egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #720 on: March 01, 2015, 22:14:27 »
Here's 1.1.4 for testing.

I've fixed the Hologram+Warping issue Ultigonio found. And, I've added physics for underwater movement. For the second one I made it simple for you. In bank 0, object 48 makes the whole screen act like water. Objects 49 and 50 make only the area they cover act like water. By "act like water" I simply mean that Juni's movements are adjusted to act more floaty and slow. Please, let me know how it feels and what you think needs adjusting.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 01, 2015, 23:29:00 »
The fix seems to be working out perfectly, thank you so much!

I also tested out the new water physics object, and I've found that it can be somewhat unreliable to escape Swim Areas, and it seems like it's slightly set to the right (so that I'm not inside it if I'm on the far left of a water area tile, and that I am inside it if I'm on the far left of a tile to the right of a swim area tile (see image below if that's unclear*).  I'm also not entirely sure if object 50, the half-size one, is doing anything.  I may just be using it incorrectly.

*this one:

Also, this happens and it's kind of funny (and probably unintended): http://www.hitbox.tv/video/437299
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #722 on: March 02, 2015, 04:54:41 »
Wow! Guess I should have tested underwater updrafts. I'll need to adjust the placement on those SwimArea tiles for them to work correctly. Your level's looking fantastic btw.

edit: I've no idea what's going on in that video. I thought the updrafts might have caused something to go haywire, but I can't reproduce it. The area tiles were misplaced. I'm not sure what to do about exiting water. It's tricky.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:24:04 by egomassive »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 02, 2015, 05:35:50 »
Thank you!  It wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for your mod, and your submarine tileset has been invaluable asset to crafting a simple, yet reasonably appealing aesthetic.

Also, just to clarify - the goofy movement bug that I made happen was caused by me holding out the umbrella and jumping.  After messing with it a bit more, it seems like the cause, more specifically, is entering a Swim Area after exiting one with the umbrella, since exiting a Swim Area with the umbrella held out causes Juni to maintain the "Swim Area with umbrella out" physics.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #724 on: March 12, 2015, 16:25:17 »
Here's a new version of 1.1.4 for testing.

I never saw the water/umbrella bug first hand, but I think I know what the cause was. I've made all the logic a little more robust. I've also modified the physics a bit when the umbrella is in play. Now you sink very slowly if it's open. It plays havoc with the climbing animation though. I still need to work on making it easier to exit the water. I'll probably add a little jump boost when you emerge. There's always been a similar boost when you climb to the top of a cliff to get you over that edge.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 12, 2015, 18:47:12 »
That swim area is really cool. I've already started implementing it.

Questions about several possible features:

1. I assume this will be impossible but could a fly area exist using a similar mechanic to the swim area but using the umbrella open speed of the Bank 15 Object 5 wind gust?
If this is impossible, as I assume because even if it were using it along having the swim area would probably be too much of a hassle, could you make it so Bank 15 Object 5 is capable of being used as a custom object override?

I want to implement using an umbrella as a jetpack but filling many screens entirely with the wind gust object is not really visually palatable. (I now realize hiding the wind gust is probably a better solution to the fly area as you would have more granular control by turning the jetpack off and on)

2. Movement sounds, can they be turned off and on somehow? The sound is always feet hitting a hard surface, but if the surface were clouds the movement sounds come off as harsh. Also, the swim area itself seems to want this, whether Juni is fully submerged or you're using it simulate her running over mud, her feet are the same volume as before she enters and when she exits the swim area.

I was also toying with the idea of having a custom character spritesheet that hovered but then I realized Juni would still make the running sound, so I ditched that.

If either of these require too much work, don't worry about it, I'm just asking on the off chance that these things might be easy to do.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 18:51:11 by plural »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #726 on: March 13, 2015, 23:05:07 »
@Plural: I'll look into it. I imagine the screen of up-drafts would be easy to implement. I can certainly make up-draft graphics override-able. Sounds based on terrain I originally avoided because Saira had this and I expected KU would too. I didn't want to undercut the attraction of making levels for those two games. I'm also worried about the performance of user sounds. Muting/damping Juni's movement sounds may be doable.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 31, 2015, 18:03:36 »
Bug:

Tried making an OCO out of 2, 32 and its animation didn't play. I based it off of the template in the template folder; it flew around and killed me as it should, but only as a static image.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 12, 2015, 23:56:59 »
Some minor things I don't know if they're bugs or are intentional:

Cutscene ambiance resets back to the beginning of the song/sound when the cutscene is triggered, it also resets to the beginning the song/sound when the cutscene is ended. (Probably just the ways things are but I was hoping the function would be more fluid and keep playing the ambiance that was already playing and carry the cutscene playing the ambiance to the next area that's playing the same ambiance).

Cutscene fade color: it says that black is 8, but 1 is black and 8 is a sort of reddish-black. I don't know if this is intentional because of how black becomes transparent along with that purple and actual black might best be avoided. Though I set my cutscene fades to 1 and they all function normally and are black.

Title: The title's black background is the reddish-black 8, mentioned above, and the subtitle's background is probably a 1 because it's much more black. I'm not sure if the mistake was not having the subtitle be the reddish-black as well or what.

I don't have a problem with the 8 color, I'd prefer black, but I should think that the title and subtitle background colors are supposed to be the same.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 23:58:35 by plural »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #729 on: April 15, 2015, 04:09:27 »
@Plural: The music restarting when going from cutscene to gameplay is carried over from the original KS. I kept it since I wanted original levels to play as though they were on the original engine. I didn't realize I messed up the black on the title/subtitle. It could be real black since it has an alpha channel. The thing with using 8 for black is that true black often becomes clear in MMF. Using 8 instead of something more subtle stems from parts of the MFF programming rounding colors to their nearest byte, and we wouldn't want it to round to zero and decide to be invisible. The best black not including 0 is actually one bit of blue, 65536, I normally suggest a byte of red because 8 is an easier number to remember.

@Talps: Yup, that's a bug. Since it only has one animation, it never initializes the animation, so there wasn't anything for the OCO listeners to pick up on. Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but this one has special restrictions to prevent it from changing the direction it faces. I've fixed it in my copy. Guess I ought to get around to making all the updates KS+ needs so I can make a new release. *star for you*

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #730 on: June 05, 2015, 07:51:15 »
Oof! Can't believe I'm still updating this baby!

Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.1.5

What's inside:
  • Water physics with newly tweaked jumping out of water. See objects 0:48 to 0:50.
  • Up Wind 15:5 can be graphically overridden.
  • Fast Homing Square 2:32 can be graphically overridden better.
  • Swimming and Clouds muffle Juni's movement sounds.
  • A new Soft object 7:17 also muffles her sounds.
The sound muffling is a surprisingly nice improvement. Glad you talked me into it Plural.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:57:46 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 05, 2015, 20:20:41 »
Woo, now I get to see how ugly my 15:5 OCO is! :P

Muffling sounds is awesome but I'd rather it wasn't attached to the cloud object since I use said object for ash and dust at times.

Haven't got around to trying out swim objects yet, but I will get to it soon. I'm hoping to get a big chunk of 'Dragon Myth' done this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 21:27:41 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #732 on: June 06, 2015, 04:30:07 »
Muffling sounds is awesome but I'd rather it wasn't attached to the cloud object since I use said object for ash and dust at times.
At the time I was implementing it, I figured most uses for the cloud object, including those with custom colourings, would be on soft materials. I suppose a dusty castle or ashy volcano would still have hard footfalls. I'll think about switching muffling to only the soft object and swimming.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #733 on: June 06, 2015, 09:18:56 »
I agree with Talps' sentiment surorunding cloud sound muffling. If I'm understanding correctly, it alters the sound effects in existing vanilla KS levels, which I frown upon to a mild degree. It's a feature I'm glad to see added, though! I've always found Juni's footsteps rather monotonous.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #734 on: June 06, 2015, 18:10:56 »
I agree with Talps' sentiment surorunding cloud sound muffling. If I'm understanding correctly, it alters the sound effects in existing vanilla KS levels, which I frown upon to a mild degree.
I would say try it before you knock it, but my most compelling thought against cloud muffling is what if you were playing an old level and the cloud object did not cover every inch of the clouds? There would be hard footfalls mixed in with soft foot falls. It would break immersion pretty badly.

Edit: I made some changes to 1.1.5. I took muffling off of clouds, but you can still get the effect with the Soft object. I made the muffled sounds a bit louder. I also tweaked mini map colors for dark colors. Now background gradients with subtle colors won't show as black on the mini map so often. Just use the same link as before.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 22:41:30 by egomassive »