Intel HD 4000 graphics problem

• 15 Replies

Offline void

• View Profile
Intel HD 4000 graphics problem
« on: December 22, 2012, 22:46:35 »
I bought Knytt Underground and have been playing and enjoying it on my primary (desktop) computer. The game is beautiful.

On my laptop, however, with integrated graphics (HD 4000 chipset) and Windows 8, I see what's shown in the attached image, as well as a lot of flickering.  I've also attached the output of the dxdiag tool (I don't even know if you are using directx or opengl, but I hope it will give you details about the graphics hardware at least).   I have tried both windowed and full screen modes.  Is KU expected to be playable on this hardware?

I am having a great time playing on my desktop, so if the laptop is just not up to the challenge I won't be heartbroken.  But I imagine these intel integrated GPUs are pretty common, so I wanted to let you know about the compatibility issue.  If there's any way I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
Re: Intel HD 4000 graphics problem
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 23:36:57 »
Hi; I'm the developer of the desktop runtime.

I have an Intel HD4000 graphics card myself, and that seems to work fine. Are you sure you have the latest graphics driver installed? Maybe Windows 8 is falling back on it's DirectX emulation layer for OpenGL since you don't have drivers installed.

Offline void

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 22:09:09 »
Hi,

Installing the latest drivers from Intel did not resolve the problem.  Running the Realtek OpenGL Extensions Viewer, I get successful rendering tests and the following driver information:

Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Vendor: Intel
Memory: 1795 MB
Version: 4.0.0 - Build 9.17.10.2875
Shading language version: 4.00 - Build 9.17.10.2875

so it looks like OpenGL in general isn't broken.  Anything else you want me to try?

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 23:06:56 »
I also am having this problem.

I have an Asus Windows 8 laptop with 6gb of ram, and the processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz.

I don't know if that helped at all, or if there is anything else I can do to help with this, but I figured I'd mention it.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 13:39:43 »
It seems like this is a general issue on Windows 8 and Intel's integrated cards. Would it be possible to try the game on Windows 7? If not, try running the game through gDEBugger; that should tell us what the problem is.

Offline void

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 17:34:09 »
Mathias,

I can't reinstall my wife's laptop to try Windows 7 on the same hardware.  Since you say you have similar graphics hardware, have *you* tried the latest Intel drivers? Maybe the issue is something they've broken or changed recently, that's included in Windows 8 but not on your system?

I did try gdebugger for you.  I found the following:

1. The visual problem still occurs when running under gdebugger

2. There are no OpenGL errors ("break on error" doesn't do anything)

3. Setting the interactive mode to "Front interactive" before starting the game completely fixes the visual problem. gdebugger describes this option as "Force OpenGL to draw into the front color buffer and execute glFlush after each executed OpenGL command."  I selected it to try to get an idea of what was being drawn as I stepped through a frame.  It doesn't do that - I still can't see anything but the fully rendered frame - but it makes all the artifacts go away.

4. Similarly, if I leave the interactive mode as "Interactive break", and I step sufficiently far through the rendering of a frame using the debugger, that one frame renders correctly.  (e.g. if I "draw step" three times to the third glBegin call before "frame step")

5. Next I figured out that the reason I can't see partial results is that the game is rendering to an FBO.  I found the FBO in the textures viewer, but the rendering pipeline isn't flushed as I step, so I still can't easily see what's what (except in "front interactive" mode, where everything works perfectly).

It seems clear that many of the quads that are layered up to make the scene are being rendered without their textures, but I'm at a loss as to why.  The weird interactions with the debugger/glFlush might point to some kind of race or timing issue, but it doesn't look like the game is, for example, reading anything back from the output buffer.

I'm at a loss.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:34 »
I tried to run the gdebugger and I got that it had no error, although it is possible that I am not using gdebugger properly.  It worked on my old laptop, which was Windows 7, but now I got a new one with Windows 8.

Offline PLANET

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 14:47:07 »
I've got exactly the same problem... Only thing is... I'm running Windows 7. The GPU is dual, Intel 4000 and GeForce 650 (probably Intel will be running when running KU, but not sure, will try to force)... As for the rest of the specs - Intel i7-3610 and 8 GB of 1333 Mhz RAM.

(EDIT)
While writing this post, I forced the game to be run with the GeForce. The graphics are correct again (that also proves the game has issues with Intel!), but...
The whole game runs as if on steroids - too damn fast!
Is there no option for an FPS limit? Seems like it's more than needed right now.

By speaking "too fast"... I've played all of the earlier Nifflas' games - it seems like it works at least TWO times faster than any other or so..
Literally (about) 4 (FOUR) seconds or a bit less to pass the title screen (in Chapter Select) just holding right or left!
That shouldn't be so fast, am I right?

That is harder than some impossible levels in KS! : P

BTW, Intel also had such speed problems, only then the graphics made the game unplayable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 15:18:19 by PLANET »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 16:19:33 »
The speed is supposed to be like in most of the videos, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHLTS179Ct0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 16:22:03 by GrayFace »

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:21 »
PLANET, could you tell me what driver(s) you are using? You seem to have a similar setup to me, so I would be interested in knowing if I could reproduce the issue somehow.

Offline PLANET

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:01 »
Mathias: standard Intel drivers, version 9.17.10.2792. Probably not the latest ones... I'll try to update them today and will let You know if the works or not. Nothing more seems to be needed to be updated, methinks...

GrayFace: OMG :O - to put it shortly.
If that is supposed to be the intended speed, then I'm not a big fan of this solution... First time Nifflas made something that didn't suit my taste.. ruins the climate and the admiring of graphics (but maybe the world map is so huge.. when it would make sense a bit).
I was shocked with the speed since the first time I ran the demo, it was on a slow single-core CPU with only Intel GMA X4500 (Vista)... and it was as I expected, running too slow (especially with many light effects in the room which slowed the character significantly), but I didn't expect the full speed to be "on steroids mode" : P
Should've seen the trailer earlier, but I preferred just to download..

Oh well, if Nifflas incoporates the slow-mo into the game, as he did stated in one of the posts, I might as well get back to this game seriously and buy it, probably. Until then... I might try to get used to the speed, but I'm not sure how it will go. On a side note, even if I'm a bit above 30, I have quite nice reflexes, playing fast racing games and such... Tho platformers are a different kind of bread.

I've been playing Limbo last time, so maybe that's why it seems too fast for me.

With this of speed and kind of effects used (I've played a bit, found some achievements and so on), it would be probably good to be able to use mouse for the movement, too - just a thing that sprung to mind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:50:08 by PLANET »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:02:04 »
You can always walk slower by pressing the damp key.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 05:14:34 »
Bumping this because i'm having this problem aswell, and none of the suggestions have worked for me and i'm not sure how to fix it.. x.x;; bleh being unable to play sucks~

Windows 8 64 bit
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Radeon (TM) HD7670M

And ever since i installed Knytt underground whenever i start it up.. it's just looking all glitchy graphics like the first post with constant flickering..

Offline MikjoA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 00:34:38 »
I'm really enjoying Knytt, I bought it on my ps vita and I've just downloaded the Demo for my laptop.

But I have the very same problem as everyone describeb here.

And it is not related to windows 8 since I'm running on Windows 7 64 bit.

My specs :

i7 3612QM & intel HD 4000 with the latest drivers from intel download center, updating didn't help at all.

But it works well when as soon as I plug in my custom external GPU setup (GTX 670) since the intel HD 4000 no longer runs knytt.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 19:13:13 »
I switched to an older driver to test this, and I was able to reproduce it. It's almost definitely a bug in the Intel driver and their GLSL support. I'd highly advise you to upgrade to the newest non-OEM Intel drivers if you're having problems, as this will be tricky to work around otherwise.