[platformer] An Untitled Story

• 54 Replies

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
Re: [platformer] An Untitled Story
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 02:56:46 »
"Z"
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 03:53:21 »
"X," actually.  (Z sometimes works, though.)

(Okay, so it actually depends on your control setup, but X is default.)

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 05:00:14 »
Whoops! My bad!

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 16:42:59 »
And now he's released like the 3rd update this week! :crazy: O_o
after being dormant for like 6 months...
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Niffreak

• Irritant forum noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 18:50:21 »
I really like this one.

Gameplay: 9.5/10. This game keeps me going without ever boring me out. It's not easy, sure, but the difficulty is fair enough for me to not feel like "This jump just is impossible", rather like "C'mon, niffreak, you know you can do better than that!" The only bit are those heart barriers, but those aren't neccesary, so they aren't that much of a deal. It's just my completionist sense that keeps nagging on me.

Graphics: 8/10. I'll give you that, they're not very detailed, but they do what they have do. They really change my mood: from obnoxious to charming to relaxing. There is just the lack of detail.

Music: 7/10. This one variates. The music at nightwalk, for example, is very soothing and sets the mood. Into the next zone, deepmountain, this devolves into a drum and a horrible electric guitar, and so on. It's not too good, but when it's good, it REALLY is good.

Overall: 8.5/10. Bonza job. (Sequel, sequel, sequel...)
Please visit  http://razzorville.myminicity.com ! You would make me very happy.

I could get an avatar... if i had a good pic and a bit more patience.

"It is a wonder that current education methods have not yet strangled the sacred spirit of curiosity" Einstein

Owner of the creativity trophy from Do what you want 2. I don't know how to rescue it from the burning wreck of the original forum.

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 14:02:21 »
IMO this is a really awesome platformer (I downloaded it last week.)
I love the music it was some of the best ive ever heard.
I like the Chest music. I has an ubeat that sounds like "You can do it!"

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 14:03:24 »
I believe Raocow is doing a Lets Play on the game, so if you can watch his videos if you want to see what its like (or if you're trying to find hidden items).
:hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 18:40:39 »
Yes, but his walkthrough is going to be blind, and I alrealdy saw him skip tons of powerups, so I think that hateworkboy's walkthrough is the best.

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 23:17:13 »
Yes, but his walkthrough is going to be blind, and I alrealdy saw him skip tons of powerups, so I think that hateworkboy's walkthrough is the best.

I like raocow's lets plays. There very good.

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 00:41:31 »
I like raocow's lets plays. There very good.
They are certainly funny, but good? :huh:
Lets get back on topic anyways. (not that we have gone very offtopiccy, but stil :))

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 16:59:55 »
I might do LPs of this, if I can find a decent video-taking program that is okay quality and doesn't slow down my computer by 5x.
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 17:47:29 »
I was going to do an LP on Insanity, but Ducko already made a series of INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS which kind of defeats the purpose.

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 17:31:11 »
Meh. I really don't understand why so many people like this game so much.  I've tried it out once or twice, but never bothered to get very far.  I just... can't find anything redeeming about it to keep me playing.  The BGM is mediocre and often brash, the graphics look haphazard and bland, and the sound effects are extremely irritating - especially the 'powerup gained' sound.  I don't find the gameplay to be of particularly fine quality either.  The powerups seem randomly placed, the enemies' hitboxes cover more than their sprites do, and the 'jump on enemies to kill them' idea is stock.  It's pretty much the default way to kill enemies in a game when you have no other ideas.  From what I've read earlier in this topic, it sounds like the game has a memorable plot, but the beginning levels just seem too uninspired to hold my interest, and just end up annoying me.  I suppose after having played a plethora of freeware platformers with superior controls, graphics, music, and overall polish - WaDF, LiCS, La-Mulana, and Cave Story to name a few - this game just seems very sub-par.  A lot of things could definitely be improved.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 17:33:06 by TheoX »
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 18:58:26 »
I suppose after having played a plethora of freeware platformers with superior controls, graphics, music, and overall polish - WaDF, LiCS, La-Mulana, and Cave Story to name a few - this game just seems very sub-par.

Actually, WaDF has somewhat similar graphics (just not as 'rounded' as much of the graphics in AUS is).
:hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 21:29:29 »
If any of you are interested in a bigger AUS, then read this (and feel free to help, we'd really appreciate it!).