Secret Level Tips

• 13 Replies

Offline McGloomy

• View Profile
Secret Level Tips
« on: October 25, 2014, 18:09:34 »
I'm always looking for new levels to play and I played most of the popular and classic levels like "Don't Eat the Mushroom" or "Dark Sky of Wish Mountain", but I'm wondering if there are any good levels that might not be that popular, but still belong to your favorites and that should be given a try. Are there any levels that you can think of? :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Secret Level Tips
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 18:30:23 »
What is considered a popular or classic level? What can be that to you may not be that to someone else.

So this quickly will become a "mention any level" topic.

That said, Talps' "I dreamed of the sky" is one of my favorites. But I can't say if this is a popular level or not.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 19:44:27 »
My levels are the best and they're super secret. Look I've hidden them in my signature oh nooo I've revealed the secret what have I done.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 20:53:13 »
My levels are the best and they're super secret. Look I've hidden them in my signature oh nooo I've revealed the secret what have I done.

He asked for good levels. :P
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 21:22:48 »
*Dons false moustache*

Hmm, I think all of Talps' levels are pretty awesome.

:shifty:

(Also, B-Man's 'The Great Race', Anyndel & Drakkan's 'Gaia', 'Sohe and the Rrokked', 'Endless Winter'... and anything by that guy in the cheesy moustache.)

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 11:30:17 »
There are quite a few excellent levels, it kinda depends on what you're interested in.

My personal favorite levels were made by Egomassive, Headgrinder, Talps, Farik, Hmpf and KG. I really recommend you check out some of their levels.

Also "Emma fell down a well" I've heard that's like the best level ever in ever like it's really good please play it I worked hard.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:33:56 by bulbapuck »
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:36:25 »
Dessgeega's levels are really beautiful - they are my favorite levels (especially The Oubliette and Under a Crack). Fegon's Temple of the Sun and Yggdrasil are also worth looking into. And A Walk at Night by Quincent Cartographer. Have fun!  :^^:

Offline McGloomy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 01:55:00 »
What is considered a popular or classic level? What can be that to you may not be that to someone else.

That's totally right, but after looking at some "Best KS Levels" threads, websites and blog posts I got the impression that there are some levels that are mentioned quite regularly. "Don't Eat the Mushroom" is a good example because it seems to be one of those levels that a lot of people recommend. That's why I was asking for personal favorites that might not be that well-known.

That said, Talps' "I dreamed of the sky" is one of my favorites.

Thank you, that was an excellent recommendation! More on that below...

My levels are the best and they're super secret.

I actually downloaded "Mashu Prapa" just a few days before I made this thread. I loved how green and environmental it is, but I haven't found all the keys yet. In the meantime I also checked out your other levels. I really liked "Flood" (especially how bad-ass Juni was in that one).

Hmm, I think all of Talps' levels are pretty awesome.

I have to agree! ^^ "Petals of a Dying Flower" has always been one of my favorites and I also enjoyed "I Chased the Moon" a lot. I really liked "Eurydice", but I have to admit that it got way to difficult for me after a while. I think I'll revisit that level soon, though.

After LPChip's recommendation I downloaded "I Dreamed of the Sky". For some reason that level had gone totally past me (I either thought I already played it or I confused it with another level). I can only say: Wow! That is really one of the best levels I ever played. The storyline was captivating and I almost teared up a bit at the end, which is definitely a first for a Knytt Story level.

(Also, B-Man's 'The Great Race', Anyndel & Drakkan's 'Gaia', 'Sohe and the Rrokked', 'Endless Winter'...

I had already played most of these, except for "Endless Winter". I finished that one today, so thanks for the tip!

Also "Emma fell down a well" I've heard that's like the best level ever in ever like it's really good please play it I worked hard.

Thank you, that was another level I really enjoyed. I loved how Juni just could go down in the beginning and had to climb all the way up again afterwards... it gave me a certain sense of space and direction that I haven't found that often in other levels.

Dessgeega's levels are really beautiful - they are my favorite levels (especially The Oubliette and Under a Crack).

Thanks, I really liked those two. "The Oubliette" really made me feel like I was trapped in some kind of clockwork, which gave me a bit of a Hugo Cabret vibe...

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 08:40:47 »
I would refer to this thread: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=427.0 There should be a lot of crossover, just look for levels that you've not heard of yet.

I'll mention a couple levels that may be overlooked, or maybe not. It's just from my perspective and I haven't been on this forum as long or been as active as many of the people here.

LG-28 by Medic-Ted interesting and cool environmental playground level.

The Dying Core by egomassive a great level of his that doesn't seem to get mentioned nearly as much as the others, but I really like some of the amazing visual trickery he does to make something made of duct-tape look like it was carved from marble. If you're interested at all in making levels and want to have your mind blown with what can be done visually with KS, I really recommend just looking at his levels in the editor to have your mind blown.

Define by KG this is amazing and really is its own game entirely with its own rules. In my mind it may be overlooked in comparison to KG's other levels because it is more recent and many people making "Best KS level" lists tend to have done it a couple years ago.

Ascension by Farik I just love what Farik does with the art in the game. Also, I bring up Farik because of his unfinished level Sputzna, which tended to look like it was going to be amazing and may be overlooked because it is unfinished.

I like to explore Knytt Stories levels, when I'm in the mood, completely fresh and without any knowledge of them. Sometimes just downloading some of the newest levels uploaded to knyttlevels, the level archive. It's very hard to find an outright bad level, most of them are always interesting or fun in their own way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:45:47 by plural »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 13:57:42 »
Here's some you could play that haven't been mentioned and you might not have heard of:

My list may have some conspicuous absences because there are a lot of levels I downloaded and then never found time to play. Like Cosmic Meltdown! And most of yohji's older levels! One day...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 05:28:50 »
If it's a great little-known level you want then I have to recommend...

THE RECKOMING by Bradf

for it's humor.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 02:05:51 »
Forgot to mention it before but 'Paradise Last' by Johnny is a superb level despite the comparatively basic graphics. It has one of the best worlds I've seen in a KS level.

I think I heard there's a finished version, though the version I have right now is a beta that I edited to make playable...

Thanks for your kind words about my levels. I'm considering making a DX version of 'Eurydice', though it'll be a big job...
And wow, I'm really glad the plot of 'I Dreamed of the Sky' moved you so much! <3
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:54:10 by Talps »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 00:43:45 »
Here are some levels I liked that I don't see recommended often:
Lost and Found, by Simon: This one is new. Apparently it was created for a class in level design. I found it a very charming short story.

altF4, by 14: This is an unusual exploration level. It uses KS's ambience channels to layer the music, which is something I rarely see. The early-going is kind of rough, though.

My Super Secret Basement, by Sergio Cornaga: A well-made key hunt. The ending area might have more impact if you've already played a lot of Knytt Stories.

A Lovely Day for a Picnic, by RichardJ: An environmental level with some pretty scenery. If you like this level, be sure to play Snow Machine by the same author.

Offline McGloomy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 16:49:43 »
I'll mention a couple levels that may be overlooked, or maybe not

Thanks! I especially liked "Acension" because it was really beautiful and a little melancholic.

I like to explore Knytt Stories levels, when I'm in the mood, completely fresh and without any knowledge of them. Sometimes just downloading some of the newest levels uploaded to knyttlevels, the level archive.

I always felt a little overwhelmed by all those levels, but I gave your approach a try and found some great levels like "It's a Jungle Out There" by gamerjc21. So thanks for the tip! :)

Here's some you could play that haven't been mentioned and you might not have heard of

Thanks for all of your recommendations. I really liked "Knytt on the Moon" and "Blue House". I had already played "Rainy Day Adventure", but I also checked out your other levels. "9 days" was beautiful and "Keys to the Asian Market" made me laugh. ;)

THE RECKOMING by Bradf

That level was totally awesome and funny, so thanks for that!

Forgot to mention it before but 'Paradise Last' by Johnny is a superb level despite the comparatively basic graphics. It has one of the best worlds I've seen in a KS level.

I tracked down that level but got stuck in the hotel... I like what I've seen so far but I felt a little lost after a while.

I'm considering making a DX version of 'Eurydice', though it'll be a big job...

I'd love to play that someday! :)

Here are some levels I liked that I don't see recommended often

Thanks for your suggestions! I had played "My Super Secret Basement" before, but got stuck in the ending loop. After reading your post I gave it another try and finally made it through, so thanks for the new motivation. ^^