egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #870 on: April 10, 2016, 06:41:59 »
@ Ultigonio: I managed to reproduce what you're describing. I never meant for you to delete a spawn object with a delete object. If you just want spawn effects then don't declare an object. I haven't dug into it yet, but I suspect that when you reduce the count of spawn objects on screen, then spawn objects with higher numbered identities stop getting checked. Something like:
  • Originally there were 10 Spawn objects numbered 1 to 10.
  • You delete Spawn objects 6 and 7.
  • You activate Trigger A.
  • Since there are now 8 Spawn objects the engine only checks to see if objects numbered 1 to 8 are flavored A.
  • Spawn objects 9 and 10 don't get checked so they don't work anymore.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 10, 2016, 08:25:02 »
Well, the issue is that I want a delete object to have the same "flash" that a spawn object has - if I don't declare an object, then the flash simply appears in the upper-left corner.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #872 on: April 11, 2016, 07:34:04 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.2.6

This version fixes:
  • You can now delete Spawn objects without affecting other Spawn objects.
  • I noticed while playing Advena that OCO's of the Humbird, 2:25, had trouble looking to the right. It turns out that the prerecorded path used makes it look directly up and down. OCOs treated that as looking left while normal objects continued looking in the last set direction.

Offline jdl

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 14, 2016, 03:09:23 »
This mod is really awesome! :)

I have a suggestion for the map system though. Maybe you can include the option for an "area" map that hides sections of the entire map until you've collected the map item for a certain area. If you don't have an area's map yet, it can still show only the screens you've already visited, and also the screens that contain the map items (so that you have an idea of where to go).

EDIT: I spent some time in the Editor and found out a way to do this, though it does take a while to set up, so maybe having a different way to do it would be better. Here is my demonstration level. This way uses Flags, Shifts, Warps, Signs, and Map Spoofing. Because there are only 10 Flags (well, 10 that I'm aware of anyway) that means you can only have up to 10 Areas. I'm still a bit rusty with the KS engine in general so there's probably a more simple way to do this. Also, this can be broken a little with the umbrella or double jump by collecting the map powerups without touching the ground square its standing on.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 23:15:48 by jdl »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #874 on: April 15, 2016, 00:14:46 »
@jdl: Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. There are a lot of ways the map could be better for players. My priorities were to make it work with old levels and fit with the existing level design methodology. In retrospect, I wish I had created a separate map.bin to store designer controlled map information instead of putting instructions in the World.ini. The main problem is that map information can make the World.ini huge which causes long loading times. The main benefits would've been greater functionality and ease of use.

The demo level is interesting. This brings the map functionality a little closer to Super Metroid which I think would be ideal with its separate maps, map icons, indications for how rooms connect, and hidden areas even when you have a map. I couldn't see how to incorporate all these features without level designers being required to craft these maps, and I wanted it to work well by default.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 15, 2016, 18:10:41 »
Just noticed that custom umbrellas don't block projectiles that can be blocked by the regular umbrella, but as I report this, I can't help but think, did I already notice this?  Did I already report this?  Did you already explain why it can't be fixed?

Ah well, I'm reporting it again.  Sorry if it's a repeat report!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #876 on: April 16, 2016, 04:07:44 »
Just noticed that custom umbrellas don't block projectiles that can be blocked by the regular umbrella, but as I report this, I can't help but think, did I already notice this?  Did I already report this?  Did you already explain why it can't be fixed?

Ah well, I'm reporting it again.  Sorry if it's a repeat report!
Yup, it's known and documented behavior. If I put the real umbrella in there but made it invisible then it would work well when being replaced by another umbrella, but if you replace it with a jet pack then it would make things weird.
Quote from: KS+ Instructions
Warning! Custom umbrellas do not protect from projectiles.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 20, 2016, 00:46:16 »
I think I've got a couple of minor bugs.

I've noticed that when I compress my levels with the KS+ editor they seem to come out named levelname.knytt.knytt.bin instead of levelname.knytt.bin.

Also, unrelated, if you reset the game when you're in a level, the ambiance from the level plays over the title screen and continues to play until you load a game.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #878 on: April 20, 2016, 02:53:42 »
@ Talps: Those are both pretty weird. I'm not having any luck getting either one to happen. I did recently revert the reset behavior to the old hard reset behavior where it re-launches the application instead of just going back to the menu.  It's pretty confusing stuff since pieces from all over the program come into play, and I wasn't feeling confident about the change at all. The .knytt.knytt.bin thing is pretty weird. I don't think I ever changed that bit of the program, though I did put in dialogues to prompt you to add level info and make your folder match your level name. Did you let it rename your level folder when this took place?

Offline jdl

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 21, 2016, 02:59:02 »
I've found a few minor cosmetic bugs with the main menu (not sure if these have been reported).
The following buttons are not highlighted when you move the mouse over them:
- Install Level
- Get More Levels
- Credits
- About MMF
- Tilesets (1) and Back buttons in the credits menu
- Visit Website and Back buttons in the About MMF menu
- Start New Game and Load Game in the world save slot selection menu

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #880 on: April 21, 2016, 10:29:56 »
@ jdl: Wow, I wonder how long it's been like that! I imagine it has probably been like this since the beginning and no one ever noticed. Thanks for the report.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 03, 2016, 22:53:18 »
Question about the "Flag All" function - does every flag, A, B, and C have to have some sort of condition met in order to trigger it, or do you only need to meet the conditions of the flags that are in use for that screen?  In other words, if I only have a flag A and B on a given screen, will meeting both those conditions be enough to trigger the "Flag All"?
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #882 on: May 04, 2016, 00:48:48 »
@ Ultigonio: Yes, Flag All activates when all of the flags that are checked are true. In fact, the example in the Features Demonstration level only checks two Flags. You could even use it on a single Flag, but that would have no advantage over using that one Flag normally.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #883 on: May 10, 2016, 21:56:05 »
It seems this mod is very succesfull. It is well done and has a lot of useful features.
Think the most of people use it instead of original KS, not just to play KS+ levels, but also for the original ones.
On the Nifflas homepage, there is link to rrc2soft's website with DS homebrew version.
I think there could be a link to egomassive's website to download KS+. What do you think about it?
Would definitely be good. My mod is more suited to run standard KS levels though, because it loads screens faster. Except for one thing: I never experienced the save points and springs bug described in http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=6585.0 and didn't fix it in KS Ex.

Yeah, single-pass rendering is not perfect. Full-screen CO's are a weak spot. I never had any problems with Exploring the Golden Lands, but I'm using gigantic fog animations in a level I'm making, and it flashes rarely. I'm convinced that these flashes depend on the power/load of your processor. This means user experiences could vary widely.
I think that's because you're on Win 8 or higher. It renders KS with lower FPS, because it forces V-Sync onto everything. On XP or on Win 7 with Aero turned off there should be a clear 1 frame flash every time a screen is entered.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #884 on: May 11, 2016, 09:35:26 »
It's good to hear from you GrayFace. Win 8 was lousy at rendering games. Especially some semi-translucent effects. It wasn't just this game that suffered. Upgrading to Win 10 fixed most of the problems I was having. Here's the latest source if you or anyone else is interested.

KS+ 1.2.6 source file 2.9 MB,  Requires Standard Edition MMF2 and several extensions to read.