Can't figure out flags...

• 13 Replies

Offline Shenjoku

• View Profile
Can't figure out flags...
« on: March 09, 2009, 22:41:40 »
Hey there, I'm trying to add rooms to a map that run through and check flags 0-7 to shift to the next room but I can't get it to work. The first room works fine but after that I can't get anything. like for example we have this room repeated 8 times:

You get shifted in on top of ShiftA which checks for flag 0 then shifts to the next room where that room checks for flag 1 to shift to the next room and so on. But for some reason only the first shift works. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 23:27:46 by Shenjoku »

Re: Can't figure out flags...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 23:20:34 »
Warps require you entering the warp screen. Perhaps you could explain more?
Lurk more.

Offline Shenjoku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 23:26:25 »
not sure what else there is to explain...I guess i should say shift instead of warp though since that's what I'm using.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 00:25:11 »
Oh. You need to use flag warps. There's no such thing as a flag shift.
Lurk more.

Offline Shenjoku

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:16:59 »
ohhhhhh....so the flag check only happens when you change screens or something? I have no idea how to get that to work with this situation then x.x Unless there's some way to force a warp?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:22:12 by Shenjoku »

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:49:50 »
Actually, you use a shift to turn a flag on and/or off.  You will only be able to turn on/off three flags in one room.  This is because there are only three shifts, A, B, and C.  So, you would have to repeat the room like you are doing to turn every Flag on.

I could write up something on Flags if you need me to.  Or maybe try reading through My Cut Scene Tutorial if you haven't already.  Let me know, and I'll try to go as in depth as I can.  :D  I just dont have the time tonight, sleepy time is on it's way!
Teeeheee

Offline Shenjoku

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:52:44 »
The problem isn't in turning the flags on, they should already be on by this point and what I want to do is make sure the user can not get to the correct room without checking all 8 (0-7) flags

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:15:12 »
Have 8 separate screens, each with a shift to the next. Then, have each shift turn off one of those flags. Then, havve another shift on the same screen and tile, so when you don't warp with ShiftA, you'll warp back with ShiftB to a screen where the old guy tells you that you don't have the Triforce. :O
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Shenjoku

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 02:34:35 »
but the other guy mentioned already that you can't use flags with shifts. I tried that already. And I don't want to turn off the flags. If I do that then you won't ever be able to come back if you happen to leave for whatever reason.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:05:58 »
but the other guy mentioned already that you can't use flags with shifts. I tried that already. And I don't want to turn off the flags. If I do that then you won't ever be able to come back if you happen to leave for whatever reason.
Yes you can. ._. Click on the shift and go to "flags" in the lower-right corner. And you can have a warp out of there back to wherever that warps you to 8 different screens that turns on your flags when you leave. ;)

And, you mean shifts, as in the green boxes, not warps, with the orange, 4 arrow box, right?
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:35:36 »
Well, guess I just wasted my time making this demo. X-P Ah well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:37:24 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:29 »
Use warps. (The orange 4-arrow box thingy.) If the first flag is enabled, warp the player to an identical screen. If the next flag is enabled, warp to the next, and on and on. Only the final screen should have the new room. Then, the warps on all the previous screens should warp back to the adjoining room.

Offline Shenjoku

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 04:29:29 »
I almost have it working x.x The warp from the last screen is the only broken one now. For some reason it works perfectly fine if I play it using the play test from the editor, but when I actually run through the entire game from start to finish the last room never catches flag 7 no matter how many time I go and set it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:10:28 by Shenjoku »

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 05:18:36 »
Use warps. (The orange 4-arrow box thingy.)
You don't actually need that for flag warps.
Also, did you look at my demo? I think it adequately shows how to do it. :|
Lurk more.