[Challenge/Environmental] Pestilence

• 48 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Challenge/Environmental] Pestilence
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 00:06:26 »
I played/tried to play this recently but got thrown out rather abruptly, while still only having a couple of powerups. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the ending?

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

That said, I enjoyed the level - what I saw of it - rather more than I expected to. I've played a few other levels with a similar look and idea, and found them barely navigable; yours has the happy distinction of actually being navigable.

Also, there were some screens that were actually quite beautiful, in a surreal, fractured way.

The music was a nice touch, too.

Thank you! The surreal+fractured look and feel is exactly what I was aiming for, and I do have a few favorite screens that kind of stand out visually... Particularly in places one doesn't have to visit in order to complete the level,
I wonder what you'd think of Moonlight (which is purely environmental and very short)? I tried giving it more, um, of the beautiful beautiful fractured quality.  :crazy:

Also, I wasn't aware of any other levels that tried the same idea, could you point me to one or two?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 00:20:19 by yohji »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 00:23:18 »
Well, the "same idea" is probably overstating the case a bit - I was mainly referring to the very fractured, non-coherent visual impression. There's a level called "Find the Bug" by Lingon which has a bit of that going on, and then, there's another level that I'd rather not talk about as it's a hidden secret within another level. *g* I never finished either of those.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 00:34:09 »
Well, the "same idea" is probably overstating the case a bit - I was mainly referring to the very fractured, non-coherent visual impression. There's a level called "Find the Bug" by Lingon which has a bit of that going on, and then, there's another level that I'd rather not talk about as it's a hidden secret within another level. *g* I never finished either of those.

Thanks! Playing Find the Bug now, and am suitably confused by the level's layout C)p

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 12:01:48 »
Yet another update to Pestilence:
http://www.jashiin.com/miscellany/Yohji%20-%20Pestilence.knytt.bin
Turns out my old monitor was too dark even with brightness and contrast both set to 100%. So what I saw as black goop apparently was, well, flat purple stuff for everyone else. I edited the tileset. Hopefully no more updates required O_o

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 00:00:04 »
So over all I really liked this level.  I thought you did a pretty good job creating a chaotic environment.  The black death creeping through is nice, and I love the water section.

My primary criticism would be for the dialogue.  This could have been the thing to make this a great story by giving subtle or indirect hints as to what the darkness is, how these people entered this chaotic realm... and how the fish thing fits in.  :)  Instead they are almost all just shouting in fear and frustration.  I suppose many of them would be doing this, but it seems others would be pensive, and more than willing to share their thoughts on where they are and why.

I was initially not crazy about the hap-hazard use of tilesets to make the level chaotic, but it grew on me.

Overall, I give it a 3.5 of 5.  :)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 11:48:02 »
Eh, I thought there was a spoiler somewhere in the topic where I explained stuff, but apparently there isn't, or I can't find it. Anyway, it kind of had to have that dialogue, because the entire plot is this:

Most of the level I designed with no particular goal or story in mind, but then the story sort of happened and fit nicely... I thought I implemented it badly with those animations being too explanatory, but apparently I was wrong  <_<

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 13:59:19 »
Hmmm... interesting.

I just replayed it to see if there was dialogue or insights I missed, and here is my thoughts:

The opening and ending scenes feel symbolic and the game play feels like people trapped in a chaotic, mechanical mess.  They talked like people trying to be free of a trap, rather than acting as parts of an organic whole which they must save.  So, from the opening scene, I thought it was the Player who had been "hooked" and dragged into some strange bubble universe with all these other people.  This is made more likely by the "I must find a teleporter," which is certainly something I would expect to here if I where trapped in a bubble universe.  I only just now found the good ending and wasn't even sure I have received the bad ending.  You had a hint that climbing upwards didn't help, but you also had a hint that explosions set us free, so it was just a bit confusing.

I can see how the various triangles and thing pipes, even the black ooze, has a certain fish quality to them, but it is very abstract and unclear. 

So, my 2 cents is that the idea of getting caught in chaotic bubble universe is quite good, and a symbolic representation of becoming trapped then freed is consistent with that.  So, plot wise, I think your game has a plot you didn't intend.  :)  I guess I would like to see that plot elaborated on by a little dialogue here and there.  Maybe all you would need is a few scientists, one referring to his lab work and how sorry he is, another talking about about how the pocket universe consists of his lab components, and thus somewhere there should be a portal. 

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 17:38:39 »
Eh, interesting. I don't really have the strength or the motivation to work on the level further; otherwise I think I'd maybe incorporate some of your suggestions, one way or another... I guess I should've asked people to beta test.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 19:41:12 »
After much hesitation I decided I will make and release an expanded version of this level, which will be titled Pestilence 2.0. It will do away with the plot I described in this thread, removing the fish and the teleporter entirely, provide all-new, very abstract, endings, and will feature at least one new area, and new music.

Normally I don't like continually reworking older stuff, but I can't help it; ideas for this expanded version just started flowing in, and at some point I couldn't resist anymore.

Also, in case anyone was watching the topics I made in the Previews section, most of those levels (Silly World, Complacency, Winter World,...) are still being worked on, and by no means abandoned. That said, I'll probably release Pestilence 2.0 first.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 19:49:47 »
I really do love your work yohji, and I'm looking forward to this.  :)

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 20:47:28 »
There is still some glitches.
1 - Somewhere you can walk on the black thing
2-3-4 Wallswim (for 3, yes it's possible to wallswim that way)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 00:08:36 »
Eh, thank you for these. I've made the level a long time ago and I haven't asked anyone to beta test, so mistakes like those are still present... If I get to release the second version, I'll try to recruit people to beta test it.

The black stuff is actually the worst problem, since it has to do with the way instant death tiles work in KS, which is extremely irritating. Maybe I'll just make my own tileset of black goop, one that would work better within the editor's limitations.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 22:33:29 »
playthrough to the fishy ending http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuVmfxCMVbQ

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2010, 19:55:11 »
playthrough to the fishy ending http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuVmfxCMVbQ

Wow! Thank you very much! Noone has ever let's played my levels before...  :whoa: :crazy: :D

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 02:17:24 »
I could've sworn i posted a reply here... oh well
 i love this level as you have created a controlled chaos, quite amazing
anyway thats all i wanted to say  :D