[Environmental][Easy][Small] Ayo

• 19 Replies

Offline oskop

• View Profile
[Environmental][Easy][Small] Ayo
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:01:19 »
Ayo is a very short, very linear environmental that's not particularly beautiful or pleasant.

Download it here.

Screens:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Environmental][Easy][Small] Ayo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:27:38 »
It was very nice! I liked the underground parts best, particularly the white water area, which was very, very beautiful. You definitely have a talent for environmentals! :)

There is a problem with the last screen though, the tiles at the left edge of the screen aren't on layer 3, so running into the screen from the left means plunging into a void :(

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:59:19 »
This is quite good! A very striking level. It presents some images I don't see too often in Knytt Stories.

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 23:03:18 »
Thanks guys! I was afraid it would be to bare to appeal to anyone.

yohji, thanks for the heads up, I'll fix and reupload it soon.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:27:10 »
I can't believe more people aren't replying :( Must be a bad time for KS...

Also, I was wondering if you considered expanding the level? Or perhaps making a sequel, e.g. similarly linear but different areas, or the same but in different, ah, light? Time of day? That would be awesome.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 18:28:49 »
ooh, I love linearity because then I don't have to worry about missing anything of the beauty! and I also love simplicity, so this is just perfect. well, aside from that wallswim thing mentioned. :P
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 19:53:29 »
Sorry, I played this level back when you released it but forgot to reply. I really liked the visual impression of the level, especially the surreal white waterfalls against the black world.

On the whole, I don't tend to go for environmental levels but the length of this one was about right for me. I got to enjoy the scenery without having long enough to get bored by the lack of challenges. Like a pretty poem, or short story, of a level  :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Ayo [Environmental][Easy][Small]
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:34:41 »
I finally got around to playing this. It's quite nice. The visual transitions from screen to screen and tileset to tile set are excellent. The Andersson-Nurykabe combination screens are a surprisingly good mix of tiles. Who knew those guys could play well together?

Now I'm going to nitpick, but only because I think the level's nearly perfect.
  • It's a little quiet at times. Did you use ambient sounds? The quietest cave-wind would make a big difference.
  • The "You Win" at the end was a little abrupt. I'd prefer to see Juni say something like she did at the beginning, "home at last. tomorrow I'll check the machine again."
  • SGE top right corner of screen x1012y1001.
  • One transition from x1012y1000 to x1013y1000 didn't feel right.
  • The level name is Gabbo in level selection. You should change that to Ayo in the world.ini
  • I fell in the same void mentioned by Yohji. I didn't check for an update before playing so this may be fixed already.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 17:35:27 »
Hm, I have to say, this level starts out boring, with the first few screens being really hm I don't know, they don't leave an impression on me. But the later areas they have quite an eerie feeling to them and look interesting. I like the later part, the music and the nice walk under the stars of the night sky home, it is really beautiful I have to say. I liked the level overall. One bug I have to point out, when you go towards your house, the first tile will let you fall through, you can jump over that but it was annoying, and I fell twice through the voiiiiiid *~*  .

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:19:24 »
Hey folks! Thank you sooo much for the positive feedback! I posted with only minimal info because I was curious how people who would react to such a linear, non-game of a level, and I'm really please that you've responded well to it, in particular to the look -- I did try to work with simple elements well, and I hope it payed off. I understand the final screen is sort of anticlimatic but it's part of the level concept in a way, so it was important for me for it not to be too polished. I did the whole level in a strange beast of a mood and it's been a pleasant surprise to see some appreciation.

About the one major obvious flaw: yeah, I played through the level over and over again before posting and didn't notice it, I'm sorry. I haven't corrected and reuploaded it because I've been for some time now on a computer I'm not authorized to install programs in -- which means no Editor, which means no correction. Sorry about that.

Semeurim

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 16:24:18 »
Bwahaha.

You clearly have talent! Keep up the good work, and I'm sure you'll become a fantastic creator of levels in your own right.

I didn't really notice any errors. The first segment was rather bland, but the rest of the level made up for it.
Personally, I think the whole level was put together well (and could have benefited from greater length ;P). Keep up the good work; don't make any more voids and you'll be just fine. :3

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• The number you have dialed is no longer in service
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:33 »
Sorry to be such a buzzkiller, but I don't see why is this level considered as "good". It is "decent" at best. It's just a linear walk through several screens.
I know that's the point of environmental levels, but Ayo isn't even interesting to look at. The first and last few levels are totally bland, and while the "cave" screens look nicer compared to the rest of the level, I really don't see a reason to create a whole level just to showcase them.

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 01:12:08 »
YellowDuck, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this.

Anyone else who enjoyed the level, just a heads up that I've uploaded a fixed version of the level, if anyone wants to play it some time.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:39:10 »
Download link;
Ayo (Fixed) by Oskop

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 17:52:05 »
How did this topic manage to get another reply? Why do we act like the level's been released yesterday?