3 screen shots & short game info

• 89 Replies
Re: 3 screen shots & short game info
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 02:46:09 »
I doubt Nifflas would want to change the style of the photo backgrounds of this game this far into development, since it seems like he has a very specific style in mind that he has thought through.  For example, he has even mentioned that in this game the photos will all be crisp, not blurred like in Saira.  That shows that he has thought through what he wants it to look like and has made specific design decisions.

However, when the game and editor comes out, you should make your own level with the style you've just described.  It would be very unique and people would probably enjoy it a lot.  It seems to me that regardless of whatever design decisions Nifflas has made for the main game, we who will be able to make our own levels will have the option of making other choices (e.g. we could still blur some of the layers of photos like in Saira for our own levels, even if Nifflas didn't do it in his.)  I too am excited for the game and editor to come out as I also have lots of level design ideas.  (For example, you mentioned that when photos are used for backgrounds, the lighting angles don't match.  But I think that's entirely up to the level designer.  I'm looking forward to trying to achieve specific lighting effects by the way I arrange different photos relative to each other.  :))

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 06:25:49 »
I honestly can't see how you could make a game using that style and have any sort of moving background features, which I assume this has, without them looking weird. Like some waving branches. If they were static on the background and everything was painting-looking it would be fine. But if they moved there would be no way the edges would look right with the rest of the scenery because they wouldn't blend with everything else like they would in a static image.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2011, 13:09:20 »
I'm not a fan of your suggestion, Ratone. It sacrifices too much in terms of functionality. I hope you are able to come to terms with the current visual style, as I don't imagine it will change...

However, as back seat astronaut said, I wouldn't mind seeing something done with this style in mind from the onset. I just don't think it can work as a filter, or as something retroactively applied to graphics that have already been very carefully tuned.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 14:01:56 »
Well, I'll say I think it looks cool, but it would be hard to integrate a knytt/ball into such a game play without modifying the way it looks as well, perhaps even their mechanics.  I can imagine a filter in front of the character which actively applies such effects to it as it moves, making a kind of moving paint effect.  That would be freaking cool.  However, any of that would require programing I doubt Nifflas would go for.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 17:14:39 »
Not only would it be hard to implement, I wonder how much such an effect would be an impact on the performance. If you had this kind of graphics as base, it would probably work, but applying a filter or effect afterwards will probably greatly impact on the performance, making the gameplay slow as every frame must undergo the effect, which by itself could cause for unwanted side effects, like not being able to clearly see what areas you can pass through and which are blocking you (background can become indistinguishable from the foreground at places where you need to see where exactly you can go and can't.)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 20:48:19 »
Well, most of all, I like how KnyttWaDF look a whole lot better than the filtered images that trades the detail for some virtual brush strokes. If I can not see a problem, it's quite hard to fix it, and as a lot of people (even some design people who's stuff I really like) think the graphics look beautiful and non-rushed I see no reason to change for anyone else's sake. Of course everybody won't like it, but that's how it always is.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 20:51:53 by Nifflas »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 00:01:50 »
Apparently Nifflas gave an interview to Destructoid a while ago. I have just found them. You can see some footage of this new game on the first part. Not much new besides that, though. Still, I hope you enjoy it! ;)

Part 1: http://youtu.be/mMBW9FDs-oQ
Part 2: http://youtu.be/V0eCUvBfjpI
Part 3: http://youtu.be/86-2qCAvvGQ

Offline mato

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 01:05:02 »
Wow that looks great, much much better in motion than in stills. Photos blend very nicely and the colors are smooth.

Btw the footage can be seen around the 6th minute.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 03:13:16 »
Oh my, that looks splendid. The gameplay looks really smooth. Also, I like the water effects. Also, the beard is looking well.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 04:01:44 »
Haha, my beard oscillates like an up sawtooth wave at a frequency of around ~0.0000001hz.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:03:46 by Nifflas »

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 01:19:17 »
the game looks really nice in motion. I think I will like this game! nice interview as well.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 03:20:54 »
Wow, I agree with everyone that the game looks awesome on motion!  :D  The level editor looks great too.  I was curious how much control we'll have over the movement of the objects, and I'm glad to see how flexible it looks.  I can't wait to start making a level for this game.

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• The number you have dialed is no longer in service
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2011, 22:56:08 »
Hurray!
A new Knytt game!
Not that your latest games such as NightSky and Saira are bad or something, it's just that I personally enjoyed the Knytt series and Within A Deep Forest much more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2011, 12:28:03 »
It'll use the same water shader, but the game won't have the same quantity of water since there's no swimming in the game. TGW is a lot about swimming while KnyttWaDF is about other things.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2011, 01:39:02 »
Apparently Nifflas gave an interview to Destructoid a while ago. I have just found them. You can see some footage of this new game on the first part. Not much new besides that, though. Still, I hope you enjoy it! ;)

Part 1: http://youtu.be/mMBW9FDs-oQ
Part 2: http://youtu.be/V0eCUvBfjpI
Part 3: http://youtu.be/86-2qCAvvGQ
Thanks for finding that. I don't understand the names of games (or a single game with a long name) Nifflas calls answering question about La Mulana at 6:44 in part 2. What is that game?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:24:55 by GrayFace »