[DOS game] [Adventure] The Legend of Kyrandia (disapproved)

• 12 Replies

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
[DOS game] [Adventure] The Legend of Kyrandia (disapproved)
« on: December 15, 2009, 19:57:39 »
Do you remember MS-DOS and it's games? Do you still like these games? The Legend of Kyrandia is very nice DOS game with a insteresting story. It would be very good for you.

page
Spoiler: Game review (click to show/hide)

You can find another parts of triology there.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:49:28 by LPChip »

Re: [DOS game] [Adventure] The Legend of Kyrandia
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 20:10:38 »
Forgive my backseatmoderating, but has this actually been released as freeware? It doesn't matter if it the the chances of it ever been sold again are 1/infinity, if it's not been released as freeware it's very legally ambiguous to download it. Beneath A Steel Sky, for instance, was released as freeware, but Monkey Island was not. Looks a good game, mind you :)

Offline Solarn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 20:33:47 »
Legend of Kyrandia and its two sequels are all incredibly awesome. I advise getting them wherever you can, even if they aren't legally freeware.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 21:43:57 »
Go Pirates!
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 22:40:56 »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:58:16 »
Forgive my backseatmoderating, but has this actually been released as freeware? It doesn't matter if it the the chances of it ever been sold again are 1/infinity, if it's not been released as freeware it's very legally ambiguous to download it. Beneath A Steel Sky, for instance, was released as freeware, but Monkey Island was not. Looks a good game, mind you :)
The Westerwood studios are away, and it is on official site of old games abandonia.com, I think that it is freeware.

Anyway, if you have problems with music or you got suck in game, write here.
I played it many times in czechversion, so I can help you.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 17:33:42 »
Abandonia is not "official."  Not one bit.  Virtually everything described as "abandonware" is illegal to download.  (Okay, so I guess it's a civil offense in the U.S.A., but...)
Granted, certain countries do not have laws pertaining to this, but given this is an international forum...yeah.  I'm not a moderator here, obviously, but this is against the board rules, and it seems the entire staff has turned a blind eye to it.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 18:29:36 »
this is against the board rules, and it seems the entire staff has turned a blind eye to it.

That'd be a far-fetched conclusion, given that this thread started only yesterday, and that no-one has reported it.  <_<

If you see something that you think is against the forum rules, bring it to the staff's attention by using the Report to moderator link found at the bottom right corner of every post. If you'd done that and a week later still nothing happened, then maybe you could make a point about staff 'turning a blind eye' to the issue.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 18:56:44 by SiamJai »

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 00:52:38 »
...so.. why dont you, a global mod say what you think about dis issue?

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:57:49 »
Because I don't know enough about this issue yet, so while I'm finding out more, I did what I suggested to you guys: reported it for discussion. ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:32:17 by SiamJai »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 02:35:32 »
That'd be a far-fetched conclusion, given that this thread started only yesterday,

far-fetched conclusions prove a point!  no, really!

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 02:39:10 »
That'd be a far-fetched conclusion, given that this thread started only yesterday,

far-fetched conclusions prove a point!  no, really!
That is quite a far-fetched conclusion, given that only one far-fetched conclusion has been made so far, and it's still up to debate.

8)
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:48:21 »
Regardless of how far-fetched things are and that these are making the topic off-topic (seen Official Forum Rules lately anyone?) I'm going to make a final conclusion.

With thanks to SiamJai, we've looked things up. Regardless of a game being abandonware, it simply doesn't loose its copyright, and thus that site is violating the copyrights. So yes, it is illegal.

For that reason, I'm going to remove the download link and the topic will be removed within a week. If a game you early had to pay for is announced by the owner to be public domain/free, then its allowed. In this case, the owner does no longer exists, but the copyright still does. In the modern world, copyright doesn't expire if the person (say, band/singer/etc) dies. So neither does it for this game. As we're against illegal things here, I'm not going to allow this. So to ensure that a game is free, you must be able to download it for free on the owners website.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex