Please help. I can't get Knytt Stories 1.2.1 to run.

• 4 Replies
Please help. I can't get Knytt Stories 1.2.1 to run.
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:00:54 »
I've been a happy Knytt fan for several years. I don't remember having any problems when I first installed version 1.2.1. Recently, I got a new computer.  I unzipped the version 1.2.1 file and copied/pasted the Knytt Stories folder to my Program Files folder. Now, when I double-click the executable, Knytt Stories.exe, I see the hourglass for one second. Then nothing happens. I've searched and searched for a solution to my problem with no luck. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or give me suggestions please?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Please help. I can't get Knytt Stories 1.2.1 to run.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:11 »
You probably also have a new Operating System? Like Vista or Win7?

The program files directory could be the problem, due to insufficient rights.

Have you tried running the game as administrator?

It can also be that something went wrong during the copying. Does it work in another directory? Can you perhaps try to redownload and play the game fresh?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 15:41:43 »
The computer is new for me, but not a new system. For now, I'm running the same OS, Windows XP.

I have administrator rights.

I've redownloaded and extracted the files into other directories.

I'm using the same security suite, from my isp provider. It lists knytt stories.exe as a game executable with permission "allowed".

Also, I can run the version 1.0.4 installer and play it without problem. It is currently uninstalled.

Thanks for all the great suggestions LPChip. Any others will be greatly welcomed.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 00:49:09 »
After much trial and error, I have learned that my isp’s security suite, although it IS NOT blocking “knytt stories.exe”, IS blocking an executable file, “stdrt.exe”, which I ignored because I didn’t know it was possibly related to KS.

I’m unsure if “knytt stories.exe” creates or uses this file. All I know about it is what I’ve read on the following three web pages (see below), one of which is a Knytt forum page. Two other links I found pointed to the old forum which, of course, is no longer accessible.

Does anyone know more about this file? Is it safe? It would be nice if this thread could help prevent others from spending as much time as I have searching for the reason I couldn’t get my Knytt fix. :crazy:

"THANK YOU" to all who read this and may have spent time thinking about a solution!

http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2853.0
LB wrote:  "stdrt.exe" is the internal filename for all applications made with TGF2/MMF2 from Click team.

http://www.rlslog.net/nightsky-vace/
W wrote:  NightSky.exe is infected – when you try to start the game it creates stdrt.exe file and process, which is classified as trojan/backdoor and automatically removed by norton.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?threaded=1&v=YpnGL3ggGFk
Ickius wrote:  Good video however Knytt Story creates two processes, the one you saw (Knytt Stories.exe) seems to be some kind of launcher for stdrt.exe (which uses a pretty standard amount of memory for a game)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:39:53 »
It's fine, and required for Knytt Stories to run. Unblocking it should resolve your issue.