[Environmental/Easy] Kera

• 23 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
[Environmental/Easy] Kera
« on: January 24, 2011, 15:02:17 »
So after months of not caring about this, I finished it. Sort of.
I just wanted to release the level, so I kind of rushed it. Not happy about it, though.
This turned out to be far from what I expected, but I hope someone will give me some feedback on this so I know if I should make a new, longer and better version, because this one just ended up not making any sense.

Here are some screens of the early versions:
http://img339.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=14294628.png

The final version looks quite different.

I created the simple tilesets, and also made some animated objects, check them out.

DOWNLOAD

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Environmental/Easy] Kera
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 17:38:05 »
First and foremost, don't advertise your levels like that. People won't be inspired to play your level if they read you are not happy about it and that it doesn't make any sense.

That said, the level shows absolutely terrific potential. Those COs are perfect, the visuals are perfect, all the hard work that must've went into this sure paid off. The dialogue was nice and funny. The settings were very realistic. That night sky you made is just beautiful, and made me want to see more of that strange place. Those homes in sepia colors were very fitting, too, and the entire landscape had a good atmosphere. I really enjoyed this and hope you'll make a sequel, or perhaps an expanded version?

The problems I noticed were:
 - somewhat poor balance between exploration and plot/dialogues; but this is definitely due to the unfinished nature of the level
 - when you go to Quners' house to learn how to climb, the child's text isn't set
 - the blond woman CO; just personal opinion here
 - the passages inside rocks - they were intuitive, but not very convincing as passages

All in all, this is a terrific job, and you should most definitely believe in yourself a bit more, and expand this into something bigger :) And I'm pretty sure you'd come up with good results if you just continue adding area after area the way you did here. If you want pointers on how to develop stories and levels, you could check the KS Round Robin thread in Collaborations, and learn from the recent discussions there perhaps. Good luck!

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 17:44:24 »
You have no idea how happy you just made me with that post. Thank you :)

I actually think that one post is enough for me to do a new level, I'll probably extend it isntead of makeing a new one.

EDIT: Also, I don't think I should take credit for that night sky. I'm pretty sure I just took an existing background and changed the colour and added a gradient. But I can't really remember that very well...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 18:22:03 by Raicuparta »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 19:25:44 »
You're welcome :) Also, I do hope my reply won't be the only one, people seriously need to check out those COs.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 19:53:00 »
Well, I play them all especially since level making has come to a slow crawl.

I agree with Yohji. You're too hard on yourself! As I've said countless times here in the forum, I'm not a level maker but I know what I like. The CO's are really kewl.

You have some really good potential and should continue. I thought what dialogue you had was funny. Made me laugh a couple of times.

I just wanted more!

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 20:08:58 »
In agreement with Yohji and lamar on this, that's a very impressive level. I really like the visual style and the CO work is exemplary, some of the best I've seen.

A few issues (as expected in an unfinished level) but nothing major. I sincerely hope you stick with it, I'm really looking forward to what else you might produce.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 22:30:42 »
I am working on the level at the moment, thank you for the feedback.
Not only will I be adding new areas (that is, different themed areas), but I'm also extending the existing areas. This is to avoid the game being 50% dialog.
Also, I'll probably rework the story, because there pretty much wasn't any atm.

The reason I was so pessimistic about it was because I started doing the level just for the story, then I got bored and didn't even get the time to work on that, because I put a lot of work into the tilesets and COs. I never thought the visuals would be what people liked the most about this, I'm really happy with everyone's feedback.

Offline SingingSurger

• Dang, I get my shirt stretched out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:50:59 »
I beat it quite quickly. I can don't have many complaints, but pretty much the only thing that is worth mention is that I see how you tried to put in some humor, but it wasn't great. Anyway, I really can't wait for the sequel, because I think you're great at COs (kind of) and that you have the amazing ability to make stuff.
Good luck, son.
Ah, look at all the lonely people.

Offline Paranoid

• I'm a nuclear powered robot.. FROM THE FUTURE! :3
    • View Profile
    • My Favorite Song.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 20:47:54 »
Beautiful, fun, and witty. The humor was spot-on, the level design was great, and the visuals were stunning.
I'm looking forward to seeing you finish this completely! :^^:

Good luck in your future stories, and may the Nifflas be with you.  :P

EDIT:
Forgive me for asking, but I couldn't help but notice a few name references to a certain Kenneth Oppel series. A few, mostly. But it's still alot. Forgive me, just my nerd-o-factor kicking in. Wait, is that a Star Wars reference? How scandalous! *snort*
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 20:57:43 by Paranoid »
Whrrrrr ....

My Knytt Levels:
Eos [WIP]
VR [Remake IP, WIP]
The Lobby [KSO-Specific, WIP]

First one to use AClockworkLemon's FiNCK Forum Theme (Which looks ah-some!)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 00:35:23 »
Beautiful, fun, and witty. The humor was spot-on, the level design was great, and the visuals were stunning.
I'm looking forward to seeing you finish this completely! :^^:

Good luck in your future stories, and may the Nifflas be with you.  :P

EDIT:
Forgive me for asking, but I couldn't help but notice a few name references to a certain Kenneth Oppel series. A few, mostly. But it's still alot. Forgive me, just my nerd-o-factor kicking in. Wait, is that a Star Wars reference? How scandalous! *snort*
Thank you very much, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 09:52:50 »
I thought this was a great level. I enjoy this silohette style so this level was great visually. The game play wasn't 100% but you made up for it by making every screen really attractive. Looks like you've got a lot of potential with future levels.

Offline Artix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 23:09:42 »
I enjoyed this level, The CO's were very well designed.

I did find a few voids and errors, and I somehow went through the cutscene with Marina again after I talked to the Quners. Might want to check that out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 23:11:32 by Artix »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 05:54:47 »
Good work. The graphics are pretty. The story is intriguing. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 17:23:31 »
Wow, really nice level their, dude. I personally have to admit, I don't like the style it is done in, because I personally get always so depressed with not-so happy design, but it doesn't change the fact, that it looked pretty good all in all, it is just something personal. Other than that, I don't think there was bad story or something. The story even had potential on which you could've expandd, hope you do... and BTW... sorry for asking, but everybody talks about them, what are COs?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:05 »
@ TennyJaden: CO = custom object; an animated image that is not part of the default program. About a third of the people in this level are custom. So are the cows, the mill, and probably more things I can't think of right now.