[platformer] An Untitled Story

• 54 Replies

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
Re: [platformer] An Untitled Story
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 22:11:50 »
Great game!  Completely unoriginal since it admittedly took SO much from Seiklus, but it definitely expanded upon that.  It took me a few days to 100% it (due to its huge content) and it's easily in my top 20 indie games of all time.

Overall rating - 7.9

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 22:19:57 »
Completely unoriginal since it admittedly took SO much from Seiklus,
Beyond the basic features that most explorational platformers share, I don't see many similarities.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2010, 22:51:28 »
...AUS takes more from Metroid than it takes from Seiklus.  Seiklus takes more from Metroid than AUS takes from Seiklus.

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 14:26:56 »
1) Graphical Style
2) Sound Effects
3) Map Screen

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 23:27:52 »
1) Graphical Style
I...what?
Spoiler: Seiklus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: An Untitled Story (click to show/hide)
2) Sound Effects
I can't really think of any examples of this. Could you point out some?
3) Map Screen
It's a standard puzzle-platformer map screen, really. Each room is divided into boxes, and they're all displayed in a grid. Then your collected items are displayed next to it.

Note I'm not saying that there aren't any similarities, I'm just saying that it didn't take a ton of stuff from Seiklus. :/

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 01:15:22 »
The graphical style is similar to Seiklus', but not greatly so.  Knytt's style has more similarities to Seiklus' style than the AUS style does, so...yeah.

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2010, 15:15:05 »
When I played this game, I felt Seiklus in the tone of background artwork.  I felt Seiklus in the sounds played (e.g. getting hurt) and I felt the map style was formulated with Seiklus clearly in mind.  I hadn't read anywhere before I played the game that this game was completely inspired by Seiklus, I only found that out after completion when it says so in the credits - and that's when everything clicked.  When I played through Knytt I felt no structural similarities, only that they're both explorational platformers.  Just because I felt that way playing it doesn't mean you lot should've too!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 00:40:30 »
I CAN'T GET PAST THE DAMN ROCK GUY FFFFUUUUUUUUU...[/rage]
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2010, 00:34:35 »
I remember wanting to try this game, but it kept crashing every time I opened the file, so eventually I gave up. :-(

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 11:20:30 »
I love this game, or I love what I've played of this game.

It's the best experience I've had in demistifying über polished graphics as a gaming necessity -- my first major playing experience was Final Fantasy IX, with all it's wonderful pre-rendered backgrounds and their agonizing mismatch with any other graphical element in the game; it's got a competent-to-great soundtrack; it sets up a large world while entirely avoiding epic fantasy/sci fi clichés; it has a special way of feeling shoddy and hastily put together and clunky to control and at the same time elegantly designed and organic and just good to play, just plain good-feeling to play and to get to know as a game. I have no problem with the abundance of power-ups and hearts; it makes the game feel generous and steers it away from masochore clichés that dominate a lot of harder games' mindsets.

It lacks in variation towards the later parts of the game -- which is why I've never gone all the way through. But overall it feels like a playground and it reminds me of the first moments I was excited by games, and it reminds me of trying to draw super-heroes in paint when I was ten years old, and I appreciate that a lot.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:22:23 by oskop »