egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #705 on: October 21, 2014, 18:27:57 »
You're probably beyond sick of hearing this, but... found a bug. :/

Using an OCO to recolour a Bank 7 object (7,6). Problem is only some of the leaves are being generated in the new colour; most are coming out the original colour (and I did spell 'colour' the American way in the code).

Screenshot exampling the editor and the level. (And an unrelated typo, as it happens *grumble*.)
(Also, this isn't 'Dragon Myth'. I wanted to make a small level using some of the Community Tileset... tilesets.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:08:41 by Talps »

« Reply #706 on: November 07, 2014, 16:50:25 »
what is single pass render?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 16:56:20 by djsolidsnake86 »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 07, 2014, 23:51:34 »
I suppose you mean the "Use sigle pass render" option in the options menu.
It basically determines how the game loads the screens everytime you move between screens. In the original Knytt Stories, when you enter a new screen the game will first load all background and collision tiles. and only after that it's done it will load any interactive or animated objects. This helps prevent plenty of glitches caused by loading tiles and objects simultaneously, but can result in noticeable "Blinking" when a screen has fullscreen custom objects or waterfalls. KS+ exclusive levels instead do load both tiles and objects on a "Single pass" and tries to fix the bugs trough alternative methods. But can cause the game to feel "Laggy" when going between screens. The option you see on the menu allows you to force one loading method or the other. When enabled it uses the method for KS+ exclusive levels. When disabled it uses the vainilla KS method.

TL;DR: It causes different effects when entering new screens, Leaving it enabled causes lag on object-intesive areas and possible gitches, Leaving it disabled causes graphical annoyances.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #708 on: November 08, 2014, 02:06:26 »
@Talps: That object must have more than one colour. For rain I had to overwrite 3 different colours for custom colours to work. It shouldn't be too hard to fix. :)

@Firecat: Thanks for fielding that question. :)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 08, 2014, 02:40:53 »
Is that something I need to do in my programming or something you'll patch?

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 11, 2014, 07:24:51 »
Well, this was a rather strange (and somewhat alarming) bug.

When I just reopened the level I was working on, all the script-related information (shift, warp, trigger, sign) for the last screen I worked on had disappeared!  Everything else seems to be intact, thankfully, and it's not too much trouble to put everything back into place, but I KNOW I had to have this information saved because I playtested the level multiple times before closing the level editor earlier today.  No idea what happened or why, but it should be all okay!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #711 on: November 20, 2014, 01:39:37 »
@Talps: I'll have to fix it in the source.

@Ultigonio: I've no idea how that could have happened. Maybe you had the script open in a text editor? I used to use notepad++ to do my source editing before I made Level Editor Plus. Looki's editor mod was always overwriting the World.ini on me.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 27, 2014, 04:34:33 »
Well, this is rather bizarre.  I know I sent you a few things about what I would like fixed if possible in KS+, Ego, but this particular side effect of my level is significantly interesting that I thought it was worth posting here.  It turns out that, if you're carrying a delayed shift when you run through a shift that triggers on touch, it immediately "activates" the delayed shift.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #713 on: November 29, 2014, 00:48:47 »
Huh. The shifts are so much more complicated than they used to be. You're clearly using them in ways I never considered. I'm not sure if I can even sort out what problems there might be, or if they're even problems or "features." ;)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #714 on: December 02, 2014, 21:01:02 »
After 3 hours of painstaking scrutiny, I finally solved the Area Ambiance problem. The program doesn't wait for loops to finish, so it was updating the volumes while it was still determining what they should be. -_-

I'll look through the last few pages of this thread and see what other pressing faults KS+ has before making a release. I'm aiming for a new version tomorrow. Then, I'll see about updating the stand-ins version.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #715 on: December 04, 2014, 04:34:40 »
Ahhh! Sorry about the triple-post, but...

Knytt Stories Plus 1.1.3

This version fixes several bugs.
  • Area Ambiance no longer has trouble determining the volume with multiple objects.
  • Teleport Flashes work with relative movements that wrap you back to the current screen.
  • Purple Leaves can be recolored/recloured. It attempts to make some leaves lighter and some leaves darker. Try to avoid colors/colours that are too close to maximum or minimum values for red, green, and blue.

I'll make a stand-in version of the current build if it proves stable. :)

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 27, 2014, 04:38:16 »
  • Teleport Flashes work with relative movements that wrap you back to the current screen.
You have no idea how much I appreciate this fix.  It seems like such a small thing!

That said, in my constant mucking about, I discovered another weird bug: it seems that, specifically while screen wrapping is active, crossing screen boundaries while cloaked will cause the hologram to disappear.  The player can uncloak, but until then, there's simply no hologram - at all.  If you cloak near a creature like, say 14:18 (the upside-down spike-elongator), and then drop off the screen boundary, the thing retracts its spikes.  If you cloak and drop off a screen boundary with a chaser on screen, it just... keeps going in a straight line - toward wherever your hologram was, but eventually passing it entirely.  Also notable is that the seems to be unique to KS+; just to be sure, I checked that it didn't occur in the most recent build of vanilla KS.

edit: Just for grins, I tried out the last beta version of KS+, and the bug occurs there as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 04:42:45 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #717 on: December 29, 2014, 05:14:41 »
That said, in my constant mucking about, I discovered another weird bug...
Uh oh! That sounds like a serious issue. Better get back to modding. :/

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 23, 2015, 17:15:57 »
Um... is it possible to force the umbrella open, like flag-removing it when it was open used to do? I was pondering about ideas and I thought that the way the umbrella effects walking, jumping and falling might be good to simulate underwater movement. It'd require making the umbrella invisible, but also stopping the player from closing it - and if you were to put savepoints in this underwater sequence, forcing them to open it when they respawned...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 17:31:22 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #719 on: March 01, 2015, 16:33:33 »
Um... is it possible to force the umbrella open, like flag-removing it when it was open used to do? I was pondering about ideas and I thought that the way the umbrella effects walking, jumping and falling might be good to simulate underwater movement. It'd require making the umbrella invisible, but also stopping the player from closing it - and if you were to put savepoints in this underwater sequence, forcing them to open it when they respawned...
No there isn't. The stuck umbrella bug is one of the few things I intentionally changed from KS Original (if memory serves.) So, old levels that use this bug to advantage wont work in KS+. This however sounds like a great underwater movement solution. I always imagined the need for swimming and swimming animations and felt it was all too much. I'm modding today for Ultigonio's sake, so I'll look at the source and see if I can't work something out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 16:35:48 by egomassive »