About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself

• 131 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2014, 18:49:59 »
Well, unfortunately this threshold is not by us to decide. It is by Nintendo. But lets say that 100 levels are made with mario, and that each has 100 hits. Those are 100000 hits.

But the problem starts when search engines start to give this priority, something that will happen eventually, especially when demand gets higher due to more levels featuring Mario.

Basically, if I say yes to this, everyone will think its okay and don't even ask. My job is to point out the risks, even if they are little.

So is it safe? This one instance if done properly, yeah, probably. But am I 100% sure of that? No. Can I be? No. I am not the CEO of Nintendo.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2014, 00:20:23 »
Well, unfortunately this threshold is not by us to decide. It is by Nintendo. But lets say that 100 levels are made with mario, and that each has 100 hits. Those are 100000 hits.

100x100=10000  :P2

Also I saw some news on a free ios game called floppy bird or flappy bird that got super-popular and it was using certain mario graphics like the green pipes. But Nintendo didn't respond to that so either they're chill with it or they don't have a case with it or they'll lose on it. And that floppy bird game is like millions times bigger than a ks level. If you've studied law what's that about? Shouldn't Nintendo take action?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2014, 03:47:19 »
Also I saw some news on a free ios game called floppy bird or flappy bird that got super-popular and it was using certain mario graphics like the green pipes. But Nintendo didn't respond to that so either they're chill with it or they don't have a case with it or they'll lose on it. And that floppy bird game is like millions times bigger than a ks level. If you've studied law what's that about? Shouldn't Nintendo take action?

Flappy Bird didn't use any directly ripped graphics, just pipes that are green and vaguely resemble those seen in Mario. A Nintendo representative has more or less stated they have no issue with this.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2014, 18:41:47 »
Exactly. The problem with Mario is that it's trademarked and so it's not just an element resembling an element from Nintendo game, it's a thing in its own.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2014, 18:51:39 »
Actually there is high speculation that Nintendo did nicely asked him to put the game off the market or else.

He then suddenly took the game from the market becaues he felt it was too addictive. Then all kinds of clones pop up and they are banned from both iTunes store and Google Play. If you ask me, this has Nintendo written all over it.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:32 »
 I should've said thanks like 2 weeks ago, so thanks.
 Also the reason why I ask the question about derivative works was because back then I heard about Knytt stories , my first thoughts was for a first level is to have Juni exploring the Planet Zebes from the video game Super Metroid on the SNES. However because of my lack of knowledge of Level editing and that I was using v1.0.4. I never went any farther from there. Now that I have a lot more knowledge than back then and that I was using a different version of Knytt stories. I now want to accomplish what I started with. Now from what I read of the uses of created derivative art including enemies and the planets environment. So I guess it's best to keep it to myself. 

Finally what's the link to Knyttroid? I couldn't find any sources asides from a .jpg image.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2014, 03:19:09 »
Finally what's the link to Knyttroid? I couldn't find any sources asides from a .jpg image.

It's from this page, I don't recall the tilesets ever being released.

Offline Kira

• I can see u now !
    • View Profile
    • illustrators-web-gallery
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2014, 15:49:33 »
Just one simple question, we can use music from free music archive isn't it ?
http://freemusicarchive.org/
I do not speak English very well. I apologize in advance for my mistakes or my misunderstanding.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2014, 19:15:35 »
Just one simple question, we can use music from free music archive isn't it ?
http://freemusicarchive.org/

As stated in the FAQ on freemusicarchive.org it depends on the license given with each song. So is it allowed? possibly. Make sure by checking the license assigned to each song. Some songs will have different requirements for them to use than others, and some may not be used in your project at all.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Kira

• I can see u now !
    • View Profile
    • illustrators-web-gallery
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2014, 10:15:40 »
Excuse me if this question has already been asked.
Can I use music that is a free remix of copyrighted music?

For example can I use this remix of music by David Whittaker (a composer of video game music of the 80s) if the remixer is OK?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWr5Rxs_HE

Kira
I do not speak English very well. I apologize in advance for my mistakes or my misunderstanding.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2014, 11:16:11 »
Excuse me if this question has already been asked.
Can I use music that is a free remix of copyrighted music?

For example can I use this remix of music by David Whittaker (a composer of video game music of the 80s) if the remixer is OK?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWr5Rxs_HE

Kira

Technically, I think the remix itself is legally questionable in the first place. You would have to seek permission from the copyright holder of the original song (which may or may not be David Whittaker) to be completely in the clear.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2014, 21:49:39 »
Given that I'm very active in the C64 remix scene, and I know many of the sceners as well as the legends, I can answer this. For C64 music to be allowed to be remixed, you have to look for if the original song for the game has copyrighted material in it. Some songs on the C64 are based on original work, and as such cannot be used obviously, where others are just simple compositions or more advanced. The C64 music has been declared public because the C64 itself doesn't exist anymore, and all programmers who made music for it have agreed that they're rather honoured by remixes than want to persue any legal actions.

So that means the remix from AliensVsCoronationSt is valid.

Now comes the part, can you use it? Ask the remixer. If he's okay, and proper credit is given to both the remixer and the original author (its only fair to do that) then you're all set. The credit would look like: Music: AliensVsCoronationSt, based on C64 music by David Wittaker.

MODPlug Central Forum