Installing Knytt Underground on Ubuntu

• 7 Replies

Offline mentis

• View Profile
Installing Knytt Underground on Ubuntu
« on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:43 »
Hey everybody, I'm fairly new to linux and started using Ubuntu 13.10 recently. I've been trying to find install instructions for Knytt Underground but haven't had much luck.

Next I tried following install instructions for installing a tar.gz from here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/compile-install-tar-gz-tar-bz2-files-ubuntu-linux/

I used the following commands:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall
sudo apt-get install subversion git-core mercurial
sudo chown $USER /usr/local/src
sudo chmod u+rwx /usr/local/src
sudo apt-get install apt-file
sudo apt-file update
cd /usr/local/src
tar -xzvf <filename>.tar.gz
tar -xjvf <filename>.tar.bz2
cd /usr/local/src/<extracted folder>

But when I got to using "./configure" I wasn't able to proceed, says there no such file or directory. Seems like this procedure makes changes that I'm not so sure about so hopefully I didn't mess things up... any help would be appreciated!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Installing Knytt Underground on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 14:44:24 »
I'm not an expert in linux, but if you type su from the terminal and log in, all next commands are executed as if you put sudo in front of it and type the password each time.

As for problems with installing it, only thing I can think of is that there's a rights matter. Is /usr/local your home directory? Cus you should install it to your homedirectory.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline mentis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 20:31:05 »
Thanks for the reply! I do have rights in that folder, the issue I'm running into is that I'm not sure what to do at the step where I'm supposed to configure the source files (using ./configure command).

I see that there's a file called alsoft.conf but the command doesn't seem to recognize it? That's the part I'm not really sure about...

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 21:14:08 »
You really just extract the contents somewhere (you can use a GUI file archiver) and double-click "run.sh", then select to run it.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any time to make an installer on Linux. Generally, game developers just archive up the executable + data in a tar.gz and bundle an .sh with it on Linux, so it's pretty standard practice.
Let me know if you have trouble running it though!

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 22:38:34 »
Hey everybody, I'm fairly new to linux and started using Ubuntu 13.10 recently. I've been trying to find install instructions for Knytt Underground but haven't had much luck.

Next I tried following install instructions for installing a tar.gz from here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/compile-install-tar-gz-tar-bz2-files-ubuntu-linux/

I used the following commands:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall
sudo apt-get install subversion git-core mercurial
sudo chown $USER /usr/local/src
sudo chmod u+rwx /usr/local/src
sudo apt-get install apt-file
sudo apt-file update
cd /usr/local/src
tar -xzvf <filename>.tar.gz
tar -xjvf <filename>.tar.bz2
cd /usr/local/src/<extracted folder>

But when I got to using "./configure" I wasn't able to proceed, says there no such file or directory. Seems like this procedure makes changes that I'm not so sure about so hopefully I didn't mess things up... any help would be appreciated!

Just for your information, what you've linked to are generic instructions on how you typically compile a program on Linux: since a lot of Linux programs are available as source code inside a compressed archive like tar.gz or tar.bz2 (think of them as zip or rar files), these instructions make a few assumtions. However, Knytt Underground is available as an already compiled program, so those steps don't apply. It's just like with "portable" applications or a good number of indie games on Windows: unzip and play!

The ./configure command you cited is meant to launch the 'configure' file that is generally found inside a source archive organized with the Autoconf tool (needed to prepare some compile and installation settings); naturally, the file not being there in Knytt Underground (because there's no source code to compile), it doesn't work.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline mentis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 00:54:38 »
Ah, thanks guys! Making way more sense now. I guess I made it a lot more complicated for myself than I needed to... will give it another go later! Thanks again!! :D

Offline mentis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 19:56:32 »
Okay, so I finally got to trying to this. Super busy lately, but better late than never ;). So it wasn't working initially, but after doing some research I figured out that I needed to change a simple setting.

Had to go to File>Preferences>Behavior, and change the "Executable Text Files" to something other than "View..." Now it's finally working! Yay :D

Next step is getting my 360 controller to work with AntiMicro! I can probably figure that one out though. Looking forward to playing the game a big finally :).

Offline mentis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:06 »
Alright, so far so good. I got the controller mapped more or less ok but curious what the controls are on consoles.

Can anyone tell me what the controller config is on a ps3 or wii? I can't seem to find any mention of controls anywhere online...