[Small/Hard/Challenge]Do Not Pick Up The Key

• 9 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
[Small/Hard/Challenge]Do Not Pick Up The Key
« on: December 18, 2011, 13:34:43 »
I'm feeling uninspired for the epic right now (I'll get to it eventually; don't weep too hard, Jetio) so for the last month or so I've been working on a small level called 'Do Not Pick Up The Key'. I'm aiming the difficulty at the slightly tougher side of 'hard', similar to the easier mode of 'The Greying Tower'.

The original concept probably found its origins in the online game 'You Have To Burn The Rope' (if you haven't played it, do so at your first convenience, with the volume up high and the lights low). But for gameplay and design they don't bear much similarity (mine is perhaps a little bit longer, for example).

Currently I have 3 of the 4-and-a-half areas done (the last one is short hence half), and uses some custom tilesets I originally made for other levels I haven't yet released (the metal in the first screenshot below will reappear in the last area of 'I Dreamed of the Sky'). I need to make intro and ending cutscenes and harangue the friend who said he'd help me a bit with music.
I expect I'll ask for a playtester or two when everything's in the right place.

The thing to remember about this level is that there's one very, very simple instruction to follow, and as long as you follow it, you'll win the level. Only thing is I can't remember what that instruction is right now... Oh well, I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 13:38:48 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Small/Hard/Challenge]Do Not Pick Up The Key
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 18:07:15 »
It looks very amusing.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 02:50:48 »
I will playtest when you want!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 16:21:08 »
Tra la la, using Spooky Forest Winter Edition...

Tra la la, need to draw a well...

(If computer games have taught me anything it's that its always a good idea to jump down wells at every opportunity. I see it as a duty to spread this message to as many people as possible.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 17:56:56 by Talps »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:38:14 »
Apologies for double-post, but I'm here to announce that the level is now all-but-finished. I need to make the intro and exit cutscenes, which I intend to do tomorrow, but all the screens are made, all the tilesets are (more or less) finished, and generally everything contains an alluring portion of hunky and a generous dollop of dory.

Since we're at the point of all-but-completion, I will now be advertising for beta-testers.

It's only a week since Peppy volunteered so I'll assume he(?) hasn't fallen into a hole or anything and is still willing. But one or two more would be welcome, too.

Oh, and I still need to harangue that friend who said he'd help me with the music.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:28:58 by Talps »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:29:53 »
I'll volunteer for beta testing, provided you don't think I went too far the last time I did so.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 16:32:02 »
Really good criticism is so hard to come by! You're extremely hired! (As soon as I get the last few things sorted.)

I'd still like one more person, if anyone's interested.
I think this is a bad week to be asking this :P

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 19:47:06 »
You should just count me in to test any of your levels.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 16:25:17 »
Peppyhare, Sergio and Jetio, you guys are all officially beta-testers. PMs will be with you shortly.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:42:52 »