[Challenge, Normal] The Tower of Lightning

• 24 Replies

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
[Challenge, Normal] The Tower of Lightning
« on: September 22, 2012, 15:23:40 »
Hello!  8D
It's finished! At last it's finished! It's a challenge level, and the goal is simple - get to the top of tower. Sometimes you'll have to leave the tower to get power up (Like climbing, or umbrella). Then come back and continue quest. It has a lot of custom tilesets, so it won't be boring  ;). Download, comment and rate. Remember, that this is my first level  :D. I'm very tired after that work so... See you later!
Update: The "normal" version has been updated (I added more savepoints, fixed voids etc.). Now, it's easier... I believe.

Info about versions: The "super easy version" is really super easy, but... there's no bonus areas and secrets! That's your choice...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 19:58:08 by ixMarcel »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge, Normal] The Tower of Lightning
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 18:14:34 »
This is Hard, not Normal. Maybe due to the bad positioning or lack of save points, and for using too many unpredictable enemies in hard to manage positions. Only played for a few minutes until I quit after dying too many times in one section, but I want to finish it eventually.

Offline ixMarcel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 18:21:17 »
It's hard? Well... Sorry guys!  :ohnoes: Maybe I will make easy version? Work, work, work... Ok it's finished!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 19:01:22 by ixMarcel »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 19:44:31 »
Did you remove the version I entitled Hard? Some people might want to play the harder version.
Anyway I am enjoying this and will post something about it soon ;)

Offline ixMarcel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 19:56:12 »
Did you remove the version I entitled Hard?
No. There's two versions: normal ("hard") and easy  C)p.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 20:17:48 »
Hi,
I would like to say that I like look of this level. However, I was not able to play it to the end because there were some mistakes, that spoiled all game and some enemies were really bad placed.
Then I tried to "cheat" through editor and find some more errors. Here is my list:
Going left from screen 1002/995 will loop you to the 1004/995. There is wallswim and it is impossible to jump onto
the blue platform (which is, in my opinion, little crowded with enemies) without double jump.
1005/995: projectiles of that grey monster (eb 24) are invisible on the white background so it is very hard to pass it. You
should also add more savepoints into this part - I had to play it 8 times until I obtained umbrella. It would bore everyone.
Wallswim between 988/995 and 988/996.
Jumping off the screen 990/992 and surrounding screens leads to void. I don't know if player is supposed to get there but after getting double jump is logical to go there.

How should player get to the cave with double jump without editor ?

Looking forward to new version.  :a1:

edit:
O.K. I've downloded easy version (it seems that you uploaded it just in the moment when I was posting this).
Some errors are still here:
Wallswim between 988/995 and 988/996.
Jumping off the screen 990/992 and surrounding screens leads to void. I don't know if player is supposed to get there but after getting double jump is logical to go there.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 20:28:36 by Polana »

Offline ixMarcel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 20:34:29 »
Thanks a lot Polana!!!  :D. I'm updating now. Sorry for troubles for everyone.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 19:55:27 »
I just played through the Normal version until I got to the Yellow key. So far, so fun. It's one of those games where you have 5 or 6 different monsters on one screen and you need to dodge them all.

Offline ixMarcel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 20:58:26 »
Can someone upload my levels to Knytt Stories Level Archive? If you can, first upload "normal" version, then "easy". If you can't upload "normal" version don't upload "easy", beacuse it doesn't make sense. If someone will help me, I will give him  :hiddenstar:  :nuts:!
PS: Upload newest versions from first post. They were updated today ;).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 15:28:33 by ixMarcel »

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:34:51 »
I just tried to upload your level but it didn't go. I'm not sure why. I am able to upload my own levels without any problem.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:15 »
Yeah, I tried it earlier aswell; also without success  :/

Offline ixMarcel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 19:29:15 »
Here's walkthrough.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 17:44:25 »
I played it. I only got one of the keys though.

It's pretty good for a first level, but there are a couple of things to mention. The umbrella/spike courses were definitely 'Very Hard'. There were times you were rewarded for exploring the outside of the tower and times you were punished for it (dropping down outside many of the higher areas sent you to a screen very low down).
And twice you misspelt my name as 'Tlaps', meaning you didn't actually give me credit for my work.

However, as I say it was quite good for a first level. I happen to be a fan of Very Hard umbrella puzzles and apart from one or two sections where it got rather annoying, I did enjoy doing most of them. Most of the areas were quite good and while this is definitely a Very Hard difficulty level, there were only a few screens that were annoying (areas where you get attacked as soon as walking into a screen, or at the end of a jump, say). There was also only one pop-out enemy without warning that I noticed, so that was good, too.

EDIT: Ok, I cheated to see the bonus. T! A! L! P! S! Not Tlaps! Tlaps is not my name! Three Four times!

*Goes to sit quietly for 10 minutes*

Ok, I'm calm. I was a bit annoyed by the water at the end of the secret area 'cus I'd gotten used to being safe by then and you hadn't given me back the run powerup back so I assumed it was safe, and I drowned. But it was a fairly original thing to do with a secret area, which I quite liked.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 17:54:57 by Talps »

Offline ixMarcel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 19:29:40 »
EDIT: Ok, I cheated to see the bonus. T! A! L! P! S! Not Tlaps! Tlaps is not my name! Three Four times!
Sorry Talps  :oops:. I realized that a few months ago when I was talking with my friend about Knytt. "Isn't he Talps Marcel?" - he said XD. Then I was like "Oh sh...  :shocked:". I will update "Tower of Lightning" as soon as possible. I had the same problem with Raicuparta (beacuse I was thinking, that he's Raicupatra). I'm such an idiot  :moody:. Anyway I'm glad you liked it a little bit. I didn't know that the blue key is hard to find...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 13:40:37 by ixMarcel »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 22:12:31 »
I thought it was pretty good overall, but there are a few issues that I'd like to bring up, in your latest version:

At x1000y999 and x1004y984, there are void screens.  The former is harmless, but the latter sends you careening into the space between spaces.

At x990y991, the chat box is empty.  Was that guy supposed to be saying something?

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I'll review your level, granted these are all dealt with appropriately.

I didn't know that the blue key is hard to find...

Probably because you didn't put the blue detect target boxes there.  Those usually indicate secrets to Knytt Stories players.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 22:16:09 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything