The Tale Smith

• 8 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
The Tale Smith
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:49 »
Greetings, and fair use, visitors of Ljus.

I come bearing a new forum game, where we craft stories based on the guidelines of the previous storyteller.  The rules are simple:

• Write a short story based on guidelines set up by the previous poster, then set the guidelines for the next story when you are done.
  • The guidelines can be anything related to the art of writing, as long as they obey the forum rules of decency.
  • You cannot specify more than 3 guidelines, or less than 1.
  • Your story should not require more than 1000 words or less than 200.
  • Put your story in a spoiler box, so that the thread is more compact.

Now, since I am the first poster, I shall simply start with a story I wrote a short while back.

Spoiler: Story: 'One Last One' (click to show/hide)

Now, time for my guidelines for the next talesmith:

• This story must be told only in the form of questions and answers.
  • It needs to involve a rubber ducky.
  • It needs to use a double negative at least twice.

Have fun!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Re: The Tale Smith
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 21:05:58 »
I don't know if this counts as only Q&A, but here you go.

Guidelines or something:
  • The story must take place in a two-dimensional universe. (Think something like Flatland or The Planiverse.)
  • The story must have at least one character based on any still-somewhat-active member of the Nifforum. Basing a character on yourself doesn't count.

Edit: Also, if you write a story but someone posts theirs before you, can you still post it without writing one with the new guidelines? Because these things take a bit more time than Corrupt-A-Wish corruptions.
Edit: Just realized that if you put the names in Fubaka's story together, you get the word "universe". That's kinda clever.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 19:37:09 by StraightFlame »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:43 »
Also, if you write a story but someone posts theirs before you, can you still post it without writing one with the new guidelines? Because these things take a bit more time than Corrupt-A-Wish corruptions.

Yeah that's fine, just be sure you make it clear which guidelines you were following.  The only thing to keep in mind is that if someone beats you to the punch, their guidelines are the ones to be followed next.

I attempted to write the next story, but it seems I need more time to think about your guidelines.  I will try again tomorrow, unless someone else has a better idea and does it first.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 19:50:14 »
Righty ho!

I love this idea for a thread, though it's so involved I don't know how successful it'll be; still, I've had a go. :) I've said in the past I like using games as a method of telling stories, but just occasionally I also like to try telling stories as a method of telling stories.

I'm afraid I've cheated somewhat with the direction of writing in a 2D setting, but I tried, and at least I wrote something! I guess you could say I've added a third dimension to a 2D setting, and I hope you'll understand what I mean when you read my offering.

I also shoved in a lot more than one character based on a forumite to make up for my creative interpretation of StraightFlame's First Rule. It's hard to judge people based on how they appear in an online community! Especially if the language of the community isn't their first language! This is my justification for anyone suspecting I've used them and got their personality completely wrong.

I also noted that the rule was that directions given should not require a player to write more than 1000 words. Well, it wasn't required that I write 1700 words...

Been a while since I posted a story on a forum. Good to be back at it. :) I call it...

Stories About Heroes

Spoiler: Read me! (click to show/hide)

My rule for the next poster:
You must write a story that is no more than 300 words long.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 23:14:15 by Talps »

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 23:51:50 »
Word count: 288
(Also, is Logi the name of the knytt mother person character? Did you make the StraightFlame-character a girl?)

Guidelines or something:
  • The story must involve something that has something to do with the Wu Xing. (The five main caracters' personalities and interests, five possible types of magic, five locations themed after elements, some elaborate password system, i don't care.)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 00:27:51 »
Logi is a young (compared to Macala) knytt male with an interest in anything interesting. All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Your evidence is rubbish; it'll never hold up in a court of law. You'll never take me alive *Maniacle laugh followed by distressing gurgle*
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:05:45 by Talps »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:27 »
Alright, let's take a crack at this:

Spoiler: The Pentower (click to show/hide)

Phew!  I hope you find that satisfactory to your requirement.  Now for my next set of guidelines:

• Your story must involve an icy cavern at some point.
  • There must be at least 5.0 * 10^0 instances of numbers displayed using scientific notation.
  • There must be a song included in a link that the reader can listen to while reading your story.

Have fun!

Love anything

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 08:31:54 »
I tried. Hopefully this is good enough.

Spoiler: Kickstuck (click to show/hide)

Whew! One of the requirements might have been loosely used, but whatever. It's too late to be writing stories that are actually good.

Now, let's see somebody write a story about (choose one of the two topics):
  • One of your favorite Knytt Stories(+/EX) levels, from the game protagonist's perspective (ex. a journal entry from Juni, or something similar to that effect)
OR
  • Something involving a "freak pizza accident." (Being creative is not required, but recommended.)

AND the story has to:
  • be at least 500 words long. And less than 600. MUAHAHAHA.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 22:45:28 »
Well, I just noticed the word 'freak' there in the brief, and I missed that. Sorry. But never mind!

As it happens, I made this such a micro story that I struggled to make up 500 words, and for a while I thought of writing 'Screw Flanders!' at the bottom a few dozen times, but I managed to eke in the extra words.

This story contains two instances of bad language (though one of them is only bad in Britain).

I call it...

I Wish I Could Stop Loving You Awhile

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

To the next poster:

Write a fairy-tale!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:55:05 by Talps »