Key's Curse [Small/Puzzle/Easy/Normal/Hard]

• 6 Replies
Key's Curse [Small/Puzzle/Easy/Normal/Hard]
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:16:24 »
"Key's Curse" is my first game so I went for something small (Things were starting to spiral out of control...I started with 4 screens and ended up with three difficulty levels spanning 57 screens. Now I understand why people have 400+ screens...)

The core idea is that everything is either a lock or a key (or a giant black urchin waiting to kill you). So you need to choose keys in the correct order to open the mega-lock.

Thanks to ultigonio and green.cookie with their wallswim advice and other ideas.

Anyway, here she is. Just copy the url into your browser address bar. It should work...

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/DaveGermainGames%20-%20Key%27s%20Curse.knytt.bin

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: Key's Curse [Small/Puzzle/Easy/Normal/Hard]
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:57:16 »
Clever, fun. Mainly trial and error at first, before coming into some skill. It was fun. Completed the hardest level quicker than the medium, but that's probably because I was used to the technique by then.

So yeah, there was quite a bit of hype about this since the preview, so I was thinking it might be a bit pants or it might be pretty good; it came in at the 'pretty good' end of my prediction. So well done :P

If there was one criticism, I'd say it's a longer-than-necessary fall from messing up to death, so I was killing Juni as she fell most times. It's not a big thing, but it's something to think of for future (I made the same mistake in my own level, only on a much bigger scale. There was a section where if you missed one of the jumps you'd fall through several screens before hitting the water and dying.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:02:52 by Talps »

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 20:59:56 »
wow, quite easy. Died once just cause I was not sure what was going on... then  win.

Edit:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

oh never mind, I am dumb.... hey at least I can admit it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 21:03:59 by drwright »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 21:19:19 »
Nice. Clearly, more effort went into this than most puzzle levels.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 21:28:43 »
Hi, dave, the idea is nice but the level is far too easy even on the hardest mode - took 20 seconds to complete.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:37:26 »
Methinks the puzzle could have changed between difficulties. The easiest difficulty was too hard, the hardest too easy.
Lurk more.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 16:57:07 »
Good advice - the consensus seems to be "too small, too easy." It's a bit tricky making puzzles since...well, you know the answer to the puzzle. I really had no idea how difficult it was. Also, there are only 4 keys so...what, 24 possible combinations?

I'm probably going to move on to other concepts for a while (custom object villians). If anyone is feeling creative, take a crack at this key/lock concept. It's fairly fast since you don't need to make tilesets.

All in all, thanks for playing and I hope to have something new for you soon.