Juni's Movement mechanics

• 21 Replies
Re: Juni's Movement mechanics
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:41:06 »
Well, I believe 45 gravity means the character's acceleration is .45 pixels/frame/sec * 50 frames/sec = 22.5 pixels/sec2
Lurk more.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 08:14:37 »
Well, I believe 45 gravity means the character's acceleration is .45 pixels/frame/sec * 50 frames/sec = 22.5 pixels/sec2
assuming you mean .45 pixels per frame, that makes sense, but where does the 2 come in? (I cant seem to think mathematically ATM)

Also, is it a constant force, or acceleration? I would try to figure this out myself but I don't have MMF2.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 09:12:56 »
Acceleration is measured in units/time/time. The frame rate plays a key role in calculation, and that's measured in frames/sec. Now, I had to cancel out the frames, so I put in pixels/frame. I knew there had to be an additional time unit somewhere, so I.. wait. It should actually be:

.45 pixels per (frame)2, where 50 frames = second. Therefore it is:
   .45 pixels/frame2 * (50 frames/sec)2
= 2500*.45 pixels/sec2
= 1125 pixels/sec/sec
Lurk more.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 12:10:43 »
still not sure what the square is for :P2 And so it IS acceleration?

the way i see it ATM is:
.45 pixels per frame * 50 frames a second = 22.5 pixels per second acceleration
22.5 pixels per second / 30 (Game Maker) frames per second = 0.75 pixels per frame gravitational acceleration using G's inbuilt gravity function.

I don't currently have GameMaker on hand, I will test this theorem tomorrow.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 13:33:00 »
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm trying to make a platform custom object that has to 'fall' at the same speed as Juni. Can someone spell out for dumbass little me how many pixels per frame this platform should move down per frame, and what I should set as animspeed? Thanks in advance :)

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 00:33:45 »
still not sure what the square is for :P2 And so it IS acceleration?
Have you taken any calc classes yet? Acceleration is a measure of change in velocity. Velocity is measured in units per time. Because acceleration is how much velocity changes over time, it's units per time per time.
Further explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre_per_second_squared
Lurk more.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 00:52:37 »
Ok, now i get you. The gravity expressed as .75 in GM's functions seems to work (the correction due to the change in framerates), however if i set the jump strength to the equivalent, it reproduces a high jump, not a normal jump...

And no, I haven't done Calculus  at school yet, we've been focusing on surds, binominal theorem and the various equations of a straight line