[V1.0a] Knytt Stories DS

• 235 Replies

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2010, 19:05:17 »
For those who want to try the jump-climbing issues, check this new internal beta:

http://www.rodrigoroman.com/rrc2soft/files/KSDS_B2a.zip

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2010, 20:52:10 »
I found climbing to be absolutely perfect now! C)
Juni still hovers a pixel from the wall though..
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2010, 21:50:54 »

Precisely, I am on it  ;) . Expect it to be fixed  :D

« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2010, 07:01:30 »

Precisely, I am on it  ;) . Expect it to be fixed  :D

Yeah, it looked to me like Juni, and most of the other sprite-type objects are all off by a pixel. I'm guessing it's probably just something in how those types of non-background objects are being rendered. Of course, I'm not the programmer here, so I could very well be quite wrong. Either way, things are looking better and better.

« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2010, 01:17:45 »
I just noticed: [WIP] is still in the topic title.
Lurk more.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2010, 02:10:53 »
I just noticed: [WIP] is still in the topic title.

Well, technically, is still a [WIP]  :) . Anyway, I'll change it to [BETA] (Thanks!)

Re: [BETA] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2010, 03:05:04 »
I think, but am not sure, that the water object also seems to be a pixel or two out of place.  Can anyone verify?

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2010, 08:30:24 »
I think, but am not sure, that the water object also seems to be a pixel or two out of place.  Can anyone verify?

As betasword already mentioned, all objects may be shifted, including liquids (and Juni). Of course it's hard to verify this for all objects, but I think it's safe to assume all of them are affected.

Objects seem to be off one pixel to the left and one up.

Actually, could it be the other way round? I mean, it's could tiles that are shifted one pixel right and one down instead. Looking at some tiles near the border, I think this might be the case, but I'm not 100% sure.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2010, 11:03:08 »
As betasword already mentioned, all objects may be shifted, including liquids (and Juni).

They are... or they were  ;) . Actually, it was a problem from the underlying libraries.

(design mode ON)
KSDS simulates the 2D tiles using 3D surfaces (using the underlying 3Dsprites structure from PAlib), and the background is a big 256x192 texture (I needed this to implement transparency). However, there was a problem with the old version of the library that I was using - the 3D "camera" was not functioning correctly, hence the objects were out of place. The error was corrected by the maintainers of PAlib in new versions of the library, so everything is more or less :P2  fine now.
(design mode OFF)

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2010, 03:36:42 »
New internal beta version to try  :). In THIS version, *all* sounds have been implemented, and also an emulation of wallswimming is available. Note that I have compiled it with a new version of the underlying libraries, and it seems that it may not work on some cards. Feedback?  :D

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2010, 15:03:12 »
There appears to be a bug with signs and jumping. I don't know how to explain it, but when a sign appears on screen and I jump out of the "activation area" it won't reappear when I return. Sometimes it suddenly appears again and disappears again.  :huh:

This isn't all signs though. I've had trouble with the sign at the double jump power-up in the tutorial and the sign telling you to look at the upper screen for a list of power-ups gathered.

Also, the game runs pretty slow in the screen with the waterfall in the tutorial. As the water below the invisible bridge didn't slow down the game I presume it's the falling water tiles which slows the game down.

Additionally, some critters are running around a bit fast, I think.

Are the boolean values on the upper screen hideable?

Overall, this looks extremely good! I'm amazed how you've put it all together so well! Keep up the good work!  :D

EDIT:
[...]Note that I have compiled it with a new version of the underlying libraries, and it seems that it may not work on some cards. Feedback?  :D
This still works on the CycloDS Evolution.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2010, 15:44:15 »
All good on R4 as well. Great job!
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:56 »
Hi!

I just finished all major tasks (including the signs bug) related to the source code.

In other words... KSDS is almost finished!!!!  C)p C)p C)p (Seems this is going to be the week on finished games, as vdweller also finished his metal venture  :) )

Tomorrow I'll post a Release Candidate, that is, a version of the game that can be considered final but is used to search for hidden bugs (please test? ;) ).
And if no major bugs are found, KSDS v1.0 will be released on Friday 19th 22:00 CET time!  8D

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE 1] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:42 »
Hi everyone,

This is the link for the Release Candidate 1 (RC1) of Knytt Stories DS  :) (and THIS fixes a small bug on this RC1  :oops:). The .zip includes everything + the level "A Knytt in Time" by egomassive (The final version will not include this level, this is just for your testing pleasure ;) ).

If no major bugs are found, I will wrap up everything and release the real final version of Knytt Stories DS next Friday  :D. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 00:10:05 by rrc2soft »

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE 1] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2010, 05:24:04 »
 :D

yay.

btw are you allowed to release the level?  :P2