Resetting game

• 8 Replies

Offline jtty

• View Profile
Resetting game
« on: June 02, 2014, 19:56:41 »
So, basically, I'm starting to speedrun this game, but I don't know how to reset the game to default with no saves. I have the steam version, and I can't get myself to spawn back at the left of the title screen. Help?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Resetting game
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 22:08:43 »
Ah, this is a tricky one.

You need to do the following, which is basically removing your red, green and blue ini files from the steamcloud.

Given that you normally don't have access to this, a trick is required to get this done.

How to alter your steam cloud storage
1. Close steam (it cannot run!)
2. Use explorer to navigate to <steam>\userdata\##########\248190
3. Remove the file remotecache.vdf.
4. Open folder remote
5. Edit the red, green and blue ini files and delete all. (Each file becomes 0 bytes big)
6. Start steam.
7. Wait for it to finish synchronising.
8. If steam does not popup with a cloud storage conflict, launch the game to trigger the dialog.
9. Before doing anyhing, switch to your explorer window and remove the red, green and blue ini files.
10. Choose Copy local storage to cloud option.
11. This will delete the 3 files in the cloud as well.
12. The game should now run and start at the tutorial area.

Exit the game and as long as you don't complete the tutorial area, you'll start there.

If the above does not work, copy the settings file to a place outside the userdata folder and repeat the process, this time you include the settings.ini too. So when you trigger the sync conflict dialog, you delete everything in the remote folder, then choose copy to cloud.

The game will now launch full screen. Exit, and copy back the settings.ini. Because the cloud does not have a file there, it won't get overwritten on next launch.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 22:10:46 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jtty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 22:41:02 »
So, say I do all this, then start going through the game. Speedrunning obviously takes a lot of tries and restarting from the beginning. Is this something I need to do over and over again?

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:34:26 »
you could also just run steam in offline mode, and when you need to reset, just delete to save files locally.

Offline jtty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:43:17 »
Where are the local save files?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 13:26:42 »
You can also disable cloud synchronisation for Knytt Underground.

The steam version always saves its files in the <steam>\userdata\######\248190 folder

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jtty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 17:46:56 »
Thanks a bunch guys!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 13:47:07 »
Actually, just erasing all three savegames from the menu should make you start at the left tutorial area next time. I don't think Steam allows achievement resets tho.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 20:44:24 »
Actually, just erasing all three savegames from the menu should make you start at the left tutorial area next time. I don't think Steam allows achievement resets tho.

I tested this, but that didn't work. At least not in the steam version, unless something went wrong.

MODPlug Central Forum