[hard][puzzle/maze]The Explore Challenge

• 30 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
[hard][puzzle/maze]The Explore Challenge
« on: March 22, 2009, 21:19:17 »
I've decided to make the first post in this forum. Its a repost from the old forum with my most popular level. I didn't posted it because I want feedback or anything... Just so this forum isn't empty anymore.

Story:
Juni goes visiting her uncle. Her uncle just finished creating his latest invention. While this invention hasn't been tested, Juni accidentally uses the machine, and gets trapped in a strange world. By means of exploring, its her job to get back.

Gameplay information:
When we played Knytt, it were the secrets that made the game interesting.

So I was thinking... What would happen if you have a level full of secrets... No... What would happen if you have a level where you must find secret, after secret, after secret... :)

With this idea, The Explore Challenge was born.

The main question is: How well can you find the secret walls? Some will be in very obvious places, and some will be in the most unexpected places.

You're warned though, I did a small puzzle/challenge from time to time to make it more fun to play the level. You won't find enemies in this level, which means that you can play it at any speed.

Can you spot the hidden place just by looking where it could be? Can you think outside the box? If those are a yes, this level certainly will entertain you!

What this story features:
Own music, Own story and a big secret! (make sure you find it)

Download:
Grab it here: http://files.lpchip.com/temp/LPChip%20-%20The%20Explore%20Challenge.knytt.bin.zip
Note, that this story also is included in the official expansion pack.

on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: [hard][puzzle/maze]The Explore Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 21:30:10 »
Glad you decided to do this. :)

Anyway, I've played this, and it's confusing, but good. :P
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 21:38:45 »
This is one of my favorite expansion pack levels. Besides the music, this is an excellent example of making a level look good without having all the beauty of an environmental level. :)
Lurk more.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 22:16:32 »
I played this almost two years ago... =)

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:33:20 »
Awesome level, i havent finished it yet, but it really gives your brain a workout!
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 17:07:14 »
Whoo, I finally beat the level without constantly cheating!
(I cheated most of the time, but not all. :P)

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
grao!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 18:42:45 »
Whoo, I finally beat the level without constantly cheating!
(I cheated most of the time, but not all. :P)

Well done. :) It feels much more rewarding if you can beat it without cheating, doesn't it? :)

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 19:29:47 »
Well done. :) It feels much more rewarding if you can beat it without cheating, doesn't it? :)
When I first played this game, I got stuck in the room with the secret passage. (I thought that it was an impossible jump.) So, I checked the editor and found the other way out. I went back in the game, thinking that it was the right way to go, not a secret.
Lurk more.

Offline Nohajc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 20:36:09 »
Excellent level, if not the best ever! I love brain teasers of any kind, so i couldn't have missed this one. :)
I must say it's very smartly done. Also original. And the music? I enjoyed it as well.

Finding secrets itself didn't seemed so hard to me. I have quite simple system: To crawl through all over the place, anywhere I can possibly get with climbing. Only those parts which you must try several times in order to find the right way took me a while to figure out.
And the second part of level when you have to go back to the startpoint to discover the whole new half of the world... just great.

All I can say: Splendid work. :D

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 21:33:25 »
Excellent level, if not the best ever! I love brain teasers of any kind, so i couldn't have missed this one. :)
I must say it's very smartly done. Also original. And the music? I enjoyed it as well.

Finding secrets itself didn't seemed so hard to me. I have quite simple system: To crawl through all over the place, anywhere I can possibly get with climbing. Only those parts which you must try several times in order to find the right way took me a while to figure out.
And the second part of level when you have to go back to the startpoint to discover the whole new half of the world... just great.

All I can say: Splendid work. :D

Thanks. :) This does make me wonder how you found the challenge in the 4th screen or so. Its the one where you enter the screen on the right side, to find blocks with lasers on them and alot of possibilities, with the exit on the least to be expected location. :D

Once you get the first cutscene, the screen that comes next.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 01:20:24 »
This topic hasn't been posted in for a long time, and I hope no one minds me reviving it. Anyway, the level was... boring. I didn't get very far, but when I reached the point where you go down holes and only one of them doesn't kill you, I got too frustrated to continue, especially when I checked the editor and it seemed to be a dead end. The level did look nice though. Secrets are fun when you find one, but the actual process of finding a secret (checking every tile) isn't fun, and when theres no secret room it isn't rewarding.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 01:42:21 »
But there is a secret room.
good bye

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 01:57:53 »
But there is a secret room.
Do you mean the one with
I meant that after you find a secret, you just have to go through the tedious task of finding another one with no reward.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 14:39:37 »
Not everyone finds it rewarding to look for secrets, but some of us do. I noticed that it was this that kept Knytt interesting to most of us. Its also that reason why I made this level in the first place.

I personally like finding the secrets, and did it in such way that its a bit puzzling. Do note that going down there actually DOES get you somewhere. You'll get the eye and a message on what to do next.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 18:28:20 »
I can see that people like this level. Everyone but me gave it a positve reveiw. I just isn't my kind of thing. I din't know about warps and stuff when I played this, so it seemed like a dead end to me.

Check out my tilesets!