Your favourite level and Why? (out of plain curiousity)

• 120 Replies
Your favourite level and Why? (out of plain curiousity)
« on: March 31, 2009, 00:23:15 »
Well this is just because im curious bout people answers (yes,yes i know curiousity killed the cat but im a dog so it doesn't matter)

Either your favourite level (just one) or your top 5
I know there are many levels but just say the ones you have played so far

so lets begin:  C)p
My Favourite level would have to be A Walk at Night hands down
the reason why is because it has a simple layout that delivers the most out of it, the music is just pure masterpiece and the story line is simple. If you play this at night, the effects double.

So what level do you like?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:34:46 by Strange Darkness »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Your favourite level and Why? (out of plain curiousity)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 00:29:21 »
Do my own levels count? X)
Actually, my favorite is definitely Gaia. It's just huuuuge and beautiful.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:27:53 »
I've played hundreds of levels, and I can't possibly narrow it down to one.
good bye

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:45:23 »
There are thousands of levels; I doubt anyone's played them all. Except for maybe ^. :P
Lurk more.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:33:39 »
To googoogjoob - maybe your top 3?

To purple pinapple - just comment on the ones you have played so far

mmmm maybe i should edit my first post to make it a bit more open  :^^:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:35:14 by Strange Darkness »

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:07:34 »
Momruoy's "Infestation"

EDIT: Well, this level is my favorite for a few reasons. First of all, the graphics are really good the atmosphere really fits. Second, there's great music. It might be copyrighted, I don't know, but still. Finally, the difficulty is hard to very hard... that might discourage some people from playing it...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 18:08:54 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 00:53:50 »
"Travel eastward" by Darktremor   C)p
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 03:35:33 »
Monochrome, by: Firecat

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:19:23 »
Momruoy's "Infestation"
Monochrome, by: Firecat
"Travel eastward" by Darktremor   C)p

But heres the question.. Why?
what made these levels become your favourite while hundreds others didn't

4a

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 17:00:20 »
My favorite is KG's Teenhmifnoeafgil. :O
...why? it was big (someone said it's the biggest level ever made) and you get to fight a certain someone if you try for the best ending, also the music was mostly cool and unfamiliar-sounding, I'm not sure if KG made the music though, and it's really weird  which is also cool. But I don't think the boss fight will work so well with the new versions of KS. :/

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 18:09:11 »
Momruoy's "Infestation"

EDIT: Well, this level is my favorite for a few reasons. First of all, the graphics are really good the atmosphere really fits. Second, there's great music. It might be copyrighted, I don't know, but still. Finally, the difficulty is hard to very hard... that might discourage some people from playing it...
Fixed
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 22:19:23 »
My favorite is definitely Core by Fredrik Andersson. That is without doubt the best level ever made.

Edit
Not really, but it still pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 22:32:48 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 22:49:46 »
I think that - if I had to pick a definitely favorite - it would be the original Frozen Mountain. That level is unthinkably brilliant. When you play it at first you WILL be confused beyond belief. You won't find the best ending. However, having played it probably over a hundred times and knowing all the secrets I can say that the design is absolutely ingenious. The level aesthetics are so well done. And it's still a delight to play even though I know it like the back of my hand. I very much salute Drakkan for that one.

Offline TheSquashedOrange

• Nothing is bad or good, but thinking makes it so.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 01:43:38 »
I haven't played to many levels, but two of my most favourites are:

The Late Don't Eat the Mushroom: :sad: It's great fun to play through purely because of it's randomness C)p (multiple endings are kinda cool too.)

The Machine: A little easy, but hugely fun because of it's scenery and general layout :). I'm sure nifflas designed it for newbies to get used to the game and see what they could do with the editor (it only uses teh standard music and tilesets.)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 02:30:52 »
If I had to narrow it down (in alphabetical order of author name):

I think Core by Frederik Andersson is the best "normal" level; that is, it uses custom material very sparingly. Its environment is very well-constructed, and everything fits together.

Harvest by Farik is the best plot-oriented level, and it too has a coherent environment which expands over the course of the level. (If Noi ever finishes Etherworld, it would be strong competition for best plot level.)

Jerom's Knytt 8-bits is excellent at adhering to its concept. The screen layout and black-and-white thing are kept up from start to finish, and the level itself is very good at evoking the games it's inspired by.

Teenhmifnoeafgil by KG is very impressive in its sheer size and scope. The many endings all fit in, too.

Riku Island by Khodi is the best environmental level. It stays simple throughout, and it works.

The Life Ruby by RangerX sets a very high standard for custom levels; it's designed seamlessly and the graphics (and music) are uniformly excellent.

The Cube series of levels by TheRealTJ are the best puzzle levels yet.

There are, of course, many other fantastic levels: I've just listed the very best of the best here. Of course, all of this could change. As mentioned above, the Etherworld series could trump Harvest. (Maybe.) The Life Ruby really does set a high standard, and it might be a while before it's surpassed. I think the puzzle level has yet to be made. Challenge levels are very diverse, and I can't really choose an overall best.

Of all the levels I've played, there are some I love and some I hate, and then the rest fall somewhere in between- not good enough to be on my favorites list (or the top of the list, as here), but not bad enough for me to reasonably dislike (but of course, this isn't a least favorites topic).
good bye