Are environmental levels more or less unique to KS? Or are they common...

• 5 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
in other games that allow level building, too? Just curious! Well, and I'm currently building a new website about my levels, and would like to include a bit of info about KS in general, and the genre "environmental" in particular.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Depends on the game type. For example, games like Half-Life 2 feature a great environmental system, but usually you see more people trying to kill things, mainly because there are guns in it. KS tends to lend itself more to environmental levels simply because you can't kill anything, I think.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
The concept is not limited to KS and Nifflas' other games. It's quite possible to make neat Environmental levels in Spore's level editor too, for example. But whether they're common enough, I'm not sure.

The problem could be that to make environmental levels engaging takes more effort than most other types of genre, perhaps because of the lack of action. Good environmentals convey certain moods with well-chosen sounds and graphics, which I'd imagine requires some artistic talent.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
It's quite possible to make neat Environmental levels in Spore's level editor too, for example.

I...wasn't aware Spore had a level editor. Or even had levels, for that matter.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
It's quite possible to make neat Environmental levels in Spore's level editor too, for example.

I...wasn't aware Spore had a level editor. Or even had levels, for that matter.
Its only in the expansion pack, Wich adds "Missions" created by users that involves landing on a planet and do stuff on it.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Ahhhh.