Working on a map with togglable sections and all secrets

• 3 Replies
Hey there, been a while since I posted here, over four years in fact. I'm working on something cool, a complete map of the game based on BinarySplit's world map (the high resolution version), with the ingame map overlaid on the main world and secret areas in separate named layers, with a links layer indicating how to get into a given area. I admittedly don't know much about the secrets in the game, so I'm going through old posts on the forum and using out-of-bounds clips to access areas through screen edges you aren't meant to get to (I found this old post by Nicklas with the debug teleport code, it's been very helpful.) If there was some way to make a central copy that everyone could modify, that would be awesome, but in the meantime I'm just going to put the GIMP project up on a file sharing site and people can check it out.

Download:

https://gitlab.com/blha303/knyttunderground-map/blob/master/knyttunderground.xcf

Changelog:

* v0.10 - Identified the last secret area, I never encountered Evil Lu before today
* v0.9 - Moved secret passages to a new layer, added disorder links
* v0.8 - Finished splitting up the secret areas (except for three screens with no outgoing links)
* v0.7 - Used AA's KUEditor, added a whole bunch of cool stuff. Being able to see the room scripts is neat
* v0.6 - Added some links from the Disorder to the overworld to aid fast travel
* v0.5 - Added interlude, Added chapters 1 and 2 shading
* v0.4 - Redid existing areas based on grid
* v0.3 - Added grid, Added link from mathias teleporter to west room
* v0.2 - Added link from menu north area to secret dance puzzle
* v0.1 - Initial
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:42:56 by blha303 »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Working on a map with togglable sections and all secrets
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 20:39:30 »
Wow, this must have taken a tremendous amount of time to make. I'm sure it will come in handy someday when I go looking for the things I know I missed, which there was a lot of. *gives a hidden star*

Offline flesk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:57 »
Impressive work! :)

If there was some way to make a central copy that everyone could modify, that would be awesome

There's always GitHub.

Does this map contain "off-map" areas in Chapter 3 too, like the Figures and other secret areas?

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:35 »
Impressive work! :)

If there was some way to make a central copy that everyone could modify, that would be awesome

There's always GitHub.

Does this map contain "off-map" areas in Chapter 3 too, like the Figures and other secret areas?

It certainly does contain those areas, they're split into their own layers as an alternative to labelling them with text on the map.

I considered Github but they don't like hosting files over 50MB and they don't allow upload of files over 100MB. Plus, Git is really only good for text, and gimp projects are giant blobs of binary, so it wouldn't be able to diff it and show changes. Maybe there's another site out there that can diff gimp projects, but I doubt it.