[Puzzle/Challenge, Small, Normal] Aperture Science

• 19 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
[Puzzle/Challenge, Small, Normal] Aperture Science
« on: October 24, 2011, 23:01:01 »
This level is a very small tribute to one of my favorite video games, Portal.
It takes place in a very special type of Enrichment Center, design to prove the existence of very small intelligent beings.

[ Download ]

I didn't test it as much as I wanted to, so there are probably some bugs. Also I kinda rushed it in the end, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 22:02:55 by Raicuparta »

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: [Puzzle/Challenge, Small, Normal] Apperture Science
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 16:28:49 »
A really interesting level! Puzzle levels are quite rare, so it's nice to see one once in a while. The comedy aspect was nice, and I feel you caught the feeling of "Portal" quite well :)

I would personally clasify this level as "hard" as there were several sections where I felt frustrated to the point of almost giving up (though I'm terrible at games, so take that as you will :P2)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 16:32:09 »
I would personally clasify this level as "hard" as there were several sections where I felt frustrated to the point of almost giving up (though I'm terrible at games, so take that as you will :P2)
Yeah, maybe I'll change that, there were some jumps I thought about changing because if it were me, I would give up (I'm probably worse than you lol).

And thanks ;)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 17:41:41 »
There's a typo:

In the first room with the button, it says: duzen. Its dozen.

EDIT: and I found a bug aka wallswim.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 20:11:42 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 15:36:32 »
Liked it a lot. The only thing missing is music.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 17:11:26 »
Liked it a lot. The only thing missing is music.
Yup. I was going to add music from the Portal 2 soundtrack, as the soundtrack is free, but even being free I thought there could be an issue with using it.

And thanks.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 15:05:08 »
A cute little level. Very much in the spirit of The Room ov Death and other levels like that; well executed. I couldn't get past the secret technology room, where you can only climb little purple patches - of the three final patches, the first one landed me on a platform that made the previously solid platform not solid, and there was no way to get anywhere from the next purple patch. Didn't try looking at the level with the editor, but it seemed like any area would change with various shifts according to the player's position; which seemed like a strange design decision in rooms without buttons and/or levers. Sorry if I'm wrong; just can't run the editor right now.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 15:28:26 »
A cute little level. Very much in the spirit of The Room ov Death and other levels like that; well executed. I couldn't get past the secret technology room, where you can only climb little purple patches - of the three final patches, the first one landed me on a platform that made the previously solid platform not solid, and there was no way to get anywhere from the next purple patch. Didn't try looking at the level with the editor, but it seemed like any area would change with various shifts according to the player's position; which seemed like a strange design decision in rooms without buttons and/or levers. Sorry if I'm wrong; just can't run the editor right now.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 15:36:33 by Raicuparta »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 16:07:09 »
EDIT:

That's brilliant actually, a terrific use of that jump. I've completed the level and loved the endings  :)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 16:30:02 »
That's brilliant actually, a terrific use of that jump. I've completed the level and loved the endings  :)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 16:32:25 by Raicuparta »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 16:39:13 »
That's brilliant actually, a terrific use of that jump. I've completed the level and loved the endings  :)

Uh no.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 17:08:59 »
I don't know why that happens, some times shifts don't trigger on a fall. Is there something I can do about it?
Also some of the shifts will make Juni stop and start falling again (you can hear the sound of a step) and some of them just make her keep falling non-stop. Not sure if there is a way to fix any of these issues.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 19:22:41 »
I don't know why that happens, some times shifts don't trigger on a fall. Is there something I can do about it?
Also some of the shifts will make Juni stop and start falling again (you can hear the sound of a step) and some of them just make her keep falling non-stop. Not sure if there is a way to fix any of these issues.

What kind of shift animation do you use? Even if you set the shift as hidden, there's a shift animation played for the mask. If you set the start one, that can explain this behavor. Try another one, the bigger the better. Also you might want to try center the player in the middle, just to be sure.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 20:02:24 »
What kind of shift animation do you use? Even if you set the shift as hidden, there's a shift animation played for the mask. If you set the start one, that can explain this behavor. Try another one, the bigger the better. Also you might want to try center the player in the middle, just to be sure.
Not sure what you mean by shift animation, I guess it's the "shift type". I tried changing it to square but I can't really test this because the bug doesn't allways happen. But everything seems to happen exactly the same way. And I set it to center to prevent wallswim.

Uploaded an updated version, no need to go through it again if already played. Changelog, with spoilers:

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 14:33:35 »
Wow, indeed another ending.

Here's the deal with steps sound on shifts: when you go to a new screen, the screen is cleared and filled with new stuff, but MMF2 postpones it all until the end of frame. So, checking for collision still operates on the old screen. To avoid the sound problems you should make the position to which player is shifted non-solid not only on the screen to which the player is shifted, but also on one in which the player triggers the shift.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 14:46:19 by GrayFace »