[SPOILER] KS Cheat option

• 88 Replies

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILER] KS Cheat option
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2010, 17:03:40 »
I thought I would post my opinion on this.

I love the cheat. In fact, I've found myself enjoying KS far more after finally finding the secret end to the explore challenge. The reason for this is in my sig.. I'm a proud member of the league of crap players :). But being a crap player was horrible sometimes.
For instance, Ascention by Farik. I noticed how many people enjoyed this game and downloaded. I enjoyed it until I got underground. Then came the frustration. And after finally beating that I got to the next obsticle, and I tried for hours to get past it but failed. I gave up.
When I discovered the cheat the first thing I did was use it one or two times to finally beat Ascention. And I loved it.

I don't understand why anyone would oppose this cheat. If you use it correctly, the game just gets better C)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2010, 13:54:04 »
I don't understand why anyone would oppose this cheat. If you use it correctly, the game just gets better C)

I don't agree with you at all here. Sure okay, it might not be enjoyable to be stuck in one place for an hour. But it's a challange and it is supposed to be beat. By cheating you don't be that challange and you don't beat the level. So how can you feel good after doing such a crime. I have used the cheat myself several times and I have to say it isn't fun at all. The great feel of acomplishment after beating a lunatic level isn't just there.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2010, 17:31:48 »
The great feel of acomplishment after beating a lunatic level isn't just there.
The cheat is useful when you are desinging the level and I used it several times in hard levels, but I must agree with you. It's totally bad to use it always when you are suck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 17:33:24 by Comhon »

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 19:20:16 »
I've only ever used it when a luck-based hazard has killed me more than seven or so times. I'm very patient with this game and often find amusement even in stupid deaths, but I can only tolerate so much. It's a last resort, not a common tool like the powerups.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 23:18:52 »
Of course you shouldn't use it every time you get stuck, that would be stupid and boring :P

I still stand by my statement: if you use it correctly, it improoves the game.

When you reach a place in a level that you cannot get past, no matter how hard you try, I see only two options. (1) Give up and never bring the level up again (as you don't feel like sitting for hours trying to get it right) or (2) use the cheat this one time, finish the level and get the full experience that the author intended.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 01:28:12 »
When you reach a place in a level that you cannot get past, no matter how hard you try, I see only two options. (1) Give up and never bring the level up again (as you don't feel like sitting for hours trying to get it right) or (2) use the cheat this one time, finish the level and get the full experience that the author intended.
I did that once. Then I spent weeks brooding over having not fully completed the level until I got enough skills to go back and do it properly.
Lurk more.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:12 »
If you use it correctly, the game just gets better C)

Heh, another cheat-fan. Welcome to the club! :) We're the minority here, I'm afraid.

I totally agree that the cheat makes the game better, and I use it a lot. I'm not into challenges and puzzles, but I really like the hassle-free exploration of interesting and beautiful places, Environmental-style. With the cheat, I can easily turn any level into an Environmental. Yay for the cheat! :P

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2010, 10:34:08 »
For what it matters, I am also of the opinion that the cheat should be public. Whether it spoils the game or not, it should be up to the player to chose what he wants to do with it. Nifflas' opinion on the issue would surely put an end to this discussion, but considering how open he generally is about his games (letting players have access to the save files and edit even the levels made by him), I can't think of a good reason he would disapprove.

However, even if Nifflas decides it is to be kept a secret, I do not understand why it should only be hidden in THAT particular level. It is not by Nifflas himself nor even an "orthodox" level, but one which heavily relies on brute force and, although I personally enjoyed it, is not for every player. This "The Explore Challenge" cheat monopoly status is, I think, rather unfair and unjustified. While it might have made some sense back in 2007, there is currently no reason to force this level upon people willing to know the cheat, with all the levels that are available.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:46:01 by PONTO »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2010, 15:26:58 »
The only reason why I do not want to post the cheat publicly is because I want the player to do some effort in finding the cheat. It doesn't have to be hidden in only my level, but it shouldn't be that easy to get either, because that defeats the purpose.

If Nifflas decides to post it on the forum, I would still want a very well constructed post to give the cheat with spoilers and warning messages before the actual instructions. I don't mind making that post myself either.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2010, 14:23:41 »
I don't actually remember the cheat code, I just know the four keys I think it's attributed to, and I tap them randomly until it works X)

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2010, 01:51:45 »
I don't get how the cheat can be an improvement to the game when what it does is by definition break the game by bending its rules. But I also don't completely understand why something that enables you to not have to go through the full playing challenge should be available only as a reward for... going through the full playing challenge.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2010, 12:50:35 »
Why do cheats actually exists in games you ask?

There are a few reasons why cheats are in a game. And I'm not just talking about Knytt Stories. I'm talking about cheating in games in general.

There are 3 primary reasons (there are more, no doubt) that I can think of.

1. This is the biggest reason for cheats to be in a game: Its a development tool. Enable cheats, get to a point in game quickly, and then disable them to test that part. Often something in a game has changed, so you can't use save games. No clip in 3d games is to move to a part of the map quickly. Loading a specific map is obvious..., getting all weapons and ammo is to test the weapons. How they fire, how you move with them, their effectiveness against enemies etc... godmode can be for that same reason. While testing weapons, you do not want to get killed when you make a change.

2. Everyone who is not skilled enough for finishing the game on the hardest level would still want to know what they've missed. Cheats would enable them to replay the game on the hardest level to see what they missed out. (this is actually why cheats sometimes have to be unlocked by a full play cycle; example: in Call of Duty 4 and higher, you can find intelligence. The more you have, the more cheats you unlock. In CoD4 the ultimate cheat for example is unlimited ammo and grenades, which brings me to point 3.

3. This is just for pure fun. Everyone sometime wants to feel almighty powerful. Enabling godmode and all weapons is a win-win combination. Might get boring rather quick, but it satisfies this almighty powerfulness feeling and its fun :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2010, 19:36:50 »
The cheat ruins the gaming experience though :O

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2010, 20:30:17 »
Nobody is forcing you to use it.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.