[Challenge/Size:Med/Dif:Normal to Hard] Run the Gauntlet: Part 1

• 32 Replies

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
After a month or so of work, it's finally ready!  C)p

This here is the next part to Run the Gauntlet: Prologue.

It's bigger and better than any other level I've made yet.

It features:
-6 of my own custom objects.
-4 of my own custom tilesets.
-2 secret areas.
-1 custom enemy.
-And one custom song played by me!

Well, what are you doing reading this still? Go! Download! Run the Gauntlet!!!!

Important Note: You will need KS Ex for Part 1 to work 100%. You can find it here
You can play the level without KS Ex, just the final area won't have a very cool custom enemy I made.

Oh, right. You'll want to play the Prologue before you play this level.
Run the Gauntlet : Prologue
Run the Gauntlet : Part 1

Enjoy!!

Spoiler: Update History (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:30:24 by LordMarzog »
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Challenge/Size:Med/Dif:Normal to Hard] Run the Gauntlet: Part 1
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 17:48:51 »
Really nice. I like how it's still about running the gauntlet. I hope you continue (and complete) the series. Only found one hidden area. Are there more?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 18:15:38 »
Very good :)
I still find the text a bit anoying, if it were only on cutscenes I wouldn't mind, but there were a lot of text boxes throughout the playable screens.
Still, the story is really interesting, I'm looking forward to the next part.
Theres one thing though, maybe you should have a little more faith in the player. By that I mean, don't give us all the answers right away, let us think and explore a bit.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 19:52:31 »
Really nice. I like how it's still about running the gauntlet. I hope you continue (and complete) the series. Only found one hidden area. Are there more?

I plan on starting the next part rather soon. Once school starts next week, I'll wait until I get into the swing of things before I begin another level project. Yes, there are more secret areas. The "secret" area that you have to find in order to proceed
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
I don't reall consider a secret since you have to find it.

But the 2 real secret areas area hidden elsewhere. One is easier than the other to find. One is rather, counter-intuitive.

Glad you liked it  :)
Very good :)
I still find the text a bit anoying, if it were only on cutscenes I wouldn't mind, but there were a lot of text boxes throughout the playable screens.
Still, the story is really interesting, I'm looking forward to the next part.
Theres one thing though, maybe you should have a little more faith in the player. By that I mean, don't give us all the answers right away, let us think and explore a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if I was leading the player around by the nose too much. I guess I got too caught up in wanting the player to think exactly what I wanted.

I will definitely keep your feedback in mind for my next project.
Thanks for playing  8)
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 22:46:43 »
Haven't played the prologue before, so I just played that, and then this level. I'm impressed! A lot of great work on custom tileset stuff here, gameplay was quite engaging, and the story interesting. I'm looking forward to the next installment!

If you want criticism, though, here's some. It's always nice to have many different environments in a level, and while you certainly had all kinds of areas - busy ones, empty ones, linear, non-linear, etc. - running around the same tileset all the time becomes a bit tiring.

That said, I enjoyed the level very much. I didn't think dialogue boxes ruined the dynamics - they were very nice, and you have a great sense of humor. I laughed a lot :D And it was great to find all the little details you've worked on - the flashing lights, SFX stuff,.. So yeah, like I said, I'm very much looking forward to the next part in the series, or any other level you're working on  :)

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:00 »
I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said but, all the same, thankyou for both your levels. I didn't mind the limited visual style but I do tend to play more challenge levels than environmentals, so maybe I'm just very tolerant  :^^:

I am excited to hear that I missed one of the secrets.
Spoiler: a really major one (click to show/hide)
I thought I'd been everywhere I could, though... I'll have to replay it and hunt around a bit more  C)

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 00:03:58 »
If you want criticism, though, here's some. It's always nice to have many different environments in a level, and while you certainly had all kinds of areas - busy ones, empty ones, linear, non-linear, etc. - running around the same tileset all the time becomes a bit tiring.

I figured that the tileset would get rather tiring. But it does serve a small purpose. Like you said, you were glad to leave the facility just like Juni said she was. Thus, I get the player to relate to Juni on a deeper level :P However, for the next part, I will definitely be using a bigger variety of tilesets because even I was getting tired of looking at that concrete  X)

Glad you enjoyed it though! Thanks for the feedback as well. Without such feedback, I wouldn't know how to improve.

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said but, all the same, thankyou for both your levels. I didn't mind the limited visual style but I do tend to play more challenge levels than environmentals, so maybe I'm just very tolerant  :^^:

I am excited to hear that I missed one of the secrets.
Spoiler: a really major one (click to show/hide)
I thought I'd been everywhere I could, though... I'll have to replay it and hunt around a bit more  C)
You're very welcome!  :^^: And yes there is one more secret hidden somewhere.  :shifty:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 21:59:37 »
Thus, I get the player to relate to Juni on a deeper level :P

Haha, yeah, that does indeed work extremely well  :D

However, for the next part, I will definitely be using a bigger variety of tilesets because even I was getting tired of looking at that concrete  X)

Man, I wonder how you're going to expand that storyline. Seemed very much complete to me.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 23:14:35 »
Man, I wonder how you're going to expand that storyline. Seemed very much complete to me.

That was the idea really. I wanted to give the level an ending that would suffice for a real ending, yet leave it open enough for me to add on to it.

Although, I must admit, trying to continue the storyline while sticking to the feel of "Run the Gauntlet" will be a challenge in and of itself. But I have a few ideas  :shifty:
Plus, with my discovery of being able to make custom enemies with KS Ex... Well, let's just say the next level could be rather...interesting hehehe

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:17:00 »
I've now played this and its predecessor and I'm very impressed. I liked the story and the amount of dialogue was just right for me. You've got quite a few typos, but that's not something that phases me too much.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 18:01:22 »
I've now played this and its predecessor and I'm very impressed. I liked the story and the amount of dialogue was just right for me. You've got quite a few typos, but that's not something that phases me too much.

Typos?!  O_o Oh dear... Mind telling me where they are so I can fix them in a future update? Thanks :)

To think...I was positive that I had double check my grammar in every sign and cutscene... guess I'll have to triple check next time  X-P
Glad you thought the dialogue was balanced properly.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 04:00:46 »
I looked through them for spelling errors and here is what I found:
Spoiler: spelling errors (click to show/hide)

This list ignores punctuation, capitalization, and similar errors that are too numerous to list. I'm considering them part of your poetic style because that's what most of them appear to be.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:37 »

This list ignores punctuation, capitalization, and similar errors that are too numerous to list. I'm considering them part of your poetic style because that's what most of them appear to be.

Ah geez. That is the mistake I make the most with writing. I think what I want to say, but forget to write one of the words -_- It doesn't help that Photoshop elements 2.0 has no spell check...

As for the other mistakes you mentioned, they might be part of my style. (Weird thing is, I have no problems with grammar in my writing classes)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 21:45:58 »
A mistake I kept seeing was punctuation around exclamations. You'd have something like "Wow." instead of "Wow!" or you'd have "Wow that's great!" instead of "Wow, that's great!" Although not grammatically correct, your versions could very well be how you intended the character to say them. Call it stream of consciousness and you can get away with anything punctuation wise. Just ask William Falkner.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 01:47:27 »