I want to learn how to make a game. Where do i start?

• 52 Replies
I want to learn how to make a game. Where do i start?
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:57:58 »
I'm 13 and i have absolutely no experience in programing or anything else needed to do this. What all needs to be learned, and what should i start with?

Offline Evil

• View Profile
Re: I want to learn how to make a game. Where do i start?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:04:59 »
You should start with google :)

No  :sick:

The maker that nifflas uses use that, and learn it :)

c4d has nice 3d stuff you can make, the price is very expensive 4000$ (or was it maya?)
they use those 3d things to make games :)

^Thats all I know I'm not sure about the rest. Wait for other people to reply :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:25:55 »
Nifflas uses MMF2. It has a good community and extensions to make good games, but it does cost money.

GameMaker is an alternative you can try that doesn't cost money (you can buy a license to get that gamemaker shareware version loader out of your game)

Or you can start learning to program. Knowing a programming language is actually very handy because it helps you understand any kind of building tool.

Perhaps you should just try out software like Dark Basic (which can be used to create games)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:09 »
I'm 13 and i have absolutely no experience in programing or anything else needed to do this. What all needs to be learned, and what should i start with?

Recommending a game creation platform is a tricky thing...
Personally, i use and recommend Game Maker 8. It offers a simplistic UI (user interface), with drag & drop commands and simple creation tools, but has a powerful engine when you want to start coding. It doesn't take long to go from drag & drop to the coding at all.

I'm 16, and have been coding for 3 years. Personally, i would suggest practicing a bit of programming as well. It (at least for me) really feels good when you work out how to get past a bug/issue in what you are making. As for languages, i'm not very well read on game-making scripts, but something like HTML and JavaScript is a good place to get your head around things like common syntax and to get a bit of practice "behind the wheel" (that's where i started). Other good scripts are Visual Basic and Visual C# - a bit of a learning curve, but not to drastic

....wow, i sure rambled on a bit there XD

P.S. welcome to the nifforum  C)p

Edit: hey, im not to busy ATM, so if you choose to use Game Maker, and need some help or assistance, send a PM and i'll b happy to help :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 13:30:07 by AClockworkLemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 19:55:25 »
I recommend MMF2 (clickteam.com) unless you don't want to fork out too much money, In which case I suggest HTML 5.
Lurk more.

Offline Firewall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:22:17 »
A good launch pad for making a game is usualy Game Maker (I could be wrong). Although, some elements of it need the "PRO" edition of it, which would cost money, but you could still make alot of games.
_  _   Stars Earned: :hiddenstar:
O O

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:25 »
I was in the EXACT same situation as you last!

I started with Game maker.

Now, i don not believe it is very good, but it is VERY good for starting out.

It will sort of introduce you to concepts such as Functions, Variables and many other things.

I agree with everyone who said Game maker, as now, it has helped me learn many other things such as C.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 14:13:47 »
I recommend GameMaker 8.
It is very simple and funny, but I had to find how to make platform games´ character.
Now, I have got 2 platform games created (my first), so you see, it is very easy (you can make one small game per day)
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 20:04:49 »
Actually, if I were you, I'd start with something simple that requires no language, such as Knytt Stories' level editor, then slowly get into learning a language. If you want to make an RPG or sprite-based shooter or something like that, I'm currently dabbling in something called 001 Action/RPG Maker. (Google it if you're interested.)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 03:16:17 »
Actually, if I were you, I'd start with something simple that requires no language, such as Knytt Stories' level editor, then slowly get into learning a language. If you want to make an RPG or sprite-based shooter or something like that, I'm currently dabbling in something called 001 Action/RPG Maker. (Google it if you're interested.)

Game Maker requires no scripting at all, if you want
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 16:02:44 »

Game Maker requires no scripting at all, if you want

While you can learn a lot of the scripting process with the drag and drop stuff.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:56 »
While you can learn a lot of the scripting process with the drag and drop stuff.

You most certainly can.

On a different Note, i have some more advice, not just to the OP, but to anyone interested.
I'm a Game Maker 8 User, and i plan on using using it to create games for the coming Ludum Dare, but i also have begun learning Visual C#, with XNA 3.1

I've found that it's quite a good carry-on from GM, if not a good startpoint, as the learning curve isn't too steep, but still poses a few challenges (good in my opinion), and there is heaps of tutorials and resources out there. oh, and it can also create both 2D and 3D games.

If you can wait, XNA 4 is in beta, and will be coming out soon, which you will be able to connect with Visual C# Express 2010 (or Visual Studio if you have the money), or you can start now with XNA 3.1 and VC# 2008.

All downloads are avaliable free :D

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 18:09:11 »
OP

What does OP mean? :)

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 18:39:05 »
OP

Original poster.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:42 »
OP

Original poster.

=|=

Isnt it disrespectful. You know his name yet you substitute a two letter phrase for it?  :huh: