[Very Hard/Challenge/Short] Upper Levels

• 12 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
[Very Hard/Challenge/Short] Upper Levels
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:45:06 »
I suppose this is my 'Monocromatica Grotta'.

This little level is actually a series of screens I originally made for the last quarter of 'I Dreamed of the Sky' but during testing I was told that they were too difficult, which surprised me because I didn't find them that hard; I guess I'm good with umbrella floating and laser timing. I didn't want to expunge them from existence, so while I made them easier in the level, I'm releasing the originals here!

If you're good with umbrellas and timing, you might have fun! If you're not, you might spend an hour on this and then rage-quit! Either way, it has some custom tilesets from 'I Dreamed', and an uplifting message at the end!  8D

Download me!

I'll take this moment to mention that 'I Dreamed' is nearly ready for the next stage of testing; one of the testers found two of the areas too dark so I need to change the gradient in one and edit the tileset of the other. And I'm not happy with the ending so I need to try out some different things there, but maybe I'll do that just for the final release. I'll try and get round to it this week, and then contact my beta testers.

Anyway, if you're feeling hardcore, play the level! If you're not, wait for the full version of 'I Dreamed of the Sky' and don't say you weren't warned!
Look out for the spinny red things (there's two).

I Dreamed of the Sky is now finished and released!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 18:56:16 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Very Hard/Challenge/Short] Upper Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 17:18:15 »
OK, I'm going to download this now, and play it after IDotS comes out. If I hate it, I'll come back and tell you then.  :)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 21:08:13 »
Took me a few moments to work out what 'IDotS' was there :P

It doesn't contain any story details; just two challenge sections artlessly merged together. But it's up to you. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 21:09:48 by Talps »

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 23:30:28 »
If you're good with umbrellas and timing, you might have fun!

I am, and I did have some fun. Nice little challenge, was the type of difficulty up my alley.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:00:29 »
Not incredibly difficult, but then again, I forced myself through SecretGlitch's Dark Sea 2, which is much MUCH harder than this, so I may not be the best to represent the average player.

As for the level itself, it looks very interesting!  I wish I could have been around to volunteer for beta testing.  Guess I'll just have to wait for the level to be done!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:14 »
I gave this a try and it wasn't that bad. A few deaths from surprise setups but that was all.
Can't wait until the actual game is released...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:08:52 by PeppyHare4000 »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 06:37:27 »
I beat it so it's not even close to lunatic but it was pretty hard, very hard in a few spots for me, but I'm terrible. The fan animation was really cool.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:56:45 »
I tried making some smaller fans to go on the walls as background, but they looked worse than awful. I'm glad people are liking it. It was somewhat akin to heart-breaking having to make these sections easier for the final release. I guess the umbrella stuff is either something you're good at or something you aren't.

The next beta should hopefully go out to my testers soon - as soon as I've heard back from one of them about an issue he was having. has been sent to my testers. Then last edits before final release.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 20:40:15 by Talps »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:15:20 »
I died more than a few times, but had no problems. It was much easier than Do Not Pick Up The Key.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:17:18 »
I didn't hate it, but I have to agree that I Dreamed of the Sky is better without trials this difficult in it.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 15:31:42 »
I'd love if very hard difficulty level, like this, will unlock after beating IDotS :) Anyway, like egomassive said - was not that hard, but it's better that IDotS is easier, as more players will finish it.

Offline Sleem

• Ponies are cool..........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 17:53:59 »
It has been requested that I do this level on my yuotube channel. This has been accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0SgXLUEPiE&list=PLFevUHZMxhULUa89o-jcTMaLMGdSetbXB&index=1

Also, I hope you don't mind my act of necromancy.
Watch in awe as I end every comment I've ever written and ever will write with the most epic signature in the universe!!!!!!!!!

poop

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:03 »
No, I think you'll find they're my biggest fans!
Um, my tactic on the top of the wind tunnel was to go over the top and down between the two top blocks...
There are less spikes in the IDotS version...

Also, YOU ROCK!