly sticky.

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 21:33:22 »
The graphics remind me a lot of Cave Story...
:hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 23:02:15 »
I share minmay's opinion of this game for the same reasons.
o__  o

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 19:29:27 »
Nice little platformer. The controls were a bit awkward (mainly the jumps in normal mode and
), but eh. For some reason it reminded me of some games I used to play when I was a kid - bad controls, but the game is interesting enough for you to try to get used to them.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 23:58:47 »
Yeah, the controls are kind of wonky. It's as minmay said, moving the character feels "sticky". Despite that, I thought it was a fun game. The pace of the game is somewhat slow and it doesn't get too frustrating, so the controls work okay. But if it were a longer, faster paced game, then the controls would probably be a major issue.

Spoiler: (Ending) (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:40 »
who cares about the story anyways. X)
I heard that!

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:33:01 »
Well I was going to try this, but based on what minmay said I don't think it's worth the time.  I'm sure it's alright, but there's nothing more annoying (in a platformer) than sticky character controls!

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:15:34 »
Loved the game. Didn't find the controls particularly sticky or annoying.
Definitely play the translated version.
Way fucken funny.