Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
[Scenic Challenge/Normal/Small] Tewniletes
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:46:00 »

Explore. Find the keys.

Download latest version

Spoiler: Download old version (click to show/hide)

This is a short environmental level with a few challenges. Most of them are quite easy but I chose "Normal" because there are some sections that could require several attempts. As it seems, I am very bad at judging what difficulty a level is, so if this doesn't seem correct, please say so.

I made this mostly to put a new tileset to use. The level has 5 tilesets: 4 of them are just basically the same tileset with some variations for different areas/themes, and an extra one for shared stuff and for lack of space in the others.
Features one custom track from Incompetech.com.

I am very happy with how it turned out, for a change. Still, some parts of the tilesets were a bit rushed but I really wanted to release this as soon as possible instead of delaying another level. I really hope everyone enjoys it.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are still quite a few voids/wallswims, every time I tested it I found some new problem, and I doubt I found them all, even in such a small level.

If you're curious about the name: I have no idea how I even came up with it. I named it back when this was just a level to test my tileset as I developed it, and I'm sure the name meant something, I just can't remember exactly what. I liked that the name was a mystery even to myself, so I kept it.

I'm OK with people using the tilesets for other Knytt Stories projects only, and if anyone uses it, I would like to know about it. Anything outside KS is not so OK so whoever wants to use it would have to contact me about it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 23:38:17 by Raicuparta »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Challenge] [Normal] [Small] Tewniletes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:21:08 »
Yay! Another level! Okay, this was pretty good, BUT:

It is way too hard to be classified as environmental. I'm not as big a stickler about this as other people might be, but as a good rule of thumb, if a level can be classified as Normal difficulty, then it probably can't be classified as an Environmental. A while back some folks on this forum came up with the label Scenic to describe environment-based levels with challenges; maybe you could look into using it in the future?

Also: while you've gotten better with the save points, I still think this needs just a few more.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I also found a minor bug on screen x1000y999 (possible to clip through the ground near save point; see screenshot) but other than that I didn't have any problems. I really liked the tilesets you used in this! I think my favorite might be
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Re: [Scenic Challenge/Normal/Small] Tewniletes
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:33 »
Thanks for the feedback, changed the title and fixed that bug, but I will only upload a new version if there are any critical bugs.
And oh dear God I forgot how much everyone complained about the lack of save points in Obey, should have paid more attention to it. I hope people can manage this time.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 14:41:40 »
bug: reached the x1000y997 void by gliding from x1002y996

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 14:23:53 »
You've got some very nice tileset work going on here! I liked everything, except maybe the trees in the snowy version - didn't look enough like snowy trees, to me. The cave area in particular worked beautifully for me. The level was fun to play, classic oldschool KS. And those little gems reminded me of Kyrandia 1, bringing back some nice memories.

I wish the music would change from area to area, or at least disappear here and there to give way to ambiance. Also, you've really lulled me into a false sense of security, with the music and the "environmental" bit that used to be up there in the title. Seriously, I've spent the first seconds rushing madly from screen to screen, trying to find a safe place  :D

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:14:51 »
That's nice. The tileset is really good.
Here's a SGE, a dog in the wall. I didn't like snow in the snowy version.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:53:11 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 23:41:57 »
I really liked the tilesets! The curves give everything such an organic feel and bring cohesion to the level, (despite the complete absence of transitions between areas.) I think this level will influence my own tileset making in the future.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 00:50:43 »
I really liked the tilesets! The curves give everything such an organic feel and bring cohesion to the level, (despite the complete absence of transitions between areas.) I think this level will influence my own tileset making in the future.
Just a heads up: rounded tilesets with outlines are a pain, and so are drop shadows when you use all the 3 background layers on most screens.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:52:27 »
If you're curious about the name: I have no idea how I even came up with it. I named it back when this was just a level to test my tileset as I developed it, and I'm sure the name meant something, I just can't remember exactly what. I liked that the name was a mystery even to myself, so I kept it.

The name appears to be an anagram of "new tile set."

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:09 »
The name appears to be an anagram of "new tile set."
Holy crap. I should give you money.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:40:00 »
That was a fun, pretty little thing. One of the best little levels we've had for a while! I did like the tilesets; they're very pretty (and I'm kind of wondering if you're keeping them for yourself or allowing others to use them). The challenges were good, occasionally challenging but never annoying, and mostly encouraging the player to slow down and think their way past.
The locks at the start gave a good air of mystery to pull you on, and the keys were never too hard to find, which is always a relief. And I liked the movents of the clouds and horizon from screen to screen.
I did get a void screen in the screen above the yellow key, by floating down from the pillar to the right of that. Also, it was a shame there was only one music track; it suited the desert and perhaps the country, but it was somewhat out of place in the cave and definitely was in the wintry area.

But in all it was a fun 10 minutes, so thanks!

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 12:52:50 »
Glad you liked it, Talps.
I'm OK with people using the tilesets for other Knytt Stories projects only, and if anyone uses it, I would like to know about it. Anything outside KS is not so OK so whoever wants to use it would have to contact me about it.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 19:10:39 »
[...] but I will only upload a new version if there are any critical bugs.

i wonder what bugs you'd consider critical. i'm waiting for a new version so that i could record a playthrough with a quiet mind

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 19:23:12 »
I should have been more clear, I meant that I wouldn't update it right away unless the bug was something that actually broke progression (not likely) or forced the player to Ctrl+R. This was to avoid a lot of versions uploaded to knyttlevels.
Now that some people have played it, I will update it as soon as possible.

By the way, did anyone happen to find the detector?

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 21:56:00 »
"By the way, did anyone happen to find the detector?"

No!  (frantically searching)

btw...really loved this level a lot.

*edit*  Well, when properly motivated one can do just about anything.  Found it.....huh?  what did you say? can't hear you...speak up!  hehehe... ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 22:04:38 by lamarblake »