egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #660 on: August 10, 2014, 16:15:35 »
Ah, my bad. I never worked with the mod, so I didn't know there's such feature.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 10, 2014, 16:33:04 »
Well, reading your answer prompted me to try and answer the original question, and answering the question prompted me to add a few more screens to 'Dragon Myth', so it worked out well in the end :P

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2014, 17:59:31 »
Talps' explanation of the Delete object was good and through. Making it repeatable should have no benefit.

I have a simple example of the Delete object at the end TToK: Earth Temple Beta. I'm making it appear as though picking up the key allows Juni to pass through a wall. In reality a spot-shaped trigger occupies the same space as the key. The Trigger deletes a Juni-Blocker. The screen coordinates are x985y1003.

« Reply #663 on: September 08, 2014, 21:29:21 »
I think I found a bug, not sure if it's been reported before, but I don't have 2 hours to read through a 45 page topic.

About 50% of the time, resetting with the F2 key while in Zoom mode causes this to happen.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #664 on: September 09, 2014, 11:16:50 »
I occasionally get an error of this type, but cycling the zoom level usually fixes it. Can you fix it by changing the zoom level? There might be a weakness in the program which I could fix, but the scaling thing is ridiculously complicated. So, unless it's a fatal flaw I'm not going to dive into that code again. I'll give you a star for the bug report all the same though. :)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #665 on: September 09, 2014, 16:57:31 »
Can you fix it by changing the zoom level?

I've encountered this bug also, but didn't report it because for me it can be fixed by zoom cycling or clicking any of the menu buttons.

« Reply #666 on: September 09, 2014, 17:42:51 »
It only happens about 50% of the time when I reset with F2. If I mash F2 again and again it goes away, but it's quite annoying, so I just figured it may be worth looking at. To me it seems like only the Y axis isn't getting scaled and the X axis is always getting scaled, but like I said it's only a problem about 50% of the time.

My screen can only handle 1x or 2x, as my max resolution is 1366x768 (I have a laptop)

Off topic, amazing job on the mod, this is worth having for the key remapping alone, and all the scripting and new game design options makes it even more worth having.

« Reply #667 on: September 09, 2014, 18:35:33 »
My experience with this thing:

My zoom level is normally set to x2, and like with cheatfreak, it can't go higher. (Probably for the same reason but i don't know my resolution.)

So i recently checked this to see if it would happen to me. It did, but not nearly as frequently as 50% of the time. Unless he meant it had 50% chance of happening (Monte Carlo fallacy and all that), i'd say it's more like 10% or less, for me at least. I never had this problem when resetting after playing a level. And regarding that changing the zoom level thing, for me it happens regardless of how much you spam Ctrl + Z.

Also, cheatfreak, like Sergio said, clicking one of the menu buttons fixes the zoom thing. I think clicking a Play button that's slightly higher up would be preferrable over hammering that poor F2 button.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #668 on: September 10, 2014, 03:16:52 »
Hmm, This F2 thing may have to do with a weird issue where a key press is read as a rapid succession of key presses. It's most notable with save spots. You can hear the sound effect launch several times for a brief press, and continue to launch when holding down the key. In winXP the problem resolved itself only when restarting the PC. :O I've also seen it in win8.1. Anyway, I only get this F2 bug when I rapidly mash the key. So, you may have this mysterious key stuttering bug. I bet I'm double checking only the X dimension and not the Y, because both dimensions are always set together, but if you reset while the size is being adjusted only one instruction might get through.

Fixing this may be as simple as changing the Y dimension before the X. The key stuttering I believe is an incompatibility between Windows and the key listeners built into MMF2, so I can't fix it.

« Reply #669 on: September 10, 2014, 05:27:02 »
Oddly, the issue isn't present in Knytt Stories Ex, not sure if that's worth mentioning or not. The source to KS ex is available on it's web page if that may help.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 10, 2014, 09:38:02 »
Double-pass rendering is now available for KS+ levels
Could you please tell me how to archieve this? It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

« Reply #671 on: September 10, 2014, 13:10:14 »
Just click Options in the top bar thing and uncheck "Use single pass render", i'd assume...?

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 10, 2014, 17:09:51 »
Oh, I was hoping there was a way to force that option for anyone who plays a determined level (Or even better, An specific section of a level). As i find single-pass to be way too buggy to be worth it. For example, right now im strugling with the fact that when you shift to a "alternate version" of a screen with golden creatures, the collectibles will be considered to have been "Already loaded" and not appear on the alternate version.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #673 on: September 13, 2014, 08:01:14 »
Oddly, the issue isn't present in Knytt Stories Ex, not sure if that's worth mentioning or not. The source to KS ex is available on it's web page if that may help.
KS Ex and KS+ are entirely different approaches to modding KS. GrayFace made an extension for his mod which allowed him to write whatever functions he wanted in a real programming language. I endeavored to not only use existing extensions, but to restrict myself to extensions compatible with the cheap version of the programming software KS is built upon. As a result, KS+ is a lot clunkier than it needs to be, but I can still edit the source now that I only have the cheap version of the programming software.

Oh, I was hoping there was a way to force that option for anyone who plays a determined level (Or even better, An specific section of a level). As i find single-pass to be way too buggy to be worth it. For example, right now im strugling with the fact that when you shift to a "alternate version" of a screen with golden creatures, the collectibles will be considered to have been "Already loaded" and not appear on the alternate version.
I believe designer chosen render methods was discussed. I don't remember the decision I came to, but I see no evidence of it being implemented. I must have shot down the idea. I do however have an idea for fixing this golden creature bug. Instead of checking for the existence of a creature, I should store weather a creature has been created in a local variable. The variables change instantly, whereas it take more than one cycle to delete an object.

I hereby schedule myself to stop reset screen screw-ups and change collectible creature creation checks on my next day off. That would be Tuesday.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 13, 2014, 11:57:27 »
It took me about five attempts to understand the sentence where you wrote 'weather' instead of 'whether'. I was trying to think of a golden creature that resembled some sort of cloud. This is what happens when I go on these forums right after waking up.

On a slightly more topical note, the general lagginess of KS+ and single-pass rendering makes it impossible to play my level, 'My Loving Hadron Collider' using it, as a sequence of it relies on timing with those big white explosions. The timing only works in basic KS (for me, at least). In fact the lag in KS+ also makes a lot of the screen transitions really hard because I used far too many COs per screen than I ever needed to and it hates me for that. :) Only time I ever use basic KS now is when I want to play that.

Lag in KS+ is my one qualm with your mod, Ego.