[Challenge / Small / Lunatic] Little Labyrinth

• 9 Replies

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
[Challenge / Small / Lunatic] Little Labyrinth
« on: June 26, 2013, 20:52:29 »
One teleporter took Juni to a very strange place. Can she get back?

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Download (click to show/hide)

I hope you will enjoy it!

Spoiler: Level History (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 19:59:15 by Comhon »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge / Small / Lunatic] Little Labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 23:48:51 »
I compressed the level for you and temporarily uploaded it to my box.com account. I'll take this link down once you've got it yourself.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:06:04 »
So, I played the level all the way through and I must say that I'm sorry that I didn't enjoy it very much.  A good bit of the challenges put into place turn out to be luck based.  The UFO thingy, the plant that spits out prickly things and such arn't really predictable things.  Also, I couldn't imagine what the level was like before you added more save points as the lack of save points and the placement of them are kind of annoying.  The level itself looks nice enough, though.
Teeeheee

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 01:23:16 »
I have to agree, that some of the challenges are luck based. It is a very long time when I released my last level, so maybe I'm not good in designing the levels as before. I didn't want to keep it on my hardrive unfinished.  I tried to make it more playable, than it was before.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 05:51:48 »
I liked it, and would have appreciated more length. I always like the idea of a central hub with different worlds to go to... although this had only one.

But I still have to agree with EarthBound, I felt like it was a 60/40 mix of skill vs. luck and the luck portions are more aggravating than rewarding. You had some unique challenges, though, like the sticky lasers or the glass balls with the revealing avoidance areas. These were both great ways to add tension to tired old mechanics. The randomly-bouncing spiky balls and the plant spitters killed me more than I would have liked, and a handful of extra save points would have meant the world. I'm okay with "random" challenges so long as the player gets to save just before and after them. A good rule of thumb is that there should be a savepoint on every screen.

Also, it took a little while to get the speed boost, and this is normally a bad thing, but I think it worked out in your level. I suspect some won't agree. Anyways, take a star, since I do feel somewhat accomplished for beating it.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 07:47:44 »
Thanks for your comment. The level was planned to have more worlds, bit after finished the first I released it. Si maybe in future I can make more and add them there. - If i will have zimě.
I can add more savpoints... I agreee there could be more. If you want, you can write here or PM me where they could ve.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:34:56 by Comhon »

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:52 »
I'm enjoying the level so far. The challenges are mostly fair, although the enemy on x1000y998 isn't very fair, as there's nothing a player coming from above can do to dodge. If he throws in the wrong way, you die or fall. IMO, this enemy should be removed.

I saw the arrow on x1005y996 and followed it. x1006y995 is unbeatable without the run powerup.

You will not escape justice for your crimes. Someday, I will hunt you down. (And force you to play Dark Sea 2.)
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 00:31:00 »
I finished it! I was not happy about the disappearing blocks on x1003y997, which killed me even when I knew they were there, nor about the surprise on x1011y998, which nearly gave me a heart attack. The surprise on x1003y996 is one of the dirtiest tricks I have ever seen, but fortunately I didn't fall for it.

There are way too many pixel-perfect jumps in this level. The one on x1003y996 is particularly infuriating, as it comes right after a screen full of random enemies. I have managed to make it exactly twice and in both cases I died immediately after clinging to the wall; in the end I had to use god mode to get across because I wasn't willing to put in another fifty tries at a jump my reflexes aren't quite up to making. It is not a fun challenge and I strongly recommend making the righthand platform taller. The aforementioned disappearing blocks could also stand to move up a row above the water.

I also had a problem getting stuck at the righthand edge of x1005y995. Despite jumping, I frequently failed to move forward at all (with and without the run power), trapping me on the last laser. Removing the noclimb block to make the passage higher would be a lot more fair.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:42:05 »
It was fine. I didn't feel like luck-based challenges presence was significant. Gray bouncers were annoying, but they aren't a challenge, they're pointless. UFO was a "restart if it moves the wrong way" thing, which is bad, but not too bad. Shooter at x1009y998 was luck-based, but would be fair if there was a save-point after stupid bouncers.
I had to cheat in x1003y997, because such surprise deaths after a hard challenge are completely unacceptable.
Chrysophylax, what's the surprise on x1011y998 which nearly gave you a heart attack? I don't see or remember any surprises there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 22:32:52 by GrayFace »

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 17:41:20 »
Chrysophylax, what's the surprise on x1011y998 which nearly gave you a heart attack? I don't see or remember any surprises there.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)