[Easy/Normal][Puzzle/Misc.] Pouring

• 14 Replies

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
[Easy/Normal][Puzzle/Misc.] Pouring
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:54 »
Recently, I've been starting to work on a very long KS level that'll have a kajillion custom tilesets and a bunch of custom music and a ton of custom objects and all that jazz.  However, one day, as I was reading through the forums, I though, "You know, I would like to just create a short level."  I happened to be working on a random piece of music that I was writing for a rainy atmosphere, and I thought, "Hey, I like rainy atmospheres when they're paired with rainy music."  So I decided to make the atmosphere rainy.  Then I thought, "Hey, as long as I'm using certain atmospheres I like, why not make it so it's nighttime and grassy and all that?" Because I love grassy nighttime atmospheres.  So that's what I began to work on.

What it will have....
  • 2, maybe 2-and-a-half, custom tilesets.
  • A few custom objects here and there.
  • 1 custom gradient.
  • 11 endings.  Yes, eleven endings. Maybe one or two more, depending on the ideas I get while making this.  You'll have to play through the full level each time for each different ending (which will probably take 15 minutes on average per play-through, but I'm not sure on that).
  • One custom song, that changes progressively as you advance through the level.

...And here's a screenshot.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:53:08 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: [Easy/Normal][Puzzle/Misc.] Pouring
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 16:35:24 »
Rainy levels are among my favorites.  I would suggest toning down the bright green to a more bluish in any way you can.  Rainy days rarely have bright greens.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 19:36:51 »
Yeah, I'll agree with you about the green.

How's this?  Too bright?  Too blue?
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline bunnrey

• still working...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 22:06:30 »
That looks very nice.  :)

I think the next step would be creating some background pieces. Things that go between the walkable blocks and the background I think really add depth to levels.
Maybe some mountains,or hills, or trees, or a hamlet. They would all be nice, if that's what you are going for.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:31:58 »
Yeah, it definitely needs some background stuff.  

I think if you can add a similar shade of blue as the blue of the background it will feel more like they are in the same atmosphere.  Right now there is an ultramarine air in the back with a turquoise foreground air.   You could also add the turquoise to the background... I know hmpf and others are major green level lovers.  They've even got a thread about it:  http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2883.0

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:34:41 »
Yeah, I'm aware that it needs some background tiles, I've got one part where I've added them in, and there are actually a few in some of the small "caves" as well-- that particular screen doesn't really have any background tiles, though.

EDIT:  Oh, and on the subject of the certain "airs" and all that, I think I'll modify the BG for the first bit to be more turquoise, then, as the level goes on (the night gets later), I'll switch the FG and BG to the darker blue.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:55:02 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:27:28 »
Blarg, making this level is gonna' be put on hold due to my spot in the Round Robin.  At least it's giving me something creative to do, and throwing a little variety into this whole thing (which I pretty much need).

So far, there are only 18 screens that are actually unique in general look.  Sheesh....
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:16:33 »
Decided to necrobump this topic to say that Pouring is actually being worked on once again!  Yay!  :D
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:36:43 »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:45 »
Alright, so, within a day's time, I took care of some of the most ridiculously annoying work (which was mostly fiddling with the somewhat disorganized flags and repeated screens, as well as a little bit of bugfixing), and, as such, I finally completed the second "level" (out of four) in Pouring, after having left it unfinished for months.  Tomorrow, I'll actually get to work on some level design--particularly, that of the third "level".

EDIT:  By the way, I could (for the time being) use just one or two people to just... take a look at what I've done so far and give a little constructive criticism and/or advice relative to bugfixes and the like.  It'd be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 15:58:39 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 23:54:03 »
I'd like to be one of those people.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 02:58:47 »
i guess ill take a look at your level. If you are ready to send it to me, PM (Personal Message) the level to me.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 04:14:59 »
Thanks a bunch for volunteering, guys. :)
I won't need anyone else for the time being, but I might ask for more people later on when Pouring is a lot closer to complete.

That said, I've worked on about 8 additional screens since my last post (5 of which are unique screens).  They aren't all complete yet.  As a whole, the third level in Pouring is somewhere around 1/4 or 1/3 finished. 
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 01:07:26 »
How's Pouring going?
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 09:19:06 »
How's Pouring going?
It's making slow but steady progress at this point.  I'm almost halfway done with the third "level".  It might be quicker, but nearly every unique screen I add seems to add another one or two screens copied over from screens already created.  I'm going to put it on hold very briefly to complete "The Lighthouses," which I'm gonna' work on for the short time-frame KS level competition (deadline July 15).  Then, back to my work of chewing little teeny bits off at a time for Pouring.

EDIT:  Also, oh my gosh, your avatar is my absolute bane when I am tired.  I just completely zone out if I look at it for too long.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:20:40 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud