[Challenge/Enviromental,Easy,Medium] Knytt Museum

• 16 Replies

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
[Challenge/Enviromental,Easy,Medium] Knytt Museum
« on: January 02, 2013, 13:33:40 »
So I made this level and I want someone to play it.I used all my Knytt Stories knowledge to make it and I think I used it well.

It invlolves around Juni going to the museum that is locked.You have  to find the yellow key to go in,so the first part is a little Metroidvania level,and the latter is the museum that contains stuff into 3 categories:People + Knytt,Baddies and Other.
There are descriptions on each museum screen that add to a comedic value.After you exit the museum,it's suddenly night and you gotta go back to your house.I used Moonsong from Cave Story,expirementing with custom music.

If anyone plays this,please tell me if you liked the Metroidvania part because it might evolve into another level.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Download here: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/MasterF%20-%20Knytt%20Museum.knytt.bin

Have Fun. :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 16:25:15 by MasterF »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Enviromental,Easy,Medium] Knytt Museum
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 15:53:55 »
Hitting the print screen button will copy a screenshot of your entire monitor to the clipboard;

Holding Alt while pressing print screen will copy a screenshot of the currently active window;

Once you've got the screenshot on the clipboard you can open any image editing software you like and paste it in from the menu bar or context menu.

If you need a more detailed guide, I can throw something together this evening (probably eight hours from now, or thereabout).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 15:56:13 by Widget »

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 16:08:13 »
Holding Alt while pressing print screen will copy a screenshot of the currently active window;
Thanks for that,quite useful.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 18:19:34 »
also, its tortured, not torrtured :P
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 19:10:30 »
also, its tortured, not torrtured :P
AGHHHHH,my tester doesn't know very good English so he Couldn't say anything about that.Dammit.

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 17:11:12 »
Funny level, especially the part with that guy and eye, hehe. :D

And if I were you I would labeled it small, not medium.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 17:21:46 by CWolvie »
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 12:10:29 »
Funny level, especially the part with that guy and eye, hehe. :D

And if I were you I would labeled it small, not medium.
I probably should,but I don't see that many mediums to know.I debated on that one and went with medium because there are many much shorter levels.
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 13:17:10 »
That still is not an excuse to go for medium. Many levels are wrongly qualified. The biggest problem is, that people want to play medium levels, they select yours and get disappointed due to the size, or others want only small levels and they don't find yours at all.

Also, Challenge does not go with Environmental. Environmental doesn't mean beauty. Environmental means its a level that is all about exploring without any kind of challenge. An enemy can be present for as long as its part of the scenery and can be avoided.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 17:05:28 »
It was not bad, some talks were really funny, but the red key hidden in the water is something you should avoid in your net level - it looks awful. However, gonna to play your net one.

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 18:38:07 »
@LPChip:You are completely right about your first point.Now,I had the enviromental part in the museum and I believe the Metroidvania part can be considered challenge.Next time I will make a solid level on that aspect*.

@Polana:Yeah,that is one of my two biggest visual flaws in the level;the other one being that the fire in the screen where you get the hologram maker is almost invisible(also,try visiting that room at night).Also,your X key is broken,right?Because "net" instead of "next" could be a term(e.g net profit)Thanks for the interest.

*Whoever liked it,please suggest what the next one should be based on the part of the level you liked(1st or 2nd half,easter eggs,dialogue etc.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 18:40:49 by MasterF »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 23:12:03 »
@LPChip:You are completely right about your first point.Now,I had the enviromental part in the museum and I believe the Metroidvania part can be considered challenge.Next time I will make a solid level on that aspect.

When labelling a level for difficulty, the accepted practice is to go with the difficulty of the most challenging part; so a level that would otherwise qualify as environmental but contains an unavoidable "impossible jump"* would be correctly labelled as a lunatic challenge.

Your decision to mark the level as challenge/environmental is understandable, in the circumstances, but due to being overused in this fashion environmental has become near-meaningless as a category :(

* An impossible jump refers to a particular trickjump which is considered (or maybe was considered... I'm not certain) to be of lunatic difficulty.

Edit: I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a hyper-critical, category-nazi. Without an agreed- and acted-upon set of absolute definitions for each category and difficulty potential-players have no way to select suitable levels. Those of us who're still active here aren't likely to give up outright but, when faced with a huge range of levels that are frequently labelled incorrectly, newer or more casual players might.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 23:22:08 by Widget »

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 15:17:59 »
No,you are totally right about it.I will try to categorize levels as they should be.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 02:11:09 »
I liked the challenge part of the level better than the museum part. There is not much in the museum besides rooms filled with objects --some of them behaving badly because of their small cages. Have you played Gaia? There is a big museum in Gaia which is the best museum I've seen in a level. It has interesting descriptions of the creatures and environments seen elsewhere in the world, as well as humorous statements from the other museum patrons. So, if you were to make another museum level, something along those lines should be more fun to walk through.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:20 »
I never managed to engage with Gaia in any meaningful way but I always liked the way The Great Race integrated it's "zoo" or "museum" section. It's been a while but, IIRC, it was in the earlier part of the level which helped with a smooth progression of difficulty, and included some basic platforming which helps it to feel more like part of a game as opposed to a pseudo-interactive textbook.

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 10:47:30 »
I 've played Gaia and pretty sure I have gotten all the endings,but I don't remember a big museum.There was one,but it just said some stories like the ones from An Underwater adventure,A Strange Dream,one that involves a giant lizard and someone in green clothes saving the day,etc. It was 2 screens.Maybe there's another one?I don't know.

The next level is most likely gonna be a simple challenge level,along the lines of Portal(what that means is maybe a dark story and lab-like visuals.

EDIT:Played The Great Race.Excellent level,and the story was executed very well.I am completely done with museums.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:46:19 by MasterF »